Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Jen Futrell from Baxter Station dies after accident

by Marsha L. » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Jen was a cook at Baxter Station - she rode her bike to the restaurant on Tuesday to get her paycheck and was hit by a car on Bardstown Road near Highland Avenue.

Her death was delayed because she wanted to donate her organs. Doctors told her family that about 100 body parts could be used to help others, Hedspeth said.

That gave them some comfort, she said.

"There's another family standing around a bed like we are and this is going to create their life," Hedspeth said. "It's going to be a different story for them."

Futrell's organs were donated through the Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates program.

In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, donations may be made to Seeds of Peace or Safe Streets Louisville.

My sympathies go out to Andrew and the other cooks and servers at Baxter Station. Sounds like Jen was a good person. Peace, Jen.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Jen Futrell from Baxter Station dies after accident

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:07 pm

Cindy, Duncan and I pass on our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Jen. Peace be unto you.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:31 pm

I saw it on the CJ's website. At first, it was just a sad feeling in my heart, now it seems a bit heavier. I shall say prayers for the family. My prayer list grows every day.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:08 am

Jen was one of my son's (Leone Ray's) babysitters when he was younger, and she will be missed dearly by many.

Louisville claims to be bicycle friendly, but those of us who dare ride on the streets know otherwise. What can be done? For one thing, as a motorist, you can slow down a bit, pay attention to the road (no texting, dialing, map-reading, whatever - focus), and watch out for cyclists and pedestrians.

You may lose a minute if you drive slower, but others may lose a life if you don't....

Keep it in mind,

Peace

-Nimbus
Ray's Monkey House
1578 Bardstown Rd
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:06 am

As a cyclist and patron of Baxter Station, this is sad news to hear.

Part of the reality that comes with being a cyclist is recognizing that sooner or later you will be in an accident involving a (much larger) motor vehicle. Although a strong advocate for cyclists' rights, I often wonder if the whole "share the road" idea is an exercise in futility. I don't know all the details of this case, but accidents do happen. Unfortunately, such accidents rarely end favorably for the cyclist.

Best wishes to her family, friends, and the Baxter Station family during this trying time.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:46 am

My heart breaks for Jen's family. What a wonderful gift from her family to allow others a chance at a better life because of their unselfish act of organ donation. My prayers are with Jen's family and her extended family at Baxter Station.

My best friend was hit by a car two years ago while riding her bicycle ... one of the scariest phone calls of my life. While she survived the accident, her life is forever changed. I, too, agree with Matthew D.; rarely does the cyclist win ...
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:30 pm

What a tragedy that happened because someone swung around a bus to save a minute. I just found out last night that Jen is a cousin of my last partner at EMS. Thoughts and prayers to her family and friends and thanks to her family for continuing her generosity of spirit by donating her organs.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:51 pm

I went to school with Jennifer (as she was back then). She was sweet, and a gentle, good person. This is very sad.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:11 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:What a tragedy that happened because someone swung around a bus to save a minute.

Unfortunately, that "someone," from my perspective, represents the actions of a large segment of society to the extent that poor driving is the norm and not the exception. I'm thinking the person who made this choice wasn't expecting the consequences he/she now must face everyone day of his/her life. Everyday driving decisions vehicle operators make, like swinging around a bus, often lead to what we call vehicle "accidents" - even if the event isn't 100% completely accidental. The drivers involved exchange information, the one driver hopefully learns a lesson, and life goes on. When you substitute a bicycle into the equation the consequences tend to multiply significantly.

That being said, I'm not sure what we can do to change this, and nothing I say is going to be comforting to Jen's family and friends.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:02 am

If I'm not mistaken, Jen also ran the "Hospitality Cafe" at the Smoketown Farmer's Market. She whipped up omelets for the shoppers and it was fun to see the reaction of some of the kids who partook of the new flavors. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:18 pm

thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers!!!
my thoughts are with jen's family... the decision to donate her organs has passed on the generous gift of life to countless others.
i have heard more people talking about organ donation in the past three days than i have in the last 5 years.
huge thanks to her mom and dad for doing this, and being so public about it, in their time of great loss.
andrew