Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Steak restaurant

no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:36 pm

Have at it, Dan. Just try to avoid Steve's "doggy-doo" bon mot. Heck, I'm still waiting for someone to say "he stole my comic book AND my candy bar." :cry:
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:03 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Have at it, Dan. Just try to avoid Steve's "doggy-doo" bon mot. Heck, I'm still waiting for someone to say "he stole my comic book AND my candy bar." :cry:

I should have utilized the more contemporary, hip form of the term, i.e., "dookie". :lol:
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:38 pm

Or better yet not even used it..... :)
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:35 pm

Dan Boyle wrote:I would so like to throw my in my 2 cents here but, I'm quite sure it will either fall on deaf ears or I'll get blasted.

Open minds are the road to enlightenment
Waiting for that 2 cents Dan.....but I think I owe you 2 and1/2. Hope a rubber check works.........LOL
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:00 pm

robert szappanos wrote:You show real class and show just how much hate there is for "The places I like to eat at" on this Food Forum...or should be called Food Forum as long as it is Local....:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

That's a great idea. Can we change the name, then?
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Lets....
no avatar
User

Dan Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:33 pm

Jeffersontown

by Dan Boyle » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:36 pm

OK, here's my 2 cents, I know Mr. Clancy can probably make change too... :P

There's so much I said, she said or even he said out here. I know that we all have are preferences towards food styles. Some more of a majority than others. I personally like my steaks, or beef for that matter done medium to medium rare depending of the type of cut. I realize Robert does not. Well, bully for him. Does'nt make me right or wrong nor he either. I also frequent some " chain " establishments as well as locally owned. Does'nt make me a leftist or a right-winger either. There are some corporate owned restaurants that I've Never had a bad meal in. Some local establishments I dine at far exceed my expectations.

I guess that I try to maintain a balanced diet... :lol:

All in all, I really don't think that anyone here is in error or wrong. What was kinda off center was the poor gal who asked for ligitimate suggestions and as usual a thread goes off in a different direction or about personal agendas.

Cracks me up.

:lol: .OUT
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:54 pm

Dan Boyle wrote:OK, here's my 2 cents, I know Mr. Clancy can probably make change too... :P

There's so much I said, she said or even he said out here. I know that we all have are preferences towards food styles. Some more of a majority than others. I personally like my steaks, or beef for that matter done medium to medium rare depending of the type of cut. I realize Robert does not. Well, bully for him. Does'nt make me right or wrong nor he either. I also frequent some " chain " establishments as well as locally owned. Does'nt make me a leftist or a right-winger either. There are some corporate owned restaurants that I've Never had a bad meal in. Some local establishments I dine at far exceed my expectations.

I guess that I try to maintain a balanced diet... :lol: Well stated Dano!

All in all, I really don't think that anyone here is in error or wrong. What was kinda off center was the poor gal who asked for ligitimate suggestions and as usual a thread goes off in a different direction or about personal agendas.

Cracks me up.

:lol: .OUT
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm sure most of us here go to both locals and chains. I do as well.

However, my trajectory in eating has been that the more I eat at locals, the more my palate has changed to want more from locals. It's like the food at chains has naturally become less appetizing to me. And finding good food at locals has become an exciting pastime.

I used to adore White Castles, for instance. (I know -- yecch!) Now, they are a very rare thing I eat -- I have to be tipsy or be in a strange mood to eat there now. Heh.

I'm also more health conscious these days. And I have found that at some chains, they have an odd tendency to promote something as healthy even if has a *lot* of calories and/or they provide super portions. I guess at 40 I am tired of having my health cheated like that.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:09 pm

Well put, Dan. Thank you.
no avatar
User

Dan Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:33 pm

Jeffersontown

by Dan Boyle » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Hey Dave, you were going to say...?

Steve, I have to agree with you on 2 points.

First, the quality of cuisine with a large number of corporate entities is diminishing, happens frequently shortly after they open. I suppose it's the style of restaurant or maybe the customer base they look for..I really don't know. However, there are a few that consistantly maintain that original quality even though they're all entitled to an off night like everyone.

Second, at 47 I too am more aware of healthy foods and some restaurants, corporate or not who state their offerings as ' healthy' are truly not. Shame, Shame, Shame.. :?

Mr. Clancy..did you remember what you wanted to say...by the way..what's that in your mouth in your emoticon..I though you quit that nasty tobacco habit..cigs are bad for you.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Dan Boyle wrote:Mr. Clancy..did you remember what you wanted to say...by the way..what's that in your mouth in your emoticon..I though you quit that nasty tobacco habit..cigs are bad for you.

That's a good one LOL. Ask the folks at Little Chef ...
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Dan Boyle wrote:Hey Dave, you were going to say...?

Steve, I have to agree with you on 2 points.

First, the quality of cuisine with a large number of corporate entities is diminishing, happens frequently shortly after they open. I suppose it's the style of restaurant or maybe the customer base they look for..I really don't know. However, there are a few that consistantly maintain that original quality even though they're all entitled to an off night like everyone.

Second, at 47 I too am more aware of healthy foods and some restaurants, corporate or not who state their offerings as ' healthy' are truly not. Shame, Shame, Shame.. :?

Mr. Clancy..did you remember what you wanted to say...by the way..what's that in your mouth in your emoticon..I though you quit that nasty tobacco habit..cigs are bad for you.
Damn Dan....I posted within you post cause I'm a boob.......think I said something like well stated Dano! Geez, now I gotta buy you a Croupier......Still smokin baby!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:14 pm

Well I have been to many chains that offer a low cal /low carb section in there menu.....More and more places are doing it...By some of your comments are you saying that by eating at a local place is better for your health then a chain??? I think not. At least some of the larger chains now offer a section that offers a lighter fare then the rest of the menu...maybe some of the local places need to do the same....By thwe way with some of the comments does that mean that a Cheese Burger from a local place is healthier than fropm a chian? The bottom line it is the person that is ordering the food to know what is good and not good for that persons health....Being a local or a chain has nothing to do with it....
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:52 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Well I have been to many chains that offer a low cal /low carb section in there menu.....More and more places are doing it...By some of your comments are you saying that by eating at a local place is better for your health then a chain??? I think not. At least some of the larger chains now offer a section that offers a lighter fare then the rest of the menu...maybe some of the local places need to do the same....By thwe way with some of the comments does that mean that a Cheese Burger from a local place is healthier than fropm a chian? The bottom line it is the person that is ordering the food to know what is good and not good for that persons health....Being a local or a chain has nothing to do with it....

Yes, there was a trend for a while in that direction. But in the past several years, restaurants are reversing themselves across the board. I am noticing more caloric and bigger portion choices taking over again. Your mileage may vary.

I disagree that it is "easy" to know in advance if a dish is healthy or not. I have been a victim of a kind of "bait and switch" at some chains, where the description of the entree was made to sound healthy, but came out of the kitchen as a high-calorie dish. I've never had this happen at a local.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
PreviousNext