Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Six Senses...

no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

The Six Senses...

by Stephen D » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:44 pm

I would like to take this opportunity to follow up on the molecular musings post by soliciting opinions about the way in which one eats, or drinks (dines.) Taoists have been paying attention to this aesthetic for centuries, the Japanese call it washoku and now El Bulli has brought the concept fully to the west by incorporating it into their philosophy...

The Mind: It is said that we dine with our eyes first, yet it seems that we dine with our minds first. What if I told you I was driving to a vegetarian restaurant, and I pulled into a place named 'Hoof to Snout?' Even if the place served the best veggie fare ever, you wouldn't appreciate it as much as, say, 'Zen Garden.' What if I gave you a banana that tasted like bouillabaise? What would you do if I gave you 3 envelopes labeled medium, hard and extreme and told you that your prix- fix menu was inside each? Or blindfolded you as you sat down to your meal, and then began to sharpen a knife behind you?

Touch: Internal/ external. Think about eating the silkiest lobster bisque with a spoon wrapped in sandpaper. How about eating hot and sour soup in a refrigerator? Or, from a recent experience, a pureed soup with a pecan garnish? Does it necessarily have to be an exercise in contrast to get the point across? What if the aforementioned bisque was eaten with a spoon wrapped in silk?

Sound: Corn flakes vs. pop rocks vs. pop- tarts vs. crispy bacon vs salmon caviar. Jazz vs. Industrial, Classic Rock vs. Club, wind chimes, intelligent banter... If I served you suckling pig, it would definitely be cooler if I played Metallica versus Enya. The latter, you might just break down in tears, the former, you might just feel as if you were dining in Valhalla.

Sight: Why not propose an experiment? The next time you are eating dinner, eat a few bites and then turn the lights off or put on a blindfold (I swear I won't be behind you sharpening a knife!) How much would it affect your taste perception? What if you were fed baby corn that had been dyed bright red with food coloring? Wouldn't you subconsciously/ habitually look for saffron, annatto or capsaicin?

Smell/ Taste: My favorite example of a chef exploring these interconnected senses is the BBQ dish Jose' Andres served on Iron Chef America. Braised short ribs, I think, served under a glass dome in that he filled with hickory smoke. All of the judges commented that it tasted like exceptional BBQ, even though he didn't smoke the meat itself. Or what about 'vapors?' A bowl is placed inside a larger bowl in which aromatics are placed. When served, boiling water is placed in the larger bowl, releasing the aroma of the contents. Does anybody have any examples of dishes that have nuances that only come out on the nose, not the palate?

It would be really cool if we could get a raging thread going on this one. I'm sure we could come up with some pretty interesting ideas. I'm looking forward to trying some new ideas, what foodie doesn't?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: The Six Senses...

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:19 pm

I think this is an incredible topic, and thanks, Stephen, for posting. I don't want to knee-jerk, but I'll post some thoughts in due course. Hope others won't be so cautious! :oops:

Also, this is a topic that bridges The Kitchen and the main forum. Frankly, as much as I love the Kitchen section, I'm thinking this might get more traction if I use Janitor Magick to move it over to the main forum so not only the chefs and wannabes (like me) but the non-cooking foodies can have at it as well. Any objection if I do so?
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think this is an incredible topic, and thanks, Stephen, for posting. I don't want to knee-jerk, but I'll post some thoughts in due course. Hope others won't be so cautious! :oops:

Also, this is a topic that bridges The Kitchen and the main forum. Frankly, as much as I love the Kitchen section, I'm thinking this might get more traction if I use Janitor Magick to move it over to the main forum so not only the chefs and wannabes (like me) but the non-cooking foodies can have at it as well. Any objection if I do so?

By all means, Robin!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Stephen D wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I think this is an incredible topic, and thanks, Stephen, for posting. I don't want to knee-jerk, but I'll post some thoughts in due course. Hope others won't be so cautious! :oops:

By all means, Robin!

Done, O Fellow Co-Author. Which reminds me, oh, geez, I haven't put today's LEO stuff on HotBytes yet, and I'm cooking dinner (seafood gumbo) now ...
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 pm

I've always lived by this one from sixties fun.............. :lol:

"experience is chiefly a function of set and setting, of
preparation and environment."

It's very difficult to resist purchasing a case of vino enjoyed while overlooking a gorgeous view on vacation. :)
no avatar
User

SheilaB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Louisville

by SheilaB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:30 pm

One of my all-time favorite dining experiences was at miniBar the restaurant within a restaurant at Cafe Atlantico in DC. They do a 30+ course tasting menu (all "mini" dishes prepared in front of you.) There is a great deal of molecular gastronomy and innovation - and delicious food. But to get to the point - one of the dishes I remember was a beef dish that came with a small square of cloth. We were told to take a bite of meat and inhale the scent on the cloth at the same time - sure enough the dish "tasted" of truffles.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:47 pm

Tom Holstein wrote:I've always lived by this one from sixties fun.............. :lol:

It's very difficult to resist purchasing a case of vino enjoyed while overlooking a gorgeous view on vacation. :)

'Sense memory' is very cool. Do you think we can play with the concept and come up with something truly original?
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Stephen D wrote:
Tom Holstein wrote:I've always lived by this one from sixties fun.............. :lol:

'Sense memory' is very cool. Do you think we can play with the concept and come up with something truly original?

Most assuredly.......

Let's brainstormmmmm soon. :D
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:05 am

Great topic! I think it also illustrates the importance of ambiance in a restaurant. I love the sushi at Sapporros (sp) bit I can't go there with a certain friend of mine because of the disco-esque music they play in the dining room. I can tune it out; he can not.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:01 am

Stephen D wrote:What would you do if I gave you 3 envelopes labeled medium, hard and extreme and told you that your prix- fix menu was inside each?

Mugaritz in San Sebastion, Spain does a similar thing.

When you sit down you find two envelopes.

One reads "150 mins...Submit!"
the other
"150 mins...Rebel!"

Obviously, you should be submitting to the will of chef Andoni Luis Aduriz and his staff... :wink:
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:06 pm

SheilaB wrote:One of my all-time favorite dining experiences was at miniBar the restaurant within a restaurant at Cafe Atlantico in DC. They do a 30+ course tasting menu (all "mini" dishes prepared in front of you.) There is a great deal of molecular gastronomy and innovation - and delicious food. But to get to the point - one of the dishes I remember was a beef dish that came with a small square of cloth. We were told to take a bite of meat and inhale the scent on the cloth at the same time - sure enough the dish "tasted" of truffles.

Jose' Andres rocks! I did a similar thing, within the past six months with the paper that fresh Burgundy truffles are stored in. They sweat, so they are packed in paper and you are instructed to change this paper daily. I would simply take the paper and place it in a snifter. Worked like a charm!
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:13 pm

carla griffin wrote:Great topic! I think it also illustrates the importance of ambiance in a restaurant. I love the sushi at Sapporros (sp) bit I can't go there with a certain friend of mine because of the disco-esque music they play in the dining room. I can tune it out; he can not.

Good point, and it raises something I have been thinking about with regards to dining: 'Dressing the part." Recently, I had some tapas at Mojito's and wore a wife- beater (sorry don't have the cool hat, nor the suspenders.) Sitting there, 'dressed' kind of like I would be if I were in Havana, definately brought a subconscious element to the meal. Like I belonged, or something, it's hard to put my finger on it.

What about the opposite... how would you feel if you went to Mark's Feed Store dressed in a tux? Or the Oakoom in sandals?