Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Selena's

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Selena's

by Mark R. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:03 am

Ed:
I think you missed the point most of us are making. Most of us weren't criticizing her criticism of the restaurant but rather the way she handled it. We felt she should've ask to see a manager or owner to have the problems rectified especially since it appeared the majority of them were caused by her waitress.

As far as the other two situations I believe you're talking about, they're both somewhat suspicious and the posters in question have not responded to clarify their position thus making the initial posts more suspicions. Hopefully they're not what some of us think they are but until the posters respond we won't know for sure.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:45 am

Mark R. wrote:Ed:
I think you missed the point most of us are making. Most of us weren't criticizing her criticism of the restaurant but rather the way she handled it. We felt she should've ask to see a manager or owner to have the problems rectified especially since it appeared the majority of them were caused by her waitress.

As far as the other two situations I believe you're talking about, they're both somewhat suspicious and the posters in question have not responded to clarify their position thus making the initial posts more suspicions. Hopefully they're not what some of us think they are but until the posters respond we won't know for sure.

Mark, You missed my point: I DON'T CARE. You don't need to tell me or anyone else how to handle situations in restaurants or what to like and dislike. Thanks.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:16 am

I am the hambuger woman. I ordered the hamburger in the Creole/italian restaurant. Yes, you guys were a little condescending. But honestly, I don't care what you think about my ordering a burger. I just wanted to share my impressions. Slam away. The hamburger, and the lasagna my friend ordered weren't so good. The service was poor. I live a spit away from this place. I really wanted to like it. I didn't. I don't. And I'll tell you so while I am on the way to my beloved DakShin...where they don't have burgers on the menu. 8)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:42 am

Mary Anne wrote: my beloved DakShin...where they don't have burgers on the menu. 8)

Hey, Mary Anne, Seekh Kebab is a little bit like small burgers, sort of ... well, it's ground meat anyway. :mrgreen:
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:40 pm

Mark R. wrote:Ed:

"Most of us" appears to be two people, and you are one of them. Hardly overwhelming.

As far as Selena's, I've had lunch there one time. My shrimp po boy was decent. No tartar sauce, but also no lettuce or tomatoes, which I thought were required on a po boy. A little spendy for lunch, but I'm willing to try them again for dinner.
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:39 pm

I had the oyster Po Boy a few weeks ago and although I am not a Creole, Sicilian, or Po Boy expert (and thus not a purist either), I thought it was very good. I believe it had shreds of cabbage on it and the bread (a french roll?) was good and thick. I don't think it had any sauce on it. I sat at the bar and it was about 2:30 pm, so business was slow and the service was fine. The Browning's ESB was good and fresh too!
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

by Sherry Deatrick » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 am

I had the soft shell crab po' boy for lunch the other day and I agree with Jennifer. It was terrible and left a yucky taste in my mouth for hours. And yes, it had tartar sauce on it. Yuck. Why??? I did try scraping it off, didn't eat the bun or the slaw, but the crab was limp from the sauce or oil, and tasted weird. :mrgreen:

The sweet potato fries tasted like reconstituted potatoes. I could not eat them. The service wasn't very good either. I did not complain to the management because this was a business lunch meeting and it would have embarrassed me. :oops:

So I suppose I'll invoke the wrath of the board.

Oh yeah, the server kept calling me "sweetie" and "dear" or something like that, and she did it to the other woman I was having lunch with. The server was young enough to be our granddaughter. Well, almost. I hate it when servers call me honey or dear or the like. I find it really condescending, esp. when the server is much younger than I am. I believe it's a snide kind of put-down, or an attempt to elevate oneself in terms of hierarchy over the customer. I noticed she did not address the male at our table that way. I suppose she accepted the fact that his status was above hers. :?

Jennifer, I know how you feel about people sniping at you for expressing a negative opinion here. It's happened to me before and I got so angry I left for a while. :x

People need to be unafraid to say negative things about a shoddy meal so others will know not to spend their hard earned money on a crappy meal. :idea:

I give praise freely when it's merited, and I believe we should feel free to report a bad experience when it happens.

On the positive side, I did love the atmosphere there. :D
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:18 am

In the 4 visits I've made to Selena's since they opened, food and service have become progressively better, IMHO.

The last visit was Saturday for a late lunch. I made my first try at a shrimp po boy with tartan on the side, thanks to this forum :wink: . I enjoyed it. Lots of shrimp, some shredded cabbage on a nice french roll. The tartar was good also. It was my first po boy so I had no standard to match it to, but still good.

But, what was really good was the gumbo of the day, chicken, alligator and anduoille sausage. It was darn good.

The service was also very good but, I didn't rate high enough to get called sweetie, dear or even hon'. :(

In previous visits what really stood out was their grilled fish specials, especially a red snapper dinner special they had once. Cooked to perfection, which is hard to come by in most restaurants.
David O.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:21 am

Sherry Deatrick wrote:So I suppose I'll invoke the wrath of the board.

We'll try to be gentle, Sherry. :)
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

by Sherry Deatrick » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Hmm, maybe I should try the gumbo or grilled fish! lol
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:24 pm

Jennifer M wrote:I would say calling me passive-agressive and telling me that is not good is a personal attack on my integrity.

Mark, please don't take this as anything personal as it is only a question because of your collective posts on this topic, but are you in any way affiliated with this restaurant or the owner? You have just seemed overly defensive with your responses.

Jennifer, I'm sorry if my post offended you. I was addressing your BEHAVIOR. Refusing to deal directly with the problem, but then later taking action that will punish the offender without having to directly confront them. It doesn't mean you are a passive-agressive person, and I would never call you such based on a single incident. I was addressing your handling of this situation, not you in an overall sense. I probably should have made that clearer.

I'm not sure where your integrity comes into it. I don't think I questioned the truthfulness of your experience. Only your handling of it.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe you could not have found someone to complain to. If it was that bad, you should have made a POINT to find someone to complain to. Ask for a manager, wave down a server. Call the restaurant later. Send an e-mail or letter. There are dozens of ways to complain to the person who caused the problem.

THEN come on here and bash them. I also question the fairness of trashing a place based on one visit. I've had bad food served to me at pretty much every restaurant in town. Things happen. I let them know. Good places fix it. Bad places don't or can't.

Not everyone is perfect, it's how they handle not being perfect that defines them.

And Robin, just curious... while I wasn't trying to attacked her, would be it be OK to attack a long time poster? Is it just new ones who are out of bounds?

:P

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:52 pm

Chris,

Feel free to attack me if you wish.... :wink:

( Also couldn't resist :D )

Deb
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:53 am

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
User

Krista K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:21 am

downtown, louisville, ky, usa

by Krista K » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 am

HA!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt F,
Glad to see your sense of humor is still the same!
I will never forget you wrapping my secret santa gift in Victoria Secret packaging...

:twisted:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:18 am

Chris M wrote:And Robin, just curious... while I wasn't trying to attacked her, would be it be OK to attack a long time poster? Is it just new ones who are out of bounds?

:P

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

I think if you need to ask about hospitable treatment of newcomers, Chris, you may be revealing something about yourself.
Previous