Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

losing weight and still eating CHEESE CAKE

by robert szappanos » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:11 pm

:D :D :D :D :D I have found a Cheese Caked made by Adam Mattews that has only 4 Net Carbs per slice. They use Spenda instead of sugar. I purchased one at Meijers. It is 32 oz. cake and was only 7 Dollars. the best part is that it tastes great....no curst though.....If any of you out there are Low Carbing it...this is your Cheese Cake....The low carbing does work...as of today I have gone from 247 to 195 since last August. Once you get past the initial crave for Pasta...Bread and other high carb foods it is not bad at all. Last night we went to craker barrel and I had 3 eggs scrambled...county ham...Bacon and a sausage patty...it also came with 3 sliced of tomatoes and two slices of low carb wheat bread....Total carbs was 7...dont eat the bread and it is 1. :D :D :D :D
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Low carb

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:18 pm

I have several recipes for low carb cheesecake, including some that have a ground nut crust - almond or hazelnut. When I am a bit more mobile, I sent some to you. I made one for the guys at the firehouse and they loved it!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:26 pm

I have seen some of those made with a mix of flax seed and almonds...never tried it but I do eat and love almonds. i like to put almonds in a pan and pour a little pure coconut oil in the pan and bring to a boil then cool as you stir the almonds in the oil....Taste great and hardly no carbs.... :D :D :D :D
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

low-carb cheesecake

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:40 pm

The Cheesecake Factory has had a low-carb version for years now. It's made with Splenda, is a tad smaller slice than their norm, comes without whipped cream (as their whipped cream has sugar in it), but with berries.

While I don't think it's as good as some of their 800 calorie versions, I would never turn down a slice!

(Also, Cheesecake has many decent salads which you can order with Caesar or Blue Cheese dressing, eliminating carbs, and can substitute in other dishes, getting broccoli/other veges instead of potatoes) (actually, we've never had a problem at any area restaurant - other than Chinese - except for dessert)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:10 pm

:D :D :D Yea it takes a loiitle looking when you eat out...but it is not that hard to figure out what you can and cannot eat....Places like Applebees...TGIF...O Charlys...Red Lobster...Craker Barrel actually have a section in there menu for low carb meals and Applebees has a section with Weight Watchers Approved meals...So at least there are some places to go that really make it easy to east out.....and we do at least 3 times a week.... :D :D :D :D
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:51 pm

Watch your cholesterol people!!!!
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:47 pm

Heather....I was thinking the same thing, lol. The weight loss is great, but everyone I knew on Atkins gained it back and 3 (a terrible statistic) developed kidney stones. All that protein ya know...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:15 pm

Linda C wrote:Heather....I was thinking the same thing, lol. The weight loss is great, but everyone I knew on Atkins gained it back and 3 (a terrible statistic) developed kidney stones. All that protein ya know...

A lot of health experts consider Atkins actively dangerous, and as evidence mounts of the kind of side effects you mention, you're hearing less and less about it in the news media.

Here's a site with a lot of information about this. Worth reading before starting on an Atkins diet:

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

As Emeril says...

by Doogy R » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:26 pm

"pork fat rules." Actually, I am not prejudiced. I like beef fat, fish fat, fowl fat, veggie fat, heck, I like all fats. I also like the protein and carbs that come along with the fat I like. I reckon I just like all foods, no matter what they contain. I am an equal opportunity eater. I'm only going around once on this little orb and I shall eat what I desire. Is that so wrong? :D
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

It's not Atkins!!

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:06 pm

Most people on "low carb diets" are not following the plan as written, are taking what they like and ditching the rest. NONE of the mainstream low carb plans advocate unlimited butter and bacon. The period of not having fruit in Atkins is only the the first 2 weeks, and most people never get past that because they like the rapid loss. None are advocating no carbs, and most allow "good carbs", the unpopular whole grain, natural foods, fruits and vegetables most people will not eat. If you are glucose intolerant (the main reason low carb works) you can never go back to the processed, high sugar, fast food way of eating or the weight comes back. BTW - this area has one of the highest incidence of kidney stones due to the high level of limestone in the water. There are studies that show a lot of the popular bottled waters have high limestone also.

Low carb is not for everyone, but there has to be a committment for lifetime to really work. When I am taking my low carb seriously, my blood work is great. I have been off it for a multitude of reasons and my cholesterol was just tested at 239. I am going to take the opportunity of being down with my surgery to get back on the wagon, I like having low blood sugars and having more energy.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:49 pm

I would love to learn more about this, Suzi. I am not dieter per se, but I try and watch what I eat when I find my 'comfort zone' (the clothes in my closet :oops: ) remind me that I need to keep things in check. When I see people around me loose a lot of weight on Atkins, it seems like it can really be a good thing for some people who need to make a serious adjustment in their weight. But it's still a diet, if not adopted correctly as you said, and can lead to other issues. What is your opinion on Weight Watchers? Like I said, I'm not a dieter, but it seems to me that they offer the most logical program of lifestyle change, which is not just a 'diet'.

But I still say Go Robert! Just don't get lost in
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:21 am

This is always the comments that come from people against the Atkins Diet...i could not be farther from the truth...Here are my numbers...Before blood pressure 130/80.....Cholesesterol 260...Bad LDL 149...Good HDL 40...Triglycerides 434...Nre numbers Blood Pressure 122/74...Chol. 162...Bad HDL 81...Good HDL 50....Triglyerides 152 ...and my Chol. HDL ratio is 3.2 anything below 5 is considered good. Just because you are on the Atkins Diet this does not mean you can eat Bacon or Sausage evry day or have Ribeyes 5 times a week. Most people that comment about this Diet really have not done there Homework and seoo just what you can eat and cannot....Numbers for me do not lie....I am over 50 pounds lighter since last August...I am off my Cholesestrol Medicine and no more blood pressure pills...By the way the first set of numbers were on the medication...the second set I was not.....As with any diet common sence needs to be used..... :D :D
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:37 am

:D :D :D Robin you say Health experts...with some of the food that you have to eat....is that healthy...But I guess that is your job so you have to eat the stuff. as far as the comments that...I know people that stoped the Atkind Diet and put the weight back on.....DA..I have breaking news for you....No matter what diet you are on if you stop and go back to your old eating habits...Guess what...You will put the weight back on....Thats not Rocket science to figure that one out..... :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:53 am

robert szappanos wrote::D :D :D :D

Did you look at the Website I posted, Robert?

If you're losing weight and improving your numbers, I say good for you.

But I'll be interested to see where you are next year at this time. Do let us know ...
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:35 am

Robin Garr wrote:
robert szappanos wrote::D :D :D :D

Did you look at the Website I posted, Robert?

Robin - please be hesitant to believe everything said in a website with the URL "anti whatever" (in this case "anti-Atkins)! To me that's a basic sign that it's not a balanced scientific examination!

1, As stated by a reader above, NONE of the low-carb diets (including Atkins) advocate a zero-carb high-fat diet. Atkins has you do this for two weeks, just to "jump start" things, but after that gradually adds 'good' carbs, as do South Beach et al.

2. The New York Times Magazine about a year ago published a major look at Atkins, concluding that (a) it works (b) why it works and (c) if followed correctly nothing is bad

3. The US Government tested all diets recently, concluding that a diet eliminating the non-complex carbs was the easiest to stay on, had the lowest recidivism, and the fewest health problems (as long as complex carbs were eaten) . . . this was on tv and newspapers, and I could find the cites if you want

Don't believe the early anti-Atkins rhetoric . . . his book had you on a high fat/no carb diet for two weeks, a low carb/lower fat diet until you got close to your goal, and then a mid-carb lean meat/low fat diet to maintain. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have read beyond the second chapter of his book, including those on the "anti-Atkins" website!

Virtually any diet can work (1) if you are motivated and (2) stick to it. Some are more healthy than others. Atkins is likely NOT the most healthy of all choices, but it has been shown to work, and if followed correctly (by adding complex carbs) is not unhealthy. Maybe it's not as good as Weight Watchers - which includes a more balanced diet - but if followed correctly the comments about danger are overstated.
Andrew Mellman
Next