Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tomato Pie

User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

Tomato Pie

by Erin Riedel » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:04 am

Hi everybody! I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first time posting. I can't begin to express how much I love this forum. Great news about restaurants and stimulating conversation to boot!

Anyway. I'm wondering if any of you know of a place to get tomato pie in Louisville. A friend of mine who lives in PA was raving about it. I'd never heard of such a thing and turned to Google. This led me to a Paula Deen recipe that included fresh tomatoes, cheese, and a cup of mayonnaise (and a few other things) in a deep-dish pie shell. I should have known that this was not at all the same thing since my friend mentioned that hers came from an Italian restaurant, and Paula Deen (to say nothing of recipes involving cups of mayonnaise in pie shells) is anything but Italian. But I made this monstrosity anyway. It was... Well, let's just say that my boyfriend and I both had seconds, and about half an hour later we were wishing we'd never made the thing. I started calling it mayonnaise pie which thoroughly disgusted my boyfriend, and it is now known in our house simply as M.P.

Further research revealed that Italian tomato pie is absolutely nothing like this. It basically sounds a lot like pizza but with just a little bit of cheese sprinkled on top after baking, and it's typically served at room temperature. I might try making it this weekend, but I wondered if there was some place in town that really does it right. It sounds like it's very popular in the northeast, but I've never seen it around here.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Tomato Pie

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:24 am

Erin Riedel wrote:Hi everybody! I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first time posting. I can't begin to express how much I love this forum. Great news about restaurants and stimulating conversation to boot!

Erin, a warm welcome to you! It's a special pleasure to greet a person who bears the name of a pricey wine glass. ;)

Okay, tomato pie: I'm a pretty serious student of all things Italian, but this is ringing only a distant bell with me, associated specifically with Italian-American eateries in upstate New York. Like a pizza but made in a big pan with fresh cooked tomatoes?

I don't recall ever seeing this in Louisville - or, for that matter, in Italy. But I'd start by asking the good folks at Melillo's if they've ever heard of it, and if so, whether they could whomp one up; there is no place better in Louisville for Italian-American cookery in the style of New York and NJ.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

If the do........

by Bill Veneman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:27 am

I would love to give it a try.......sounds WONDERFUL
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:50 am

They serve Tomato Pies in Trenton, NJ, but in most cases its pretty close (or exactly) pizza, but really good pizza:

Trenton Tomato Pies
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

Jersey Tomato Pies

by Vince Yustas » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:46 pm

When I was growing up ('40s-'50s) they used to have tomato pie stands on the boardwalks on the Jersey shore (Seaside Hts., Atlantic City, Wildwood). Basically, they were "personal size" pizzas (fairly thin crust) without the cheese. After they were baked you sprinkled on the grated cheese and the crushed red peppers. Then you went down the block for clams on the half shell!
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestion of Melillo's. I'll give them a try. If nothing else I think my boyfriend and I are going to go to Philly this summer (and we're planning this trip almost entirely around things we want to eat) so I will get my hands on some there.

Robin, I keep hoping that Riedel will someday bestow some gifts on me to acknowledge our kinship, but so far they haven't! ;)