Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Has Monkey Wrench Brunch Gone Downhill?

by Leann C » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:33 pm

My husband and I stopped by Monkey Wrench on Sunday for the brunch buffet. In a word, awful (and we like the Monkey Wrench most of the time). The brunch buffet we had there about a year ago was fine, so I am wondering if things have gone downhill or were they just having an off day.

The food....
We spent some time, trying to figure out what was going on with the gravy. It was weirdly sweet. We finally decided that someone in the kitchen had intended to salt it and had mistakenly grabbed sugar.

The eggs were the pre-fab, bag stuff. Cold and bland. The sausage patties were super dry and oddly flavorless. Bacon soggy. Biscuits dry. Then there were other items we just couldn't figure out.

The grossest thing was this one chafing dish filled with roast beef strips and mashed potatoes -- all stirred up into one very gray, unappetizing mess. They weren't mixed up due to diners serving themselves and inadvertenly messing up the presentation. They were actually intended to be stirred together. The result was not pretty. I didn't try it.

I won't go on, but back to my original question. Was it just an off day? Has anyone else tried their Sunday buffet lately?
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:14 pm

I've only had the buffet once, and it seemed mostly prefab/thaw and bake stuff. IMO. I don't know that I'd call it bad, but certainly not impressive. But then I didn't expect to be very impressed for $10. But I didn't have sweet gravy and I don't eat meat so I would not have had the beef. The grits were quite strange, though.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:50 am

I've been once and it was almost inedible it was so bad.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:52 am

I've been three times. It is at its best when busy, there is much faster turnover in the buffet items and the taste is much better. When it has been slow, the buffet items have been . . . not as good. :shock:
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:09 pm

Charles W. wrote:It is at its best when busy, there is much faster turnover in the buffet items and the taste is much better. When it has been slow, the buffet items have been . . . not as good. :shock:

This could have been part of the problem. It was not very busy. There were only about eight diners when when we were there.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:14 pm

I had the buffet there about a year and a half ago and was really unimpressed. We've been back since for regular food, but I definitely wouldn't go back to the buffet. It was unfresh and blah.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Monkey Wrench.

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:46 pm

Velocity wrote a lil article today about 5 brunches. Here's what they had to say about MW:

Monkey Wrench

1025 N. Barret Ave.

The Bluegrass Brunch ($10) has always been a favorite. All your favorite breakfast dishes are here, along with delicious lunch selections. We enjoyed lemon-pepper breaded fish nuggets with garlic mashed potatoes. The biscuits and gravy and French toast with fruit toppings are a treat. The most unique feature is the Bluegrass music that plays while you eat.

Here's the link to the rest of the story - http://www.velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs ... 81001/1065
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:39 pm

I didnt know there was an uphill at that place. I have been there 4 times out of friendly pressure and all four times were atrocious. I can't believe that place survives.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".