Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/LHB: Lunch and antiques, not necessarily in that order

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:47 pm

LEO's Eats with Louisville HotBytes.com

Ladies who lunch and go antique shopping (and men who do the same) have an unprecedented wealth of options these days, as a series of moves and changes has expanded the antique mall circuit from one popular eatery to three.

Let's summarize: When the Louisville Antique Mall on Goss Avenue announced plans last year to move from its hulking 19th century brick industrial building to a different hulking 19th century brick industrial building on East Broadway, its critically acclaimed lunch spot, The Café, went off on its own to open a free-standing restaurant just east of downtown.

Then, not long after the Louisville Antique Mall made its move to East Broadway, a new luncheon establishment on its fifth floor revived the name of the old Colonnade cafeteria downtown. The move didn't leave the old building on Goss vacant for long: Soon the Goss Avenue Antique Mall opened in slightly different but overlapping quarters. And sure enough, it has a lunch spot, too, dubbed Olivia's Restaurant.

We've reviewed The Café (LEO Weekly, Nov. 28, 2007) and found it splendid. This week, let's look at the other two.

Colonnade Café
Louisville Antique Mall
834 E. Broadway
749-3105
http://www.colonnadecafe.com
Robin Garr's rating: 78 points

Olivia's Restaurant
The Goss Avenue Antique Mall
946 Goss Ave.
409-6160
http://www.oliviasongoss.com
Robin Garr's rating: 72 points

Read the complete report in LEO and on LouisvilleHotBytes.
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

Re: LEO/LHB: Lunch and antiques, not necessarily in that order

by Scott Schamel » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Robin, did you forget about another Antique Mall lunch location??????
If you keep looking back, you will miss what's ahead....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Scott Schamel wrote:Robin, did you forget about another Antique Mall lunch location??????

Never, Scott! :)

But in this specific context, we were looking at the ripple effect of the Goss Avenue move, sorry. I'll find a way to make it up to you!
no avatar
User

Jess T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

by Jess T » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:00 pm

The cobb salad is a work of art at the Colonnade Cafe. But the tomato soup may be the best thing on the menu! (we do a lot of antiquing)
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:39 pm

I think that's a review that the two places rather not have. At least they have good tea :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Brian Curl wrote:I think that's a review that the two places rather not have. At least they have good tea :lol:

In retrospect, the ratings almost seem a little high, don't they, Brian? Still, I'd rate most of the food as average rather than awful, and the setting and service in both places was quite good, until the guy at the Colonnade got in the weeds - and I blame management, not him, for that.
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:19 am

Jess T wrote:The cobb salad is a work of art at the Colonnade Cafe. But the tomato soup may be the best thing on the menu! (we do a lot of antiquing)

Well then, Jess, you will have to come in and try my Cobb Salad sometime. Also, there are a lot of fun activities going on this Saturday (the 18th) at Derby City Antique Mall.
If you keep looking back, you will miss what's ahead....