Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

LEO - Best of Louisville

no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: LEO - Best of Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:35 pm

LEO printed a letter from me a few weeks ago in which I connected LEO's decline in quality with my decline in reading it. Not surprisingly, I have not seen the new issue.

Comments:

1. Everyone knows the best water fountain is the one at Seneca Park on the walking loop that features a water arch so high that you can fill up a an entire bottle standing at 90 degrees. I've often wondered what it would take to steal it.

2. When working my way through the fashion/beauty questions I had to double check and make sure I was not reading the CJ Scene.

3. Non-local questions such as "Best Actress" seem out of place.

4. The "Best Overwrought Name for Local Weather Coverage" category cracked me up. There's a special circle in hell reserved for Jay Cardosi featuring an eternity of mundane weather. That's right; no more chances to say "hook echo" or "tornado vortex."
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:22 am

Matthew you were not alone regarding the LEO Fashion issue. Many of us sat at the office asking..."and why are WE doing a fashion issue?" You hit the nail on the head however; the idea to do a fashion issue did come from a former CJ employee. That's a mistake we won't be making again.
I hope you'll reconsider reading upcoming issues. Stephen George is doing a great job making sure we put out some meaty articles. (Like the issues on school bullying and its consequences or the legal system and the criminally insane.) Every once in a while they like to do something lighter but for the most part I think our editorial work is getting better all the time.
As far as the questions selected for the Readers Choice ballots, please, write in to the paper and make some suggestions of your own. They would love some fresh new ideas from elsewhere.
And come on John Greenup... any outside sales person know the value of knowing where a decent , clean public restroom is! Ask any of your lottery reps!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:51 am

Stephen George's pieces are the highlight of reading the Leo for me.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:11 am

I enjoy reading Stephen's stuff now that every other thing he types isnt lauding 86-64.
Last edited by MikeG on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 am

Antonia L wrote:Stephen George's pieces are the highlight of reading the Leo for me.

And No. 2 is the restaurant review? 8)
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:22 am

Robin Garr wrote:And No. 2 is the restaurant review? 8)

Well, I read those on here, so I didn't even think about that. But of course!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:27 am

Antonia L wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:And No. 2 is the restaurant review? 8)

Well, I read those on here, so I didn't even think about that. But of course!

Just teasing, Antonia! I had to say it, though! :oops:
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:39 am

carla griffin wrote:I hope you'll reconsider reading upcoming issues. Stephen George is doing a great job making sure we put out some meaty articles. (Like the issues on school bullying and its consequences or the legal system and the criminally insane.) Every once in a while they like to do something lighter but for the most part I think our editorial work is getting better all the time.

LEO's a good publication in this city that, for the most part, offers strong journalism. My letter was meant to point out that LEO's job is strong journalism, not pointing how how the CJ is failing at the same mission. LEO should focus on LEO and leave the CJ alone, not because it's not a noble cause to watchdog the major paper, but because LEO's obsession with the CJ has, in turn, weakened LEO.

I'm hoping the in-depth journalism regains some footing in LEO. I'm probably in the minority, but my favorite part about LEO is (was?) the way in which words (and not graphics, or charts, or pictures) creates the paper's identity.

I do still flip through LEO most weeks; I just don't go out of my way to leave my apartment and walk to the corner to pick one up every Tuesday afternoon. That's a habit I kind of miss.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:44 pm

carla griffin wrote:Matthew you were not alone regarding the LEO Fashion issue. Many of us sat at the office asking..."and why are WE doing a fashion issue?" You hit the nail on the head however; the idea to do a fashion issue did come from a former CJ employee. That's a mistake we won't be making again.
I hope you'll reconsider reading upcoming issues. Stephen George is doing a great job making sure we put out some meaty articles. (Like the issues on school bullying and its consequences or the legal system and the criminally insane.) Every once in a while they like to do something lighter but for the most part I think our editorial work is getting better all the time.
As far as the questions selected for the Readers Choice ballots, please, write in to the paper and make some suggestions of your own. They would love some fresh new ideas from elsewhere.
And come on John Greenup... any outside sales person know the value of knowing where a decent , clean public restroom is! Ask any of your lottery reps!

That's a skill I leave to others.....
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:29 pm

carla griffin wrote:Matthew you were not alone regarding the LEO Fashion issue. Many of us sat at the office asking..."and why are WE doing a fashion issue?" You hit the nail on the head however; the idea to do a fashion issue did come from a former CJ employee. That's a mistake we won't be making again.
I hope you'll reconsider reading upcoming issues. Stephen George is doing a great job making sure we put out some meaty articles. (Like the issues on school bullying and its consequences or the legal system and the criminally insane.) ...

A great counter to that poor judgement could be a featured article on NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder). Fpl did a story on it this past week, and I learned about vanity as a plague. I hope that doesn't sound too liberal, because there is a very interesting debate about it.
Previous