Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tuscany Italian - good and bad

no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Tuscany Italian - good and bad

by Leah S » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:29 pm

First the good. We each ordered the smoked salmon entree. Comes with penne pasta, smoked salmon obviously, in a tomato sauce with "a touch of cream". Thoroughly yummy. Pasta perfectly cooked. Served with bread toasted with herbs and a side of marinara. Also yummy.

For dessert we ordered a tiramisu and a canoli. Both were extremely forgetable, pre-fab/not made in house concoctions drenched in out of the bottle chocolate syrup. blargh.

We get our bill. The Salmon dish was advertised at $13 on the menu, however we'd been charged $14.95 on the bill. (times 2 orders) We pointed this out to the cashier who was much more interested in telling us that "We don't take that no more." referrng to the Restaurant.com gift certificate which was still within date. "We don't take that no more. Didn't they tell you?" Seriously, three times. So she decides she'll take the gift certificate anyway and we hand her a Visa Gift Card. Well this throws her for a loop, because it doesn't have a name on it. But it says Gift Card in large type at the top. She runs it, it works. She never did correct the cost of the entree.

Although the entree was quite good, we won't be back.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Tuscany Italian - good and bad

by Gayle DeM » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up. With so many good restaurants in this town, your review moved this one to the bottom of my "Got to try" list.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

kathy m

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:54 pm

by kathy m » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:52 am

oh no, Gayle, please don't pass Tuscany up --I've been there 5 times in the last several months (including last week with a group of 11), and have had no problems.

the food is exceptional, especially so in that end of town (and it's refreshing to see 20-something Okolona-ites ordering a bottle of wine with their pizza :) )

the calamari is some of the best I've ever eaten, and the calzones are huge with all fresh ingredients. My housemate loves their rustic pizza (it's a plate sized triangle with folded edges), and from the group last week, the favorites were the veal marsala and the saltinboca. We tried the italian lemon ice and were very pleasantly surprised (I expected a snow cone, but it was like creamy lemonaid flavored ice !)

please try Tuscany soon for yourself, and keep this gem open
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:04 am

Kathy,
All I can say is, check your bill against the menu prices.
no avatar
User

Bob B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Germantown

by Bob B » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:31 pm

We have been to Tuscany many times also and have never had a bad meal there or any problems w/ the service. We don't eat dessert so I don't know anything about that issue, but we think their entrees and apps are great and the prices are more then reasonable. I don't think I would cross them off my list forever because I was overcharged by less then $4.00., ecspecially if that was my first visit and I thought the entree was yummy. I would have called the Owner/Chef/Mgr and explained the problem.
IMHO I would say that a smoked salmon dinner entree for either $13.00 or $14.95 is a great price!
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:59 pm

My son and I had a really fine dinner at Tuscany about a month ago. He had putanessca and I had basic spaghetti. It was really good.

Now the service was a bit weird but charming. I ordered a bottle of wine....their best bottle was $20+ sangiovese. Well, I guess they don't sell much wine because the server had to get someone to assist in taking the wine order. Then I had to open the bottle because neither of these young ladies knew how to use a cork screw much less proper wine service. Our whole bill with a bottle of wine was about $50. I took home half a bottle of wine to boot.

Would I go again....yes. The food was nice, better than average, and a good value. It's basic and good....it's not a romantic up-scale indie.

The service is not what you get in St. Matthews, the Highlands, or other comprable indies. The place is sort of run like a typical Mexican restaurant as you pay at the counter. But it's a neat and charming experience none the less.

Another down side...it's 20+ miles from my house....this is not a destination place. But we were in the area and made a point of stopping in and had a fun time.
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:22 pm

We went with a group of 15 and had FABULOUS service and fabulous food. No one in our group had a problem with anything. We were all on separate tickets, again NO problems.

The calamari is probably one of the BEST I've had in Louisville. Not over breaded and crispy.

The lasagna was excellent. The putenesca (sp?) was great. I had a chicken dish that I can't remember the name of (non breaded chicken breasts {2} along with a large portion of pasta in a white wine sauce with onions, capers, peppers, pruscitto, and mushrooms) that was great. My boyfriend had an amazing seafood dish that had three types of clams IN SHELL with calamari and shrimp in a red sauce.

I know the cannoli wasn't store bought when we were there (less than a month ago) because we actually had to wait while they fixed enough for everyone's orders and the shells were still slightly warm.

Please don't pass this place up!
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Haven't been there ( and probably won't as there is great Italian much closer to home- and in my kitchen :wink: ).

But wanted to chime in that I'm so happy to see several infrequent /newbie posters chiming in on this one. Sometimes it seems the posts end up being about how much regular posters (like me) love a certain place, and we are not getting a as wide spectrum of experience/views as we could. So glad to hear you add your two-cents, particularly if you have a different experience to share about a place. Personally, it's from reading lots of different views that I form my own.

Deb
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:16 pm

TrishaW wrote:I had a chicken dish that I can't remember the name of (non breaded chicken breasts {2} along with a large portion of pasta in a white wine sauce with onions, capers, peppers, pruscitto, and mushrooms) that was great. .....Please don't pass this place up!

Trisha,
Would that have been "Sorento"? My friend had that this past Sunday and raved about it!
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie