Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Heirloom winter squash

no avatar
User

TomRanz

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:22 am

Heirloom winter squash

by TomRanz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:53 pm

I am a pharmacist, and part-time farmer. This year, I grew almost one acre of heirloom winter squash at a farm in Corydon, IN, and the harvest is in! I have been selling smaller winter squash at two local Farmers Markets. I believe the larger squash, however, are more suited to restaurant use. They all store very well, at least through the winter. I have Musquee de Provence, weighing from 15-25 lbs. each. This is a wonderful-tasting French squash, shaped like a large wheel of cheese. I have Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin, which is acclaimed as the BEST pumpkin for use in fresh pumpkin pies. And I have Pink Banana (looks like its name) squash, a Guatemalan heirloom weighing from 15-30 lbs each (very large). This is also a great-tasting and long-storing winter squash, acclaimed by Amy Goldman in her book "The Compleat Squash" as one of the best. Are there any local chefs, Slow Fooders, or general foodies that believe in local food that might be interested in purchasing some of these squash? They are beautiful, really unique and really great tasting.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Heirloom winter squash

by David R. Pierce » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Which two Farmer's Markets?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

TomRanz

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:22 am

by TomRanz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:03 am

Phoenix Hill on Tuesdays and St. Matthews on Saturdays (won't be at St. M tomorrow)
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:54 pm

I saw this guys stuff at Phoenix Hill market last Tuesday. It all looked very good. I would think that restaurants would be looking for this product this time of year for fall specials.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.