Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Great American Dine Out

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Great American Dine Out

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:59 pm

I was very disappointed that the list of restaurants that are participating in the Share our Strength's - Great American Dine Out next week and not find any independent locals participating. If memory serves me correctly some of them participated in the past. Several chains with local outlets are listed including McAlister's, Beef O'brady's and Captain D's but not any locals or nicer chains, I wonder if it's a sign of the economy or something else?

Anyway, here's a link to the web site: Great American Dine Out
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Great American Dine Out

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:07 pm

Very odd indeed, Mark. Along similar lines, this is the first I've heard of it this year, and in the past, they've always come to us and asked (and been gladly granted) front page PSA space, which I'm always happy to donate to charitable events involving local eateries.

As i recall, it's a national event with local sponsors. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like maybe for some reason the local sponsor failed to step up this year, so all they have for Louisville is the chains that sponsor the event nationally or regionally.

Still, it's sad. A great way to support a good cause AND your local restaurant community. I'd like to know what went wrong in hope it can be done better next year.

Mark R. wrote:I was very disappointed that the list of restaurants that are participating in the Share our Strength's - Great American Dine Out next week and not find any independent locals participating. If memory serves me correctly some of them participated in the past. Several chains with local outlets are listed including McAlister's, Beef O'brady's and Captain D's but not any locals or nicer chains, I wonder if it's a sign of the economy or something else?

Anyway, here's a link to the web site: Great American Dine Out
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Does anyone have any idea why Louisville is not participating?

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:43 pm

Mark R. wrote:Does anyone have any idea why Louisville is not participating?

Wasn't House of Ruth the past beneficiary? Perhaps call that organization and ask? If there was a problem, though, they might not be fully forthcoming ...
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Wasn't House of Ruth the past beneficiary? Perhaps call that organization and ask? If there was a problem, though, they might not be fully forthcoming ...

I think you're right, I'll try to give them a call tomorrow.

no avatar
User

Patrick McB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am

by Patrick McB » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:32 pm

I believe there is some confusion between the Great American Dine Out (fights children's hunger) event and the Dine Out for Life event.

The Dine Out for Life event is a national event with plenty of local support. The beneficiaries of this event are non-profit orgainziations whose focus is providing support for individuals (family members, spouses, etc) impacted by AIDS. Locally, the House of Ruth, coordinates this event. This year the event in Louisville is scheduled for Wednesday, December 3. Once their promotional materials are available, I'll provide a link to them with the hopes that some of you might be able to participate.

In the event, you are a restaurant, deli, cafe, etc and would like to support this event by donating a percentage (your choice) of revenue, contact House of Ruth directly.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Patrick McB wrote:I believe there is some confusion between the Great American Dine Out (fights children's hunger) event and the Dine Out for Life event.

I believe you're right, Patrick, and thanks for clearing that up! (Welcome to the forum, too. I'm glad we finally got that pesky password problem resolved.)

If you would, please remind the folks at Dine Out for Life and/or House of Ruth to get in touch with me during the coming month ... I'll be happy to provide free public-service advertising on LouisvilleHotBytes as we've done in the past, but that's a busy season, and it's best to get my attention early.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Patrick McB wrote:I believe there is some confusion between the Great American Dine Out (fights children's hunger) event and the Dine Out for Life event.

I know we've also had the Great American Eat Out sponsored by Share our Strength benefiting hungry children represented Louisville in the past. I forget which restaurants participated like to know we have had it several years. I don't remember the Dine Out for Life event supporting those affected by AIDS, but I'm sure we've had it. I personally hope we will participate in all this type of event since it not only supports a worthy cause but gets restaurants recognized.