Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Can you guess Louisville's latest 4-star restaurant?

by Brian Curl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:45 am

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081003/FEATURES/81003006

Is Marty giving out a rare 4 star review? His reviews having been showing up online the day before they appear in the scene.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Can you guess Louisville's latest 4-star restaurant?

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:02 am

Brian Curl wrote:http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081003/FEATURES/81003006

Is Marty giving out a rare 4 star review? His reviews having been showing up online the day before they appear in the scene.

I'm not sure I understand his headline, though ... 211 has been of four-star quality, by many standards, for years.

As for the early Web appearance, my take on it from the standpont of journalism is that it's just one more stake in the coffin of daily print journalism. I don't think the print edition of the CJ (and other papers) will disappear this year or next, but I could see it happening within a generation. Of course, Gannett has an awful lot to learn about online technology before they try to replace print, which they sort of understand, with digital media, which they don't seem to have ever gotten at all.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Brian Curl wrote:http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081003/FEATURES/81003006

I'm not sure I understand his headline, though ... 211 has been of four-star quality, by many standards, for years.

As for the early Web appearance, my take on it from the standpont of journalism is that it's just one more stake in the coffin of daily print journalism. I don't think the print edition of the CJ (and other papers) will disappear this year or next, but I could see it happening within a generation. Of course, Gannett has an awful lot to learn about online technology before they try to replace print, which they sort of understand, with digital media, which they don't seem to have ever gotten at all.

Like 610 Magnolia, they have been quietly, consistently providing excellence for quite some time. To me, personally, I feel their use of seasonal vegetables in creative ways has always placed them on top of my list. One little funny snafu: They have hardwood floors that have warped over time. The chairs in the hardwood areas never seem to sit still! Keep that in mind when you visit and try to avoid the area in front of the bar... unless you enjoy dining on a see- saw! Haha!!!

Also, thier GM (I forget the fellow's name, unfortuneately) is one of the smoothest FOH managers I have seen. Unless he moved on since my last visit, he is quite recognizable by his penchant for bowties and seersucker attire. How cool is that???
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:48 pm

I ate at 211 for brunch this past Sunday and it was excellent. However, I did see something I've never seen at any restaurant before, no matter how crowded: there was a trio of diners in line before my group, and they were turned away because they didn't have reservations (we did). It wasn't even that busy! Kinda strange.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm sure they wouldn't have turn customers away had all of their tables not been already reserved. If tables are reserved they are held till the next party shows up. Thus, tables might sit empty for a while.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:14 pm

True, but it actually got slower as our brunch went on. I've just never seen any restaurant, no matter how successful, turn away business like that.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:11 pm

I've just never seen any restaurant, no matter how successful, turn away business like that.

In theory a 100% successful restaurant has a maximum capacity and would have to turn away customers when at maximum capacity. Of course, in Louisville this is not the norm but it's pretty common in big cities for it to be hard to get a table.

Restaurants that take reservations turn away people all the time if they are completely booked, there is only a certain capacity and if they are booked there is no waiting.

As for them not seeming busy or full I am not sure what the explanation is. Not having enough servers could also put a constraint on capacity. I am sure there is a reasonable explanation besides them not wanting the business.
no avatar
User

PatrickWhelan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Shelby Park

by PatrickWhelan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Also, thier GM (I forget the fellow's name, unfortuneately) is one of the smoothest FOH managers I have seen. Unless he moved on since my last visit, he is quite recognizable by his penchant for bowties and seersucker attire. How cool is that???

That's Andy, he's the proprietor and I agree. Plus the food is always outstanding. My opinion is they should be on the tips of everyones tongue when great Louisville restaurants are discussed.
Patrick Whelan
Logan Street Market
Safai Coffee & Tea
900 E. Kentucky St.
Louisville, KY 40204
502-693-3865
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 pm

No point in my uploading a link to Marty's review today since you found it yesterday, Brian! I'll just mention that I agree with the four-star review although still wish the CJ would permit restaurants that are the best in their genre to receive four-star ratings even if they're not upper-end white-tablecloth places.

For the record, it's a hefty 767 words - I find it a little amusing that as the overall Scene, including its restaurant news-release section, becomes more and more featherweight, they're often giving Marty substantial amounts of space for his weekly review. I suspect that a good editor could have tightened up his intro a bit today, but he's generally making good use of it.