Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

Seafood Restaurant Suggestions

by Elizabeth S » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:25 am

My husband and I recently had to meet friends at Mitchell's Fish Market. We had never been to Mitchell's before but were very impressed with the menu and the prices. We know it's a chain and would much rather support locals but we can't think of one place that would be comparable. It seems as though one would have to go a step higher to Z's or a step lower to the Fishery, Carolina Shrimp, etc.... Does anyone have any suggestions on a comparable local place?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Seafood Restaurant Suggestions

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:29 am

Elizabeth S wrote:My husband and I recently had to meet friends at Mitchell's Fish Market. We had never been to Mitchell's before but were very impressed with the menu and the prices. We know it's a chain and would much rather support locals but we can't think of one place that would be comparable. It seems as though one would have to go a step higher to Z's or a step lower to the Fishery, Carolina Shrimp, etc.... Does anyone have any suggestions on a comparable local place?

Elizabeth, when this question comes up, I have a standard answer: So many of Louisville's excellent restaurants do so well with seafood and fish as PART of their bill of fare, it hardly seems necessary for us to have a restaurant whose entire shtick is seafood. Think of the amazing seafood and fish dishes at Seviche, Havana Rumba, L&N Wine Bar, Corbett's, Proof on Main, Varanese ... the list goes on and on. I'm hard-pressed to think of a local restaurant where you can't satisfy your fish craving in the highest of style, as long as you don't insist on a seafood-only spot.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:39 am

Robin,
I agree with you 100% regarding the fine seafood dishes at the locals restaurants. We both were addicted to the Seared Ahi Tuna at L&N. However, although many places will have seafood dishes that are excellent, I was looking for a place with greater depth in their seafood selection. My husband is from the Northeast and he gets massive cravings for oysters on the half shell, clams, etc... Before we went to Mitchell's, he was resigned to the fact that we could only enjoy those things in more of an upscale setting at Z's. In any case, from your response, I guess we are out of luck as to local joints.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:08 am

I've heard the saying, "eat it where it lives." Seafood served in Louisville will never be as good as that served along the coast.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:44 am

Richard S. wrote:I've heard the saying, "eat it where it lives." Seafood served in Louisville will never be as good as that served along the coast.

Not so sure about that. With UPS having a major hub here and Blue Fin Seafood bringing it in. It is as fresh as anywhere.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 am

I agree. Most fish get better after "resting" for a while. The 1 or 2 day lag from the water can be good.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:47 am

While Produce Lane doesn't look like Maine, the lobstah is just as fresh at Clearwater Fine Foods.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Richard S. wrote:I've heard the saying, "eat it where it lives." Seafood served in Louisville will never be as good as that served along the coast.

As others say, that really doesn't play here in the age of fast transportation. Never has, really. Louisville has been hustling seafood up on ice via rail since the 1860s when Mazzoni's was new in town.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:25 pm

According to the latest TV commercials we all should be eating at Captain D's .... flame away ! :P

GG.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Gary Guss wrote:According to the latest TV commercials we all should be eating at Captain D's .... flame away ! :P

I can't speak for Captain D's, but I was surprised and pleased with the consistent high quality of Moby Dick when I was working on a fish-for-Lent story last spring, and wrote a favorable review. Never got much flak over it, either.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:42 pm

It's a whale of a sandwich ! Or a social disease :roll:
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:32 pm

Gary Guss wrote:According to the latest TV commercials we all should be eating at Captain D's .... flame away ! :P
GG.

Actually Captain D's isn't terrible and you can't beat it for bang for the buck! Obviously, it's not in the same class as Mitchell's or others of that caliber but it certainly holds its own when compared to Red Lobster, Moby Dick, etc.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 pm

Two dishes outside of the traditional seafood restaurant setting suddenly spring to mind: Blackstone Grille in Prospect has an excellent appetizer called Chimichurri Shrimp Scampi and a fried atlantic cod sandwich with onion rings that is equal to all our local greats.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:44 am

Robin Garr wrote:

As others say, that really doesn't play here in the age of fast transportation. Never has, really. Louisville has been hustling seafood up on ice via rail since the 1860s when Mazzoni's was new in town.

If you're interested in eating local food, especially in terms of environmentalism, "the age of fast transportation" really doesn't do much for seafood. I agree that a number of Louisville restaurants and distributors do a great job with what they have shipped in, but the carbon emissions from UPS planes (not to mention the noise for me since I live under one of the SDF's flight paths) aren't very cool.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:55 am

Joel H wrote:If you're interested in eating local food, especially in terms of environmentalism, "the age of fast transportation" really doesn't do much for seafood. I agree that a number of Louisville restaurants and distributors do a great job with what they have shipped in, but the carbon emissions from UPS planes (not to mention the noise for me since I live under one of the SDF's flight paths) aren't very cool.

Okay, that's fair, Joel. Modern life is complicated, and it requires balancing priorities - and sometimes compromising among them.

I'm a locavore, and I also love excellent food. We now buy ALL our meats, poultry and eggs from local producers, and a good part of our produce in season. I think this pays my locavore dues; but I'm not such a fundamentalist that I won't take advantage of the fact that my town happens to have a cultural and ethnic history that has always made us willing to use whatever is the most recent technology to bring good seafood and fish inland. Having it both ways, maybe ... but I sort of like to think of it as a form of "pollution credit." I'm such a good locavore so much of the time that I can have my swimps if I want 'em. ;)
Next