Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sushi Rolls!?

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Sushi Rolls!?

by Kim H » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:12 pm

I have been eating sushi since 1982, well before it was popular (esp in WV!), but rarely ventured into the sushi rolls. I tended to stick with the typical nigiri. Last night, we tried the Son of the Jade Dragon and the Citrus Heat at Maido, and boy, have I been cheating myself!!!!! I enjoyed the mix of flavors so much, and now I want to try more! Could you all suggest your favorite rolls at your favorite locations? I think I found a new mission. :D
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: Sushi Rolls!?

by Mark Head » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:32 pm

The Smile Roll and Toro Hand Roll at Tokyo on Lime Kiln. The Lobster Roll and Cajun Crawfish Roll at Sapporo in the Highlands. I tend to also like rolls that have something warm in the center with raw fish on the outside.

In terms of rolls I think Maido is the most daring in town, if it can be described that way. Their food rocks, especially if I'm in the mood for something a bit non-traditional.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:47 pm

The Lotus Unfolding at Maido is amazing. I believe it is Hamachi and avocado on the inside and roasted pepper and eel on the outside. The combination of textures and flavors is a joy jag on the tongue.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:48 am

You know , it's odd, I can't remember how the taste was (I assume it was as fine as all the other rolls) but Sapporro made the most visionary roll I've ever seen. It was their Crystal roll. They used rice paper instead of the usual seaweed sheets. I remember when it was set in front of me how beautiful it was.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:03 am

While I prefer sashimi, Sapporo's Chili Tai Roll has a quite interesting taste profile. Super white tuna, red snapper and sweet chili sauce.......ummmm :D

Kim, I'd also try a traditional Maki Roll with nori on the outside and your fav fish inside. The crunchy mouthfeel of nori is often lost in an Uramaki (inside-out) roll.
Sapporo's Scallop nigiri (Hotate) ordered spicy Gunkan style is an inexpensive way to try nori outside.

Mark's comment about Tokyo's Toro Handroll has me craving that nori crunch followed by toro's lush flavor....heaven on earth!
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:00 am

My fiancee and I ate dinner last night at Osaka on Frankfurt Ave, and shared two appetizers and three rolls. The Cherry blossom roll was absolutely amazing! Beautiful presentation as well as great taste. Osaka is a lovely place, and I've always had good food and service there. My favorite sushi place is Caviar on Muhammed Ali Blvd. Their Saki list is incredible, and you have to check out there double dragon roll with both yellowfin and ahi tuna. Hope this helps!
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 am

Louisville has a wealth of great sushi bars. Fifteen years ago I would never have believed it.
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:23 am

I highly recommend THE TOP SECRET ROLL at Sapporo. They do not have it listed anywhere on the sushi list, you have to write it in yourself, but it is out of this world!
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:37 pm

GaryF wrote:The Lotus Unfolding at Maido is amazing. I believe it is Hamachi and avocado on the inside and roasted pepper and eel on the outside. The combination of textures and flavors is a joy jag on the tongue.

Man that sounds amazing. I am also a big fan of Osaka's Frankfort and KimChi rolls.
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:19 pm

I love the osaka blue roll at Maido's. Its a slow cooked tuna and has amazing flavors.

I also like a spider roll and eel roll that you can find at any sushi restaurant.
no avatar
User

Sohee Lacey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun May 11, 2008 5:48 pm

by Sohee Lacey » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:23 am

Kim - my family owns the new japanese restaurant, Sake Blue, out here in Fern Creek. I may be biased, but I really think that we have many delicious rolls! Here are my favorites:

* Chef Jack - special recipe spicy tun a, cucumber, masago, topped with fresh tuna, sliced avocado, itogaki (it's a dried shaved tuna), scallions, and spicy garlic sauce

* Ocean Drive - this is a very "clean" refreshing roll - tuna, yellowtail, avocado, fresh green pepper, cilantro, and spicy masago mayo wrapped with soft codfish paper. I think we're the only Japanese bistro that has the soft codfish paper...consistency is softer and thicker than soybean paper - it's a must try!

* Haba Berry - habanero (type of pepper) flavored salmon, deep fried jalepeno, masago, topped with strawberries, mango, and avocado, drizzled with Kiwi-green tea sauce. This is really good if you like fruit on your rolls. The kiwi green tea sauce is nice and subtle and goes well with the other ing. in the roll.

Anyway, those are a few of my favorites, ask for me if you come here to try our food, and I'll give you a few more recs!

-Sohee
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Sohee Lacey wrote:Kim - my family owns the new japanese restaurant, Sake Blue, out here in Fern Creek. I may be biased, but I really think that we have many delicious rolls! Here are my favorites:

* Chef Jack - special recipe spicy tun a, cucumber, masago, topped with fresh tuna, sliced avocado, itogaki (it's a dried shaved tuna), scallions, and spicy garlic sauce

* Ocean Drive - this is a very "clean" refreshing roll - tuna, yellowtail, avocado, fresh green pepper, cilantro, and spicy masago mayo wrapped with soft codfish paper. I think we're the only Japanese bistro that has the soft codfish paper...consistency is softer and thicker than soybean paper - it's a must try!

* Haba Berry - habanero (type of pepper) flavored salmon, deep fried jalepeno, masago, topped with strawberries, mango, and avocado, drizzled with Kiwi-green tea sauce. This is really good if you like fruit on your rolls. The kiwi green tea sauce is nice and subtle and goes well with the other ing. in the roll.

Anyway, those are a few of my favorites, ask for me if you come here to try our food, and I'll give you a few more recs!

-Sohee

Wow, those sound great! You have me curious about soft codfish paper, for sure. And the Chef Jack sounds right up my alley. I will admit that I'm not crazy about fruit with my rolls, personally, but I love the creativity of the Haba Berry. Where in Fern Creek are you exactly? We'd love to check it out!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions! Now, where to start? We live close to Tokyo Restaurant, and a foodie friend of ours has highly recommended their rolls as well. Maido is always on my radar, and now I want to try Sake Blue! Thanks again for all the input. I can't wait to go exploring!
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:40 pm

It's been a while since I've gone out specifically for sushi, mostly just a couple nigiri or a roll to go with our dinner at Hiko. Think I'm gonna write down some of these suggestions that I haven't already tried and head out somewhere tonight!
no avatar
User

Sohee Lacey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun May 11, 2008 5:48 pm

by Sohee Lacey » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Sake Blue is located off South Bardstown Road near the Gene Snyder. Not sure where you're located but if you are coming from downtown, head south on Bardstown Road until you enter Fern Creek. You'll see a Krogers and a Super Wal-Mart before you hit the Gene Snyder - we're located in the shopping center behind Burger King and Applebee's. Feel free to call me at 502-718-4902 if you get lost! The restaurant phone number is 502-708-1500.

Also - our hours are:

Lunch:
Monday-Friday: 11:30-2:30pm
Saturday: Dinner only
Sunday: 12pm-9:30pm

Dinner:
Monday-Thursday: 5-10pm
Friday-Saturday: 4:30pm-11pm
Sunday: 12pm-9:30pm

=) Hope that helps!
Next