Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

new Starbucks coming to lower Brownsboro Rd.

by Leah S » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:38 pm

In the strip center just across lower Brownsboro from Coral Ave. The end on the Lindsey Ave side of the existing building will be torn off and a Starbucks with a drive thru will be built. The entrance to the center will be moved to across from Coral Ave, and the other two curb cuts will be closed.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 pm

It is a shame that starbucks continues to take up materials and land... eventually the their idea will wear thin, and tastes and habits will change and all the starbucks will be empty spaces.

Amongst the "chains", Starbucks is not a chain but a parasite!

I say enough is enough! Is there anyone out there that can stop them!

What is the draw? why do people like them so much? Why do people let their kids get these fancy drinks? Don't they know that for a mocha choca latte schmatte they can feed or educate a kid in a developing country?

aaaggh

Sorry.!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

America.

by Doogy R » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:30 pm

A land of the supposed free (see Imus as our latest example) and the home of the almighty dollar waiting to be spent at the next chain, or indie, whichever has the right price (we're not all rich Highlander's or tract mansion East Ender's) at the right location. Correct me if I'm incorrect.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Doogy,
It seems that it is not only the rich that are supporting Starbucks.
I flew out of Louisville this past week, and it seemed that their were a lot of folks in line that were not "rich": a business cannot sustain itself just on the smaller % of the population of the well to do. Unless the traffic of people that come through Lou, are in that caliber. It is more likened to, the trend of the ps2, or nintendo, or Wii, everyone has to have it!

As far as the Come in and stay as long as you want... do you think that Starbucks will churn out some great writers, and poets, and thinkers as did the pubs of Ireland... I don't think so, unless someone proves me wrong.

BTW, it was nice to see more pubs that sushi bars in NYC this trip!

Céad míle fáilte !
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:40 am

Heather Y,

when someone orders a dessert at your restaurant, do you tell them their money would be better spent helping to feed or educate a kid in a developing country? A dessert is no more of a life necessity than a mocha latte.

I love Heine Bros and Highland Coffee and Java Brewing. Really, I do; but until one of them decides to open shop along the decidely unhip stretch of road between my dwelling and my place of employment, I'll unashamedly patronize my neighborhood Starbucks.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:41 am

:lol: "Build it and they will come"
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:00 am

There is something disconcerting to me about paying $4+ for brown water. But, that's true at Starbucks or Heine or Sunergos or BMCH. I'd like to think that it balances out when we buy fair trade coffees, but that isn't likely. That said, I think Starbucks isn't as bad as many mega food corps. By most accounts it treats its employees fairly and well, is increasing its environmental commitment and gives a good amount to charity. This isn't to say I particularly like their stores or product. I think they are killing the thing that made them successful by loading on things like CD, DVD and book sales along with bad food. In the end they are going to look like a convenience store in an airport.

P.S. Is anyone else puzzled by the fact that as Starbucks expands that we have seen an increase in terrific local coffee such as Andrew's Organic, Sunergos, BMCH, etc.?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:04 am

Jon K wrote:I think Starbucks isn't as bad as many mega food corps. By most accounts it treats its employees fairly and well, is increasing its environmental commitment and gives a good amount to charity.

Like Whole Foods, however, its granola-munching feelgood politics stops at the employee entrance door: Both companies are reportedly virulently anti-union.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:25 am

Just as a point of interest ....

User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:30 am

Good point about their union attitudes. Does that negate their positives in environmental policy and good benefits? I don't think so, at least not fully. I think of business practices as a spectrum. Kind of like the way Dante laid out circles of hell in the Divine Comedy. Starbucks and Whole Foods occupy the first circle of hell along with virtuous pagans. Exxon and Halliburton live in Malebolge or the 8th circle. The 8th circle generally contains those guilty of deliberate fraudulent evil
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:46 am

Jon K wrote:Good point about their union attitudes. Does that negate their positives in environmental policy and good benefits? I don't think so, at least not fully.

No, absolutely, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just find it <i>interesting</i> that many of the corporations with pleasingly "green" corporate policies and a general principle of treating employees decently suddenly shift gears when it comes to actually permitting employees to organize, bargain collectively or, in general, to assert a right to do so.

Costco is another ... excellent policies in so many ways, treats employees well in direct defiance of Wall Street analysts. But organize a union? Uh uh ...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:47 am

Robin Garr wrote: treats employees well in direct defiance of Wall Street analysts. But organize a union? Uh uh ...

Trust me on this, Robin - Wall Street analysts do NOT expect Costco employees to be treated poorly. I cannot imagine what you mean by that!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:54 am

TP Lowe wrote:Trust me on this, Robin - Wall Street analysts do NOT expect Costco employees to be treated poorly. I cannot imagine what you mean by that!

TP, I'm sure that was provocatively worded. ;)

But I was reading something fairly authoritative just the other day - can't place it at present, but will try to track it down - indicating that CostCo is under constant pressure from the analysts (in terms of fiduciary responsibility) to reduce employee and labor costs to industry (i.e., Walmart) standards, and that the company tends to be defiant about this because to satisfy the analysts would involve reducing wages and benefits below levels that the company considers appropriate.

Could have been propaganda, but it all had the ring of truth.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:02 am

Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but if a company pays at least a fair/living wage or better, provides good or better benefits, good working conditions, ethical policies, and the employees are happy, why would the employees need a union?

Starbucks seems to fall into that category. I know employees and they are as happy as anyone I know who works for a living. Part timers get benefits, which is nearly unheard of. Starbucks does buy fair trade coffee. It seems to me that they are a responsible company and one who constantly makes money and grows.

And frankly, I love their coffee, but hubby says I just like burnt coffee. So be it. As you know I also love BMCH best of all the indies.

And I started this thread just because it was interesting news from the zoning Board I sit on. And because I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition of having Starbucks a block or so from what we lovingly call "Dirty Kroger."
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:06 am

Robin Garr wrote:
CostCo is under constant pressure from the analysts (in terms of fiduciary responsibility) to reduce employee and labor costs to industry (i.e., Walmart) standards, and that the company tends to be defiant about this because to satisfy the analysts would involve reducing wages and benefits below levels that the company considers appropriate.

Could have been propaganda, but it all had the ring of truth.

Well, recognize that Wal-Mart is not the industry standard by a long shot (i.e., they are well below industry standards in nearly every cost category). I have no doubt that "the street" would love to see costs lower for every company they follow, but they certainly do not have the sort of influence over a company like Costco that would make any well-intentioned CEO feel bothered by an analyst's report.

Also, analysts don't actually have a fiduciary responsibility, but I know what you mean...
Next