Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

Re: Calistoga Artsan Sandwich

by Ellen White » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:39 am

Their website is:
http://www.calistogacafe.com
It is actually called Calistoga Bakery Cafe
Looking at the menus and pictures is where I determined that it seems like Panera.
The website says that there are 2 Louisville locations opening soon, but it doesn't say where. We all know about the Dupont location, but I don't know where the other one will be.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:56 am

Ellen White wrote:Their website is:
http://www.calistogacafe.com
It is actually called Calistoga Bakery Cafe
Looking at the menus and pictures is where I determined that it seems like Panera.
The website says that there are 2 Louisville locations opening soon, but it doesn't say where. We all know about the Dupont location, but I don't know where the other one will be.

David O. wrote:They're also putting one in the new U of L medical office building at Preston and Chestnut.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:05 am

Elizabeth S wrote:If a "local" pitched a tent there and put out food at the Panera level, as Chris said, people would be falling over themselves to get there.

Elizabeth, with respect, Bountiful Bread was about as close to local as a chain can get - local baker, and one of only a handful of properties in an Albany-based chain. It also had the advantage of being one of the premiere restaurants in Westport Village. Yet it failed in a few months. That's sad, but my best guess is that it sought to replicate the Panera model but failed to outdo Panera, giving people no particular reason to pass by a Panera on their way to Bountiful.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:54 am

Robin,
I remember Bountiful Breads and that was a shame. I just live too far away to have made it a destination. My comment was specific to that particular location (of Calistoga). There are not many options close by on the hospital side of Breckenridge Lane and any addition would be welcome. I was just trying to echo a comment that if Calistoga were a "local" place, more of us would be looking forward to the new addition to our local foodie scene rather than casting a weary eye towards it as another Panera clone.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 am

Elizabeth S wrote:I was just trying to echo a comment that if Calistoga were a "local" place, more of us would be looking forward to the new addition to our local foodie scene rather than casting a weary eye towards it as another Panera clone.

Fair enough, Elizabeth! We surely don't want you to feel picked on here, and you have every right to express your opinions ... what's more, you've expressed them well. :)

For me, I feel - particularly with rough economic seas possibly ahead - that it makes sense for people who care about Louisville's unique independent restaurant scene to support it with both our words and our dollars. I do have a preferential option for locals, and I don't deny it. But that said, I do eat at chains, and review them, and sometimes review them positively. I just think that at all times, and especially when times are tough, it's a good thing to support our locals.

But I promise we won't flame you if you eat at Calistoga, and you might even see me there at least once or twice. :)
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:19 pm

I have heard that it is to be more "upscale" than Panera, and that the driving force behind it is Mrs. Schnatter. I'm looking forward to the opening.
no avatar
User

Fred Kunz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:36 pm

by Fred Kunz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 am

Looks like they are opening tomarrow oct 15th
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Judging how busy Panera on Dutchmans is, on any given day, it was probably a very wise business decision to put a Panera-esque place there. I don't have time to wait at Wild Eggs, or drive to many of the local places for lunch, as is the situation with most of us on this board. I'm happy another upscale sandwich place is going in close to where I work, regardless of who owns it. If the food is good, and prices are reasonable, it will do well, if not, it will fail. The more options, the better. The same old places get boring. Wish a good Chinese place would pop up over here...
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
Previous