Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:38 am

You are right...It is not Splenda....
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:01 am

It sure doesn't taste like sugar!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:04 am

Heather L wrote:It sure doesn't taste like sugar!

I've never really understood the appeal of artificial sweeteners. They taste weird, most of 'em are made in laboratories, and the bottom line is, no matter what kind of diet you're on, it makes more sense to either splurge on 1/2 teaspoon of real sugar in your coffee or just drink the stuff black the way nature intended. The idea that you're going to lose weight by skipping sugar in your coffee - or using a weird substitute - seems awfully close to what the psychologists call "magical thinking."
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Heather L wrote:It sure doesn't taste like sugar!

... or just drink the stuff black the way nature intended. The idea that you're going to lose weight by skipping sugar in your coffee - or using a weird substitute - seems awfully close to what the psychologists call "magical thinking."

Amen, brother. Why kill coffee with unnecessary additives?
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Splenda

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:36 am

While technically you are right about Splenda & anal leakage, the principle is the same as with Olestra: when a substance goes through the body undigested, it "can" leave the body with side effects. Olestra, being an undigested fat, tends (in some people) toward anal leakage. Splenda (in some people) tends toward abdominal pain and significant diarrhea, with the potential for accompanying muscle aches, headaches, and intestinal cramping.

In rats, there are many more side effects with Splenda, but in humans side effects appear minimal; while literally hundreds are listed in web sites, the total number of people reporting each is tiny and may not be real (eg: did you really have trouble getting to sleep because of Splenda, or was it the caffeine in the ten cups of coffee that were sweetened with the Splenda?). It appears that Splenda is as safe or safer than anything else out there (as of today - who knows what tomorrow will bring?), and has the most "sugar-like" flavor of any (since it is a sugar).

And no, I'm not employed by them - just a seeker for a sugar substitute that I like and can tolerate.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Splenda

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:39 am

andrew mellman wrote:just a seeker for a sugar substitute that I like and can tolerate.

Okay, Andrew, not to pick on you ;) but since you're the first up after my post: Do you really feel that the amount of sugar involved in sweetening coffee or tea is sufficient to have any real nutritional or dietary effect? I'm having a hard time understanding why alternatives are necessary, even in a dieting situation.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:48 am

I agree with Robin. Even while strictly watching what I eat, what does a qtr teaspoon of sugar and and just a little cream hurt?

It is insignificant to say the least.

Now, eating a double half pound double cheese burger loaded with a big batch of fries and and diet coke. Now that will really help you lose weight quick, sticking to that diet cola :lol:
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:49 am

Robin Garr wrote:
andrew mellman wrote:just a seeker for a sugar substitute that I like and can tolerate.

Okay, Andrew, not to pick on you ;) but since you're the first up after my post: Do you really feel that the amount of sugar involved in sweetening coffee or tea is sufficient to have any real nutritional or dietary effect? I'm having a hard time understanding why alternatives are necessary, even in a dieting situation.

As someone who needs to watch his blood sugar, my experience is that sugar in liquids has the most immediate spike effect--there is nothing to buffer it in digestion, to slow down the absorption. In tea, not a big deal, but I still try to avoid it. And I've cut down on soda a lot, but I can tell you that a sugar soda will send me over the edge almost immediately.

And of all the alternatives, Splenda is the best by far. Slate (I think) did a blind taste test on sweetened iced tea, and the Splenda sweetened tea came in first! I do not like the taste of Sweet n Low at all, Nutrasweet is okay, but Splenda is remarkable.

As for desserts, I generally prefer a bite of the real thing to a full serving of an artifical cheesecake or any other dessert.
Last edited by Charles W. on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Splenda

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:50 am

No idea to your specific question. My problem is that I have a tendency to diabetes, and therefore try to avoid all sugars & many carbs.

I don't drink coffee, so don't know there. I like tea, but unsweetened only. I do drink way too many colas and juice drinks per day, and feel that for me it's safer to drink the "diet" versions than the sugared.

From limited experience, for me Splenda-sweetened drinks taste more normal, and are likely better for me (tho I agree not as good as plain water would be!). Therefore, until I read the scientific study demonstrating how Splenda will kill me I'll stick with it.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:53 am

andrew mellman wrote:No idea to your specific question. My problem is that I have a tendency to diabetes, and therefore try to avoid all sugars & many carbs.

Ah, okay, your response (and Charles') make sense. I hadn't thought about the possibility of diabetic and blood-sugar issues. That's absolutely a good reason.

I remain unconvinced that anyone who's simply trying to lose weight via Atkins or calorie-counting is going to get much benefit from sugar substitutes as a coffee or tea sweetener, though.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 am

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:04 am

Interesting article, thanks!
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:02 pm

Most people that low carb works for are insulin resistant or glucose intolorant (both basically mean the same) or diabetic. Sugar, sometimes in small amounts cause blood sugar spikes, cause carb cravings (why some people can't eat "just one"). For me it is best to avoid it. My son's doctor described the easiest way to think about it, "no white stuff". Limit sugar, white flour, starches.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:56 pm

A couple of months ago, The Today Show said that researchers or maybe it was experts are saying that the Atkins Diet is the best diet for weight loss, but isn't the most healthy diet overall.
Previous