Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:41 am

andrew mellman wrote:if followed correctly the comments about danger are overstated.

I'm sure that's so, Andrew. But I'd still be cautious about following a low-carb regimen long-term (as opposed to a lifelong practice of counting calories, getting exercise and eating a balanced diet).

And my friendly challenge to Robert remains: Let's see where he is 12 months from now, and if he has maintained his excellent progress, I'll be the first to shake his hand. But statistically, based on what happens with most people, I'll be surprised.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:44 am

Robin Garr wrote:
andrew mellman wrote:if followed correctly the comments about danger are overstated.

I'm sure that's so, Andrew. But I'd still be cautious about following a low-carb regimen long-term (as opposed to a lifelong practice of counting calories, getting exercise and eating a balanced diet).

And my friendly challenge to Robert remains: Let's see where he is 12 months from now, and if he has maintained his excellent progress, I'll be the first to shake his hand. But statistically, based on what happens with most people, I'll be surprised.

That's true of most diets, isn't it?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:54 am

Charles W. wrote:That's true of most diets, isn't it?

Absolutely! No question about it. Of course, that doesn't alter my challenge.

As an asterisk, and trying to be as even-handed as possible, I'll still assert that Atkins in its nature - even tweaked to be less extreme than the original - depends on maintaining a combination of carbs, fats and proteins that doesn't reflect a normally balanced diet, and it's hard to believe that this wouldn't have long-term consequences (including the high incidence of kidney stones mentioned elsewhere in this thread).
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

What worked for me.

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:26 am

I am 45 lbs lighter than last October.

My plan was to continue eating what I liked, with a few caveats: Half portions; much less cheese; more fruit and raw veggies, and granola/trail mix bars whenever possible instead of sweets.

Owing to winter weather and eventual orders that I not ride a bicycle until my shoulder was surgically repaired (three weeks ago today), I have walked 1-2 miles or more just about every day since.

Beer was reduced (half rations) for the first month or so. I was back to drinking what I liked before having to taper off because of the pain meds I'm taking now. Even when I was back to professinal drinking, I was keeping the weight off. Now, when I feel bloated, it comes with the satisfaction of understanding that the fullness comes after eating roughly half what I would have previously.

Indeed, none of it is rocket science ... or even meteorology. The fundamental things apply ... but I understand that some folks need the structure.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

PaigeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 am

New Castle, IN

by PaigeM » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:15 pm

You know what they say: the best diet for you is the one you can stick with! For me, eating lots of veggies and protein, while cutting out processed flour and sugar, has been very successful and easy to follow. And it's amazing how everyone is very supportive of my plan... until they find out it's Atkins.

Robert, you'll find lots more support and information (including info about restaurants that are low-carb friendly) at
http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/index.php? I hope you'll join and share your success story!
"Well, if you don't like butter, just use cream." -Julia Child
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:27 pm

O I have already found that site...thanks...There are a lot more sites like that but some people just want to beleive the negative ones....and Robin I accept your challange....My goal is 180...thats about 15 pounds away from now.... :D :D
User

kathy m

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:54 pm

losing weight

by kathy m » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:28 pm

About 4 years ago, I started a modifed Atkins along with extra walking, and lost about 40 pounds over a couple of months. Went from a Ladies size 20 pants to 12.

I've slacked off and have regained most of that back, but, and here's the weirdest thing, I'm still a size 12 pants ! I'm thinking that the weight that I gain from excessive high-carb foods settles on me differently that that from just some high-carbs with less exercise...

Anyone else notice this ?
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Ummm, it's the daily overall calories, not the carbs, that make the difference in dieting. I know this -- I've been there.

You must consume somewhat less than your body burns. That's the only healthy diet plan.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

Re: losing weight and still eating CHEESE CAKE

by John R. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:26 pm

robert szappanos wrote::D :D :D :D :D I have found a Cheese Caked made by Adam Mattews that has only 4 Net Carbs per slice. They use Spenda instead of sugar. I purchased one at Meijers. It is 32 oz. cake and was only 7 Dollars. the best part is that it tastes great....no curst though.....If any of you out there are Low Carbing it...this is your Cheese Cake....The low carbing does work...as of today I have gone from 247 to 195 since last August. Once you get past the initial crave for Pasta...Bread and other high carb foods it is not bad at all. Last night we went to craker barrel and I had 3 eggs scrambled...county ham...Bacon and a sausage patty...it also came with 3 sliced of tomatoes and two slices of low carb wheat bread....Total carbs was 7...dont eat the bread and it is 1. :D :D :D :D

Fake sweetener is the devil. I actually get mad when I taste something with fake sweetener. I would rather have less sugar than fake sweetener any day. It would be kind of weird to have less sugar in a cheesecake though. I guess it wouldnt be much of a dessert. Anyway I would rather do without than eat fake sweetener. I dont knock others usage it just ain't happening here. Im on a diet as well. I just dont eat it or I just have tastes. I also exercise a little more than others. What good is it to change eating habits and not exercise? Without exercise you are wasting your time.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:29 pm

John R. wrote:Fake sweetener is the devil. I actually get mad when I taste something with fake sweetener. I would rather have less sugar than fake sweetener any day. It would be kind of weird to have less sugar in a cheesecake though. I guess it wouldnt be much of a dessert. Anyway I would rather do without than eat fake sweetener. I dont knock others usage it just ain't happening here.

So I'm guessing you don't want to know about the special at Sam's for 10 lbs. of Sweet-n-Low for $15.99 :wink:
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:30 pm

Charles W. wrote:
John R. wrote:Fake sweetener is the devil. I actually get mad when I taste something with fake sweetener. I would rather have less sugar than fake sweetener any day. It would be kind of weird to have less sugar in a cheesecake though. I guess it wouldnt be much of a dessert. Anyway I would rather do without than eat fake sweetener. I dont knock others usage it just ain't happening here.

So I'm guessing you don't want to know about the special at Sam's for 10 lbs. of Sweet-n-Low for $15.99 :wink:

ha! The DEVIL! I'm not so sure about it's benefits either. I may be crazy but I just imagine that stuff as not as healthy as people think or have been told.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:15 pm

That is why Slenda is the only one used in the Atkins Diet...It is derived from natual sugar...
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Splenda

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:00 pm

I agree with Robert: Splenda (unlike Equal, Sweet & Low, et al) is a REAL natural sugar; the only difference is that it's an invert sugar, and cannot be metabolized by the human body. The taste buds cannot (if used correctly) tell the difference. I'm not saying no one can tell, as the correct amount to maintain flavor can vary dramatically depending on cooking, timing, other ingredients, et al, but the flavor should be "different", not "fake".

There are problems with Splenda, starting with the well-named "anal leakage", but flavor-wise it's pretty good!
Andrew Mellman
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

The truth.

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:12 pm

I also exercise a little more than others. What good is it to change eating habits and not exercise? Without exercise you are wasting your time.

Verily, this is the central point.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Re: Splenda

by Steve Magruder » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:11 pm

andrew mellman wrote:I agree with Robert: Splenda (unlike Equal, Sweet & Low, et al) is a REAL natural sugar; the only difference is that it's an invert sugar, and cannot be metabolized by the human body. The taste buds cannot (if used correctly) tell the difference. I'm not saying no one can tell, as the correct amount to maintain flavor can vary dramatically depending on cooking, timing, other ingredients, et al, but the flavor should be "different", not "fake".

There are problems with Splenda, starting with the well-named "anal leakage", but flavor-wise it's pretty good!

I thought it was Olestra that causes G.A.S.*, not Splenda.

*Greasy Arse Syndrome
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
PreviousNext