Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Amazon wine sales

User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

Amazon wine sales

by Jessica Devine » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:41 pm

I heard on the radio this morning that Amazon is going to begin their wine sales in October.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080910/wr_nm/amazon_wine_dc

I know that 26 states will be able to order wine from Amazon. Is Kentucky one of these states? Also, does anyone think that this will hurt sales of local wine distributers in Louisville or anywhere else? It seems like Amazon is pretty cheap for books so I'm wondering if their wine will be cheaper too.
Last edited by Jessica Devine on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Amazon wine sales

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:43 am

Jessica Hardison wrote:I heard on the radio this morning that Amazon is going to begin their wine sales in October.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080910/wr_nm/amazon_wine_dc

I know that 26 states will be able to order wine from Amazon. Is Kentucky one of these states? Also, does anyone think that this will hurt sales of local wine distributers in Louisville or anywhere else? It seems like Amazon is pretty cheap for books so I'm wondering if their wine will be cheaper too.

Jessica, it's a non-starter for us, I'm afraid. Although a federal court threw out a particularly bad wine-shipping law, a move that in my non-legal interpretation SHOULD have opened up wine shipping to Kentuckians, we in fact remain one of the states in which most wine vendors will not ship directly to consumers.

I don't know if this is still the case, but until now, Amazon's wine sales have been through Wine.com, a large E-tailer whose prices are generally extremely high. Personally, I'm just glad that Louisville has wine shops with selection well above most cities our size, and pricing that at worst seems around the median. We're not as desperate for wine shipping as folks in cities less well served by local retail.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:03 am

I agree Robin, after the court ruling there shouldn't be an issue shipping wine to Kentucky but some sellers still think there is. Of course, I've never had a problem getting my allocations ship to my home anyway! The FedEx driver always laughs about how much "pottery" I buy from California. While I agree we have a very good local group all wine retailers there are still many smaller wineries whose products are not available here.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:08 am

Mark R. wrote:Of course, I've never had a problem getting my allocations ship to my home anyway! The FedEx driver always laughs about how much "pottery" I buy from California. While I agree we have a very good local group all wine retailers there are still many smaller wineries whose products are not available here.

Our UPS and FedEx guys are cool, too, Mark. They always hint for wine for Christmas, and that works for me! :D

You're right, too, about rare and allocated wines, although there's still that problem of convincing wineries that it's okay for them to ship. As a wine writer I have a slight advantage there. We ought to compare notes - perhaps privately - about vendors that will generally ship out to us in the Bluegrass State.