Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best soft dishes (no chewing allowed)

no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

Best soft dishes (no chewing allowed)

by Rebecca Clark » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:13 pm

OK ... for reasons beyond my control, I am on a soft foods diet for about another week ... I can't chew very well, but can mush. I'm already sick of mashed potatoes and pudding and am really wanting something tasty that I haven't had to make. What side dishes from our locals can you think of that would be soft and easy to swallow, but yet delicious and not entirely devoid of taste? I've thought of the shrimp and grits from Cafe Lou Lou's (minus the shrimp), but other than that, I'm at a loss. Any good soups? Anything? I am SO SICK of mashed potatoes already (sorry, I HAD already mentioned that small fact) ... :cry:
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Bert Baker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Best soft dishes (no chewing allowed)

by Bert Baker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:19 pm

I would suggest hummus. lotsa taste bang to the bite. I like Al watan on Klondile at hikes lane. You get a lot of hummus for the price. Also maybe the tabouleh and the cucumber yogurt sauce.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Since my toddler has only four teeth, I know much of mushy foodstuff.

Noodles are pretty easy on the jaws, as are beans. Currently, the dan dan noodles at red pepper and the beans at Mayan cafe are the favorites of both the little one and myself.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:13 pm

In the starch department, congee comes to mind. What about bread pudding? Savory flans and custards. Braised vegetables (sans skins.) Been awhile since I've enjoyed a good celeriac puree.

Something I've been thinking about that might work well for you here: Braunshweiger as a flavor component. Add just enough to produce a backnote...
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02 am

Eggs cooked almost any way should work. A cheese omelet should be very good (add hot sauce or salsa to spice it up). Of course scrambled, poached eggs or even hardboiled would be easy to eat. And you could always make a custard or flan and actually a quiche without crust will also be quite easy to eat. The advantage of eggs is that they would be a good source of protein.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:00 am

The smoked salmon and potato gratin at the Irish Rover is pretty easy to mush, although that might be too potato-y for you. I also LOVE the tomato soup at the Cafe (formerly of the Louisville Antique Mall, now on Brent St). They have a pimento cheese sandwich on their menu that comes on a walnut wheat bread, but you could probably ask for a different, nutless bread. A pimento cheese sandwich dipped in tomato soup would be very easy to mush and very good!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:07 am

Cheese grits! Pimento cheese! And maybe risotto and other rice dishes? You can chew rice but you probably don't have to. ;)
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:52 pm

Maybe you could find a menu that serves sea bass and work with it. I had sea bass last night and was reminded of how soft and moist it is.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:18 pm

Hey Rebecca, you have a PM. (I know you have had a jam packed weekend, but please get back to me.) -gayle
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:38 pm

The noodle bowls at Lee's Korean might be a nice alternative.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:35 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:Hey Rebecca, you have a PM. (I know you have had a jam packed weekend, but please get back to me.) -gayle

Gayle,
Tag, you're it! You have a PM now! :)
Thanks!!!!
Rebecca
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie