Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ's 3 stars for August Moon come up a bit short

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:48 am

Marty seems to love August Moon, and who doesn't? Today's strong, laudatory review, which drops back to 572 words after a few weeks of extended space for the dining column, leaves only the usual question about words that don't match the rating: Why only three stars?

Pretty place, pretty plates
Flavorful Asian dishes only part of August Moon's appeal

Adrienne & Co.
August Moon Chinese Bistro
2269 Lexington Road
(502) 456-6569
http://www.augustmoonbistro.com
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: CJ's 3 stars for August Moon come up a bit short

by TP Lowe » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:07 pm

I'm traveling and haven't seen the CJ yet, but that link seemed to be to a "piece" of the review. It just stopped mid-paragraph - odd.

I have only one mild complaint about August Moon - please vary the lunch menu occasionally. There are times that I just can barely stand to continue to order the same entrees off of the back page. I know one can order from the dinner menu at lunch, but due to the ease and speed of the lunch page I always gravitate there. But, brother, one more serving of chicken and steamed vegetables (hot and sour to start) I think I'll go nuts.

Other than that, love the Moon!
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:09 pm

I thought the review stopped abruptly as well. No mention of dessert offerings.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:14 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I'm traveling and haven't seen the CJ yet, but that link seemed to be to a "piece" of the review. It just stopped mid-paragraph - odd.

Hmm, it worked when I posted it, but the CJ Website isn't exactly smooth sailing. Let me dig around and see if they changed something, and I'll fix it.

Considering that this Website probably sends them more eyeballs on the review than they get on their own, they ought to make things easy for us ... :roll:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:21 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I'm traveling and haven't seen the CJ yet, but that link seemed to be to a "piece" of the review. It just stopped mid-paragraph - odd.

Newp, can't explain it. The whole story loads for me, and I've checked it with Google Chrome, Firefox 3 and Explorer 7. Maybe a temporary glitch that they've fixed?

Try the whole link:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /809270382
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:49 pm

Does the version you see stop with mongolian beef? If so, that's what I must assume to be the oddest editing in history. Marty always winds up with something on wines or the bar, and this review just literally stops, if what I'm seeing is accurate. I searched for another link but some up with the same one you posted, Robin.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:55 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Does the version you see stop with mongolian beef? If so, that's what I must assume to be the oddest editing in history. Marty always winds up with something on wines or the bar, and this review just literally stops, if what I'm seeing is accurate. I searched for another link but some up with the same one you posted, Robin.

It does, TP, but get this: So does the print edition!

Either Marty ran out of steam or the editors used a dull axe to edit, but that's the story, in the paper and on the Web.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:04 pm

Geez - good enough. That's a first, and one odd way for the CJ to lop off the last 50-75 words! Maybe the axed a half star, too!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:18 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Geez - good enough. That's a first, and one odd way for the CJ to lop off the last 50-75 words! Maybe the axed a half star, too!

Actually, as ridiculous as it sounds, maybe Marty had some moderately negative comment in the last section, and it got lopped off, making the 3-star rating look nuts?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:20 pm

maybe so! Poor take on the wine list, or other entrees that were discussed later in the piece? Who knows - maybe I'll drop Marty a note and see what happened.