Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Stacey M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:48 am

Louisville

Shooting at Oak Street Pizza

by Stacey M » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Sad news.

From CJ website:

A man identified as the owner of Oak Street Pizza was shot at the business shortly after 9 p.m. this evening.

The shooting occurred during a robbery, according to Louisville Metro Police.

The victim was alive when he was transported to a hospital, but no further information was available on his condition.

Oak Street was blocked with yellow police tape in front of the store and police were questioning potential witnesses in the area.

Tim King, who said he makes deliveries for the business, identified the victim as the owner of the business.

Tyler Duncan, who lives in an apartment building next to the business at 125 E. Oak St., said he heard what he believed was a single gunshot about 9:10 p.m.

“It sounded like it was far away,” Duncan said of the sound. But he was surprised when he went outside and saw police cars in the immediate vicinity.

Check http://www.courier-journal.com for updates.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Shooting at Oak Street Pizza

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Vary sad news. We love their pies and have had quite a few lovely conversations with the owner while waiting for our pie. Our son just bought pies for his Boy Scout troop while ther were working at St. James. Thoughts and prayers to the victim and we hope they catch the perpetrator.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:47 am

Very sad news, indeed!
I've had a number of conversations with the owner, who's name I cannot remember. He moved here just about a year ago from Vermont.
I will keep him and his family in my thoughts.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:01 am

I didn't think much of it when I heard a bunch of sirens this evening. Unfortunately, sirens are an everyday occurrence in the Old Louisville area. Although I live right across the street from the Pizza place, my "in the rear of the condo unit" location must have made me oblivious to the situation

I have not been in the actual store, but, speaking as a neighbor, that sure seems like a pretty "public" area to commit a crime. Road traffic probably was light being that it was Sunday, but hopefully someone saw something. There's always at least some traffic in the area, as Oak is a major E-W route as well as a direct way to I-65 South.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:27 am

According to the CJ this morning, Adam is stable. He was shot in the side, they have no suspects at this time.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:55 am

MikeG wrote:According to the CJ this morning, Adam is stable. He was shot in the side, they have no suspects at this time.

Good news, but the situation is very sad. Hasn't Adam been on the forum? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him here.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:58 am

He used to post here because I recall him discussing some people critiques of the food.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:01 am

Adam is a really good guy and I hate to hear this. Glad he is stable. I am not sure that Adam was ever on here, but I do remember one of his workers at the time, Casey being on after they first opened. Thoughts and prayers are with Adam.
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:56 am

I worked briefly at Carly Rae's, and remember Adam very well, as he used to drop in for a beer after work from time to time. Very nice man. I remember a couple of us strolling down to his place with him after hours (and after a few drinks) and he cooked a delicious New York pizza for us. I sincerely hope that Adam is doing OK, and wish him the best. Hang in there, Adam!
no avatar
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

by Sally M » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 am

Adam has definitely been engaged in threads on this forum - one thread I remember was radius of his delivery zone, another discussed the efforts he's trying to make to produce a quality product and please customers.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:06 am

Sally M wrote:Adam has definitely been engaged in threads on this forum - one thread I remember was radius of his delivery zone, another discussed the efforts he's trying to make to produce a quality product and please customers.

He's a good guy! Once it's clear that he's out of the woods, we ought to try to come up with something nice to do for him.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:09 am

I totally agree :!:
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 am

hey guys. i just left adam at the hospital. he is ok, but very emotional. with his permission here is what happened and his current status. 2 guys came in and ordered food. moments klater one pulled a gun and demanded adam empty his register and his pockets. adam complied, but the gunman became upset when he saw there wansnt much there. adam explained it had been a slow day. the gunman then shot adam twice hitting him once. adam had surgery last night to repair damage to his lung and liver. he is very upset and worried about his business which as he said is all he can think of. if you pray, continue to do so for adam. he has a long road ahead. i will continue to update as appropriate. i would also like us to consider a get together once adam is back on his feet to see if we can help him out from a business standpoint. if someone has any other ideas on how we canhelp, please feel free to share.
kris
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:29 am

Does he have enough people at the store to keep it running while he convalesces?

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:50 am

Kris Billiter wrote:hey guys. i just left adam at the hospital. he is ok, but very emotional. with his permission here is what happened and his current status.

Please tell Adam that we're thinking of him on the forum and that he certainly has prayers, best wishes and every other form of moral support, from each of us in our own way.

I love the idea of a massive outpouring of forumites to line up down Oak Street for pizza when he gets back ... and if there IS anything that volunteers here can do to help him keep things running while he's out, I expect we could muster some support there as well.

Does anybody think that putting together a significant reward would bring snitches out of the woodwork, and would LMPD cooperate? I'll pledge the first $100 if that's doable.
Next