Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Most "exotic" restaurant in Louisville?

by TrishaW » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:08 pm

We're looking for new restuarants to try. We usually do different restaurants that serve Italian, Ethiopian, Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, Chineses, Japanese, as well as "American". What would be your pick for a night of totally different food?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Most "exotic" restaurant in Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:13 am

TrishaW wrote:We're looking for new restuarants to try. We usually do different restaurants that serve Italian, Ethiopian, Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, Chineses, Japanese, as well as "American". What would be your pick for a night of totally different food?

Assuming you mean "exotic" in its literal definition of "foreign," then you might look at Chez Seneba for Senegalese from West Africa (Bishop Lane just off Newburg Road, opposite the school board); and BosnaMak for Bosnian (Old Bardstown Road in Buechel, a block or so north of Buechel Bank Road).
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:33 am

Funny you ask, I was just talking about Korean food in another thread. I love Korean food and you can find it at Koreana II on Preston Highway and Lee's on Bishop Lane.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:23 pm

and BosnaMak for Bosnian (Old Bardstown Road in Buechel, a block or so north of Buechel Bank Road).

I mentioned BosnaMak to you a few years ago Robin, I didn't know you had been. I've never seen a review of them? I love their Gyros. And they guy that owns the place is super nice. They also have excellent turkish type coffee. It's very strong and in a small cup, similar to espresso but not quite that strong.

I think they deserve some pub for their Gyro as many people would appreciate getting to eat it and not many know about the place because of it's location. But not that they need the pub, they have been in that location for 11yrs is what the owner told me.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Brian Curl wrote:[I mentioned BosnaMak to you a few years ago Robin, I didn't know you had been. I've never seen a review of them? I love their Gyros. And they guy that owns the place is super nice. They also have excellent turkish type coffee. It's very strong and in a small cup, similar to espresso but not quite that strong.

Funny you mention that, Brian! I've hit it a couple of times and liked it, but wasn't in review mode. You're right. They deserve it, and I need to get back with my Groucho glasses and teeny notebooks in hand. ;)
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:37 pm

I totally agree wth the Chez Seneba and Lee's Korean recommendations. I have had some exotic things at both places. Chez Seneba served me a whole fish, head and all, on top of a stew, and it was delicious. One of the more interesting things I've had at Lee's is water lily root. I love places like that, where you just put your trust in the cooks and servers. You know that they'll bring out things you've never thought of eating before, and you can be pretty sure it will all be delicious.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:31 pm

I need to get back with my Groucho glasses and teeny notebooks in hand.

Ok, I'll be looking for your review!

Also, try their Macedonia Salad, just tomatoes, cucumber and onion all finely chopped with blue cheese. And their baklava is good also.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:37 pm

Mention should also be made here of Red Pepper (Sichuan) on Lower Brownsboro...
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:48 pm

Stephen D wrote:Mention should also be made here of Red Pepper (Sichuan) on Lower Brownsboro...

And mention you did - but make sure to order off the authentic Chinese menu. That's where you get the dishes like "Unique Chicken Smell" (don't worry that it's cold - it's supposed to be) and "Dan Dan Noodles" (delicious) and "Dried Pig’s Intestine w/Chinese Celery" (haven't tried that one yet...)
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:37 pm

I can not go to Red Pepper without ordering the Dan Dan Noodles. Seriously my favorite dish. Must. have. more.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 am

Cottage Inn and Mike Linnig's.

We had nothing like them in my part of Queens.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Eliza W wrote:Cottage Inn and Mike Linnig's.

We had nothing like them in my part of Queens.

Hey, the Cottage Inn bears more than a little resemblance to the Neptune Diner in Astoria, once cultural differences are taken into account. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:31 am

Annie's Cafe up off 3rd St has tripe. I confess I haven't worked up the nerve to try it.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:36 am

carla griffin wrote:Annie's Cafe up off 3rd St has tripe. I confess I haven't worked up the nerve to try it.

Tripe dim sum is also generally available on the carts at Jade Palace. :)

(And of course, the Saturday menudo at just about any of the real taquerias will be chock-full of it. Yummo ... )
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:22 pm

Is it "rubbery" like over cooked squid? You said "yummo" so I'm going to guess no.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
Next