Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Caffe Perusa

no avatar
User

Bert Baker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:57 pm

Caffe Perusa

by Bert Baker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Caffe Perusa has been abruptly and unceremoniously shuttered as of today. I should know, I no longer work there.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Caffe Perusa

by Doogy R » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:35 pm

Bert Baker wrote:Caffe Perusa has been abruptly and unceremoniously shuttered as of today. I should know, I no longer work there.

I've never been there but after all the glowing reviews here and in other local media, I am SHOCKED. WOW. Maybe it was a great restaurant in the wrong location. I remember the Filipino place in J-town that was outstanding that couldn't make it. Ferd's ended. So did Dillon's, the best averagedprice steakhouse in the VIlle. What is it about J-Town?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:48 pm

Bert Baker wrote:Caffe Perusa has been abruptly and unceremoniously shuttered as of today. I should know, I no longer work there.

Bert, very sorry to hear that. It WAS abrupt. Any inside info or back story as to why they blew town so fast?

Best wishes to you in your quest for another job in the business, by the way. Feel free to put your short resume or announcement in the Restaurant Jobs forum section.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:02 pm

I am sorry to hear that, Bert. I'm so guilty of not thinking outside of my neigborhood food comfort zone, and I didn't amke it out to Perusa, but I hoped that enough other people would. It terrifies to to hear of so many restaurants going belly up at the present, but it may be the right decision. I really syampathize with your loss of job. Not to be negative, but we're all facing a decline in hospitality expense. I'm really afraid right now that we are facing goodbyes to those we love to communicate with. I'm here to say, I'll ride my bike before I give up the internet! And I'll eat out as long as possible.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:47 pm

What is overlooked here is that J-town is one of the fastest growing parts of the Ville. Why have so many great places to dine gone out gone out of business in the last 2 years?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:45 am

We had reservations for last night and it was shuttered when we got there. Just a sign that says "temporarily closed". Another group pulled up before us and had just made a change to their reservation yesterday afternoon! I'm sorry for all the employees - we always had great service at the table and bar.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:56 am

Doogy R wrote:What is overlooked here is that J-town is one of the fastest growing parts of the Ville. Why have so many great places to dine gone out gone out of business in the last 2 years?

In the case of Caffe Perusa I'm guessing that it's a combination of a hidden location and poor demographic match. Yes, we're finally starting to see upscale indies move into the 'burbs, and certainly it's a good thing. But note that the apparent successes - Limestone, Seviche and Corbett's - have all been extremely popular city restaurants with a big following of affluent suburbanites who begged their chefs and owners to come out East to serve them.

Perusa had none of that, and it popped up in a region awash with chains and very little history of supporting indies, much less expensive indies.

Given that it was extremely well capitalized, too, it seems improbable that it fell to a cash flow problem. My guess, the owner looked at the numbers and said "**** it."
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:32 am

But note that the apparent successes - Limestone, Seviche and Corbett's

Based on the recent comment by the owner Seviche in the east end is not doing great.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 am

Brian Curl wrote:Based on the recent comment by the owner Seviche in the east end is not doing great.

It seems crowded whenever I go or drive past, but certainly my admonition to support ALL of our local indies is good advice here ...
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:42 am

J-town isn't a very good location for an upscale indie. I think Robin nails it. I know, I grew up there.

I think visability is important and I gather there really wasn't any in this particular location. I never heard of the place until recently and never got a chance to give it a go. Too bad.
no avatar
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:46 pm

You're right Brian! We are not doing great, but we are doing GOOD. The food we put out is GREAT! That's what are guest tell us. I can honestly say that all three of us are not doing great, but good. This has been a tough year for all restaurants. Well, maybe not all, but most. I talk to alot of Chefs and owners. We are all going through it together. I feel good about the direction the restaurant is going though. It has been GREAT! I owe it to my staff. They have been so positive and are always thinking of new ideas and ways to promote the East End location. The Latin wine dinners have been a huge success, and have introduced us to new customers. As I mentioned before, I was reacting to not having electricity for a week, and made a pre mature statement. Seviche is doing good and I feel great where we are, for our soon to be, first year.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Chef Lamas...your food is great! We eat at Seviche every chance we get. We had a wonderful dinner on the patio Saturday night. My 13 y/o was facinated watching your staff cook a whole pig in the "wooden" box. Gary took care of us as always. We pass the word to all our friends and bring some along when we can....keep it up!