Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Benefit for Oak St. Pizza

User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Benefit for Oak St. Pizza

by Bill Veneman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:04 am

Friends, I wish I could have been there during all the festivities. Sounds like it was an incredable evening. I did manage to go by early (Matthew it was good to meet you) and drop off my contribution.

Marsha, I tip my hat to both you and Matthew. Anyone who can put something of this caliber together on such short notice......WOW. Impressive! :mrgreen:

And the news coverage on it.....again, WOW :shock:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:06 am

Mary and I dropped in early and stayed for a couple of hours before moving on and leaving the evening to the young 'uns. Agreed on all counts: Marsha and Matthew did an outstanding job, and many thanks to all those in the Louisville restaurant community, and foodie community, who made it happen!
no avatar
User

Paul Pfister

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 pm

greater Germantown

by Paul Pfister » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:08 am

Marsha and Matthwew

Just wanted to add my kudos for a great event organized in record time. What a wonderful evening for such a worthy cause.

BTW, now that this is over have you all thought about turning your attention to world peace?
"a pinch or a pound, a tad or a ton"-Nuts n Stuff
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:17 pm

Thank you everyone who contributed to last night. It was amazing to see the community come together!
I'm busy cleaning up the place and recovering.
I couldn't have done it without HotBytes and the whole Louisville community.
Marsh was amazing and it wouldn't have been possible without her!
Thanks also to Shawn Vest of the Charlestown Pizza Company for helping me behind the bar last night.
I think last night was the single biggest night DCE has ever seen!
It was a pleasure to meet so many people from the forum as well.
Matthew
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:26 pm

any word on the total $$$ raised for Adam????
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:12 pm

This is approximate, but pretty close:

Dessert sales - $179
Live auction - $1,860
Raffle ticket sales - $1,323
Beverage donations ($1 from each sale) - between 200-250 or so

So, right at $3,500 raised for Adam. It was nice to finally meet him and some of his family was there, too - it's nice to know he's not totally alone in the world on top of everything else that's happened!

I think we may have had a cash donation bucket on the bar (but I'm not sure about this), so anything in there would be additional, plus I know some folks stopped by earlier in the day/week with cash donations, some of which Matthew already gave to Adam to help tide him over.

Only one person won something during the live auction and then didn't either pick it up from me or pay. Frankly I was running around like a crazy person after the auction trying to get everyone their receipts, their purchases, and the stuff they won in the raffle, and she may not have been able to stay. So, "Holly", if you're out there, please get in touch with me, I still have your gift certificates, and I'm sure Adam could use the money. If we don't hear from her in a few days, I'll offer them here in this thread for someone to buy.

I owe an apology to a few folks whose donations for the auction came in sort of last-minute and I'd not made signage for them - I had every intention of making signs on the spot, but I got very busy at the dessert table and someone else (angels! whoever you were) took my pre-made signs and my rough-draft list for the auctioneer and sort of magic-ed it all into happening - but I neglected to tell them about the few things I hadn't noted down. Maybe in a few days I can add those things to the unclaimed gift certificates above and we can have a mini-auction here on the forum. I felt especially bad that I forgot to auction off the beautiful chrysanthemums that John and Anne Hagan brought - must have been well over a hundred dollars' worth. Of course, they were gracious about it and totally understood, but I felt like a complete heel.

Only two raffle lots were unclaimed at the end of the night - all the other winners were present when their tickets were drawn. The names are nobody I recognize, but I have phone numbers for both, so I'll be contacting them.

Big thanks to Rebecca Clark for helping with PR, selling raffle tickets on the fly and for being "Vanna White" for the auctioneer. The auctioneer was Ted Leobenberg, and not only did he give us some fantastic advice about how to maximize profits for Adam, he was kind and funny and energetic and a great auctioneer, to boot. Ted was sent to us by Melissa R, who also did a lot of PR and she and her husband Tom also bought a lot of raffle tickets and won a couple auctions....then, near the end of the night, I called her "Michelle", probably for the second time at least - no excuse. I was tired, but I know who you are, Melissa! It's just that there are quite a few Melissas and Michelles on the forum and four or five of them were involved in some way with a donation.

Big thanks are due to the dessert donors, Baxter Station (Amy), Melillo's (Michelle - see, there's another one) Andrea E. of Q&A Sweet Treats, and Leah Frickin' Stewart, who made the most beautiful cookies I've ever seen, brought her husband, daughter and son-in-law along, and all of them bid on live auction items and spent tons of money on raffle tickets, got the word out to the Old Louisville neighborhood association, and on top of everything else, in the midst of the pandemonium, I heard her say "Marsha! You've lost some weight!" Man, that was like cool water on my fevered brow at that point - thanks a million, Leah!

I gave John the camera and instructed him to take pictures, but I haven't even downloaded them yet....if there's any good ones, I'll post 'em. It was nice to meet Bret and Shawn, nice to see everyone from the forum I've met before, and a whole lot of fun. I was amazed at how easy it was to get restaurant owners, especially, to donate auction items.

Last but not least, thanks, Matthew for hosting a fun and worthy event, and thanks, Robin, for bringing us all together in the first place.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:33 pm

applause
nice work Marsha

this is community support and one of the many reasons i love LOUISVILLE

thanks everyone
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

SheilaB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Louisville

by SheilaB » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Marsha

Great meeting you last night - the lemon sunshine cake is every bit as delicious as everyone has said. I anxiously await the opening of Lou Lou at the Loop.

I couldn't stick around for the live auction as I had other commitments so bring on the on-line auction!

Sheila
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey Matt

was it your biggest night??
and how was Green River
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:09 pm

I would say that at 250 drinks sold it was arguably the biggest night ever at DCE.
The green River was awesome. 3 mile canoe yesterday, fantastic camping and fire last night and an 8 mile canoe today.
I'm exhausted but in a good way.
Back to work tomorrow at 11.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:10 am

sweet
rest well
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
Previous