Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Mott

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Butchertown

by Jeremy Mott » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:42 am

FWIW, I tried to check out BMCH this morning (have been meaning to do so for a while now). Be advised, they don't open until 7:30 am. By 7:30, if I am not halfway through my second cup, something's wrong. I still can't wait to try it...it just won't happen on the morning commute.

My favs in town are (tied) Jackson's and Sunergos. Peered into the (dark) BMCH this morning. Looked nice--far and away different from "thrift store castoff" decor at, say, Sunergos. Different, but not better to me. I wouldn't change a thing about Sunergos.

Keep doing what you're doing too, Christopher. Well, that, and expand! :D

As for Starbucks (the start of the thread)...Way too sterilized for my tastes. I'm in for coffee...DON'T try to sell me CDs, mints, pens, etc! Don't force a different naming convention for your sizes on me (I've noticed that when I've ordered a 'small' or 'medium' they ALWAYS make it a point to repeat their size back to you. Ugh.) And aside from all that, I think their coffee is overly caffienated. I have a high tolerance for the drug, but a cup of Starbucks coffee can give me the jitters.

Won't pass judgement on them (business-wise) because I don't have enough information. While I don't like cloned franchises popping up all over the place, one (seemingly) positive effect of Starbucks is the increased coffee awareness and culture. They have brought decent coffee to the masses (large, nationwide scales here). So long as the "coffee" awareness/culture doesn't become "milkshake" awareness/culture. IMHO, Starbucks does a pretty good business in peddling (what I consider) to be hot chocolate and milkshakes.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:14 am

Like your take on the coffee scene Jeremy. Nicholas runs a laid back place at BMCH and a weekend visit might be a good fit. Don't give up, because the coffee is outstanding. Hope to see Jackson's with one or two more drive-through locations in the next year. Amazing beans.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:15 am

Yeah, in the beginning at BMCH, Nicholas was open in the early mornings, but said no one came in. When its a mom and pop operation, you can't be there all the time. He does seem to be there nearly all the time though. I do understand how hard it is to get a biz up and running. Been there done that!

My problem with Sunergos is the coffee drinks, at least the one I had was tooth achingly sweet, (quite literally) and I assure you I like sugar as I make a living from cake. And the decor.

I have yet to find Jacksons, and frankly I don't think I'm clear yet on how to find it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:47 am

Leah s wrote:I have yet to find Jacksons, and frankly I don't think I'm clear yet on how to find it.

Do it! Go! It's easy! Drive east from downtown on Liberty or Chestnut and cross Baxter at the big light, going under the railroad overpass to merge onto Lexington Road. Keep on going past Distillery Commons and as soon as you cross Payne (the first traffic light you'll reach), look immediately on the left for a rather gritty Sav-A-Step store with an orange building immediately past it. That's Jackson's. Drive around to the drive-through window and order something good.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Mott

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Butchertown

by Jeremy Mott » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:09 am

Jackson's:

Google Map for Jackson's

(Edited by Robin to hide long, window-breaking URL)
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:15 am

Jeremy Mott wrote:IMHO, Starbucks does a pretty good business in peddling (what I consider) to be hot chocolate and milkshakes.

I guess that's good for those of us who dislike coffee, but love hot chocolate and milkshakes. :D
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:27 am

Jeremy Mott wrote:Won't pass judgement on them (business-wise) because I don't have enough information. While I don't like cloned franchises popping up all over the place, one (seemingly) positive effect of Starbucks is the increased coffee awareness and culture. They have brought decent coffee to the masses (large, nationwide scales here). So long as the "coffee" awareness/culture doesn't become "milkshake" awareness/culture. IMHO, Starbucks does a pretty good business in peddling (what I consider) to be hot chocolate and milkshakes.

I do think this phenonenom is really interesting. As a result of Starbucks explosive growth, I can get the same kind of drinks at an ever-growing number of local providers, both here and on the road.
Previous