Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Caffe Classico

no avatar
User

Jess T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Caffe Classico

by Jess T » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:05 am

Still no power and tired of Qdoba and Beer Depot, my fiance and I finally got around to trying out Caffe Classico. And we weren't disappointed!! I ordered a glass of the Shoofly Shiraz- not bad. My honey had a chimay beer, which I didn't know cost $9.00 a glass. Eeek. After refusing to order the pomme frittes as an appetizer (the fiance was not happy with me), we settled on the lyonnaise salad. What a treat! A large bed of frisee with crumbled bacon and diced tomatoes, topped with a perfectly cooked egg- over easy. The menu said herb dressing. Not sure what was in it, but it was good. Hidden on the bottom is the "crouton," a thick slice of baguette.

I ordered the pizza alla bobo, and my fiance got the garlic shrimp with linguine. The linguine came out with about 10 decent sized shrimp with a perfect smattering of spinach, pine nuts, and fresh reggiano. The pasta was cooked perfectly in a garlic white wine sauce. My fiance was blown away, and he is a tough critic. However, the pinnacle of this dining experience had to be the pizza. Perfect thin crust with fresh mozzarella, pepperoni and prosciutto. It was more like a pepperoni pizza with a little prosciutto, which was great because I was worried the prosciutto would be too dominate. The sauce was perfect. The taste and amount of cheese was perfect. The blend of spices was perfect. I will be back again and again for that pizza.

Top off the meal with great service. I hope Caffe Classico keeps it up because I'm definitely putting it into my rotation now.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Caffe Classico

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:11 am

Jess T wrote: I hope Caffe Classico keeps it up because I'm definitely putting it into my rotation now.

This is one of my favorite places in the entire city! We generally use it as a coffee shop, and almost invariably drop in for Sunday afternoon coffee drinks and the New York Times, but as you've noticed, proprietor Tommie Mudd has a decent beer program and excellent bistro-style menu. With the atmosphere of a cool coffee shop in Spain - or maybe Buenos Aires - it's a winner all around.

With Primo gone, the pizza (which is actually based on a Bosnian model!) certainly ranks as the best European-style pizza left standing.
no avatar
User

Jess T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

by Jess T » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:13 am

Its now one of my favorites too! and within walking distance. Robin, I just found your previous review. Mine is quite similar to yours. Oops! :oops:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:16 am

Jess T wrote:Its now one of my favorites too! and within walking distance. Robin, I just found your previous review. Mine is quite similar to yours. Oops! :oops:

No need to be embarrassed! It's always good to post reviews. I don't want to have to do ALL the work around here! :D
no avatar
User

Garrett Hord

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

Louisville, KY

by Garrett Hord » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:22 pm

I love, love, love Classico. The french fries are wonderful...all of the salads are great and I really love the wasabi tuna salad sanwich. A house salad and a pizza are a great summer supper. And of course the incredible espresso drinks...beautiful foam that is as thick as whipped cream. Truly a small and beautiful treasure. Not to mention Tommy and the staff, all are very nice and great at what they do. I forgot...I could eat a case of those little cookies that come with coffee.
foodie