Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Seafood Restaurant Suggestions

by Joel H » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Okay, that's fair, Joel. Modern life is complicated, and it requires balancing priorities - and sometimes compromising among them.

I'm a locavore, and I also love excellent food. We now buy ALL our meats, poultry and eggs from local producers, and a good part of our produce in season. I think this pays my locavore dues; but I'm not such a fundamentalist that I won't take advantage of the fact that my town happens to have a cultural and ethnic history that has always made us willing to use whatever is the most recent technology to bring good seafood and fish inland. Having it both ways, maybe ... but I sort of like to think of it as a form of "pollution credit." I'm such a good locavore so much of the time that I can have my swimps if I want 'em. ;)

That's totally fair, and I pretty much agree with you. And if I'm at a local restaurant with decent non-local seafood options, it's not like I won't try them. But it is important to know that there are hidden costs in everything we eat, as more and more people are becoming aware.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:31 pm

There are some places along the coast that use fast-frozen commercial seafood. Unless you're eating at a place that catches,cleans,and cooks all on site; chances are it's frozen. Not to say there are not places that purchase it fresh ; everday. My only point is there is no difference between the fish used in Louisville and along some coastal eateries.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Kyle L wrote:There are some places along the coast that use fast-frozen commercial seafood. Unless you're eating at a place that catches,cleans,and cooks all on site; chances are it's frozen. Not to say there are not places that purchase it fresh ; everday. My only point is there is no difference between the fish used in Louisville and along some coastal eateries.

Bingo! My mother and my sister both live in the Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach strip of Florida, and when we first started going down there, I thought, "Whoa, great seafood!" As it happens, though, we've found that with the exceptions of a very few, very high-end places, it's just as you say ... everything flash-frozen to be battered and fried later. Honestly, I can count off a half-dozen fried-fish places here of better food quality than anything we've found on the Space Coast, although it's hard to beat outdoor dining on the Florida coast for atmosphere ...
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Joel H wrote:If you're interested in eating local food, especially in terms of environmentalism, "the age of fast transportation" really doesn't do much for seafood. I agree that a number of Louisville restaurants and distributors do a great job with what they have shipped in, but the carbon emissions from UPS planes (not to mention the noise for me since I live under one of the SDF's flight paths) aren't very cool.

You may be right on seafood, but for other things, like lamb, that isnt the case. New Zealand lamb shipping to the US generally has a smaller carbon footprint than locally grown lamb. Ditto a lot of Chilean produce.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:You may be right on seafood, but for other things, like lamb, that isnt the case. New Zealand lamb shipping to the US generally has a smaller carbon footprint than locally grown lamb.

Slight misunderstanding there ... I believe you are alluding to a report that had to do with ENGLISH lamb sold in England, where - purportedly because of the cool climate and energy costs - it's not economically feasible to raise lamb in commercial quantities. The study was also financed by the New Zealand lamb industry, if I recall correctly, which raises certain questions about self-justification.

I would very seriously question the assertion that Kentucky- and Indiana-grown meats cost more to produce for local consumption, or create more pollution, than meat flown from overseas.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:09 pm

Kyle L wrote:. Unless you're eating at a place that catches,cleans,and cooks all on site; chances are it's frozen.

We know some folks that run a commercial fishing boat(long line) in the caribbean right on the Atlantic drop off.. They are a small family run operation. The two brothers go out fishing for a few weeks at a time. They clean the catch on board and freeze on the boat. This is the case on many boats that dont come back to the beach every night. I have to say they have the best tuna I have ever tasted. When we are there we just eat it raw.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Tommy Walters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 pm

Lexington

by Tommy Walters » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:09 am

Be Patient.....[b]Furlongs[/b] is coming in November......
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Next time you dine at The Corner Cafe, try their "Cajun Seafood Alfredo" -- delicious!
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:04 am

I love the Corner Cafe. But then again, I am biased. The owners are family.
Previous