Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ryder Cup

no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

Ryder Cup

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:39 pm

Just wondering if the Ryder Cup was a profitable week for other restaurants in Louisville.
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: Ryder Cup

by Michelle R. » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:07 pm

a friend of mine works at Jeff Ruby's, and they were packed.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:36 pm

As we were without power, we had to place our guests with other B&Bs. So not only were we without power for 6 days, threw out 2 refrigerators plus a freezer full of food, we had $0 income for the week. :cry:
no avatar
User

Rob Summers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm

by Rob Summers » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:27 pm

could a business sue E-on for the loss of business and product?
The 'net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
~William Gibson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Rob Summers wrote:could a business sue E-on for the loss of business and product?

Any bozo with the money to hire a lawyer can sue, I guess. Whether he could WIN is a whole nuther matter. I'd see that one being thrown out of court fast, unless the restaurateur could somehow prove that E-on was negligent in his specific case.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 am

We had a strong week, but it seemed to me our main demographic that could be linked to Ryder was not international guests, but locals entertaining out- of- town guests.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Sorry to be so late to this, but I've got a couple of semi-learned comments to some of the questions posed:

Probably not going to do well with a suit against E-on. The service interruption was caused by what is generally referred to as an act of god, and there is usually no negligence liability for that sort of thing.

Leah, you may have insurance coverage for your damaged spoiled food and, if you haven't already explored this, some comprehensive business insurance policies have what is called "business interruption insurance." It might have provided reimbursement to you for the lost revenues due to being out of business as a result of events beyound your control. If you didn't have it, you might want to explore with your insurance agent the cost of getting some.

Good luck to all, and, again, sorry for the huge delay.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:42 pm

We had half power at the Shady Lane Cafe through some strange one of two phase power going into the shopping center, so without air, and half my equipment working, we were slammed. Doors wide open, flies everwhere, no toast, didnt seem to matter. We had deperate persons, willing to pay five bucks for a small bag of ice (we didnt bilk them) and no complaints for the heat and such... we lucked out and where the last in the county to get full power restored. Bill
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:14 pm

The problem with "business interuption insurance" is that the payout is typically calculated based on a trend of what the business would typically do daily or for a particular time period/event. Since the Ryder Cup week was a first for Leah, I'm guessing even if insured, she'd have been paid based on what she had historically made during that time period- ie nowhere near the lost revenue opportunity. We had a similiar issue when we had water damage prior to opening our store. While we were covered, we had no previous revenue history ,so there wasn't a payment, even though it delayed our opening by two weeks.

Anybody else have an experierence with insurance covering Ryder Cup lost revenues (as opposed to lost food)?

Deb
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Both DH and I are retired insurance agents. The coverage we have is cheap enough that not having business interruption insurance is OK. We have saved enough in premiums to cover it. It was still annoying having to place all our business elsewhere.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:07 am

Deb Hall wrote:Anybody else have an experierence with insurance covering Ryder Cup lost revenues (as opposed to lost food)?

The first thing I told my adjuster was that this was Ryder Cup week and that it was going to be a bigger than a normal week. She understood this and asked that we base it on Derby Week. I thought this was fair. So we dug out numbers from past Derby weeks. We also had a band booked for that weekend and that is always huge so we also used numbers form when we had bands in the past. All we were out was our deductible, which was bad enough.. I highly recommend Business interruption insurance. Not sure if we could have absorbed the hit and come out the other end.
Will Crawford