Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Basa Chef to open "732 Social" on E. Market this fall

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:38 pm

“732 Social” - Basa's Stephen Ton to open latest venture at the green building on East Market

Louisville - Located at The Green Building, 732 E. Market St., “732 Social” will open its doors towards the end of Fall 2008, Steven Ton, a principal of Basa Modern Vietnamese nominee and nominee in this year's James Beard awards, announced today.

According to the news release, The Green Building is the first commercial building in Louisville to go for LEED platinum certification (U.S Green Building Council’s designation of a sustainable building). The new concept will unite the community by a common thread through quality food and service. In addition, “732 Social” will embody the belief that sustainable practices will help minimize the negative impact on the environment we live in. This core philosophy will become a true extension of The Green Building.

Concept - “732 Social” is based on the belief that humans are social beings inclined to seek out and enjoy the company of others. The intimate dining space and open food counter will create a close interaction with the working kitchen and guest. The rustic, contemporary décor will showcase the modern American cuisine in a warm and intimate setting. The main dining space will have a seating capacity of 60 guests including a street side outdoor patio. A private dining space will also be available for catering events.

Cuisine - “732 Social” will feature the modern American cuisine of local Chef Michael Ton well known for his modern Vietnamese cuisine at “Basa” restaurant in Louisville. Teamed together with his brother, general manager Steven Ton, Basa was nominated as a 2008 semifinalist for the James Beard Award for “Best New Restaurant”. Chef Michael, a 1995 Culinary Institute of America graduate, will introduce his own interpretation of modern American cuisine by taking traditional classic American dishes and infusing traditional European ingredients and cooking techniques. The focus will be on quality, fresh, locally produced and seasonal foods. The menu will provide small and large plates that encourage the aspect of communal dining.

“732 Social” will offer dinner Monday through Thursday 3 to 10 pm and Friday through Saturday 3 to 1 am.
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

Re: Basa Chef to open "732 Social" on E. Market this fall

by Clay Cundiff » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:49 pm

Sounds kinda like Avec. Between this and Z's Fusion, I'm pretty excited about living 10 minutes from downtown.
no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

by DMcGarity » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:55 pm

I will be very happy to have Steven and Michael as "neighbors" again. I think they will bring alot to the E. Market area of downtown.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Not that the new Z's and this new concept don't sound great but it seems a risky proposition to make major investments in very nice restaurants downtown at this time with the closings of other nice places. I think the main problem is everyone leaves downtown after work and are unwilling to drive back downtown to dine in the evenings. I'm sure that Proof and a few others do good business in the evening but what what places downtown are doing just a booming business on evenings/weekends?

The Highlands and St. Matthews/Clifton have a large residential population and people from the burbs will drive there as a destination while they are less likely to drive downtown. Those are just my thoughts though.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Brian,

I think the main problem is everyone leaves downtown after work and are unwilling to drive back downtown to dine in the evenings. I'm sure that Proof and a few others do good business in the evening but what what places downtown are doing just a booming business on evenings/weekends?

You have a point, but the Z Fusion announcement specified that they are doing lunch too, as does Proof. (Not sure about 732 Social) So their business model is both lunch & dinner. The two places I know of downtown that do dinner only are Jeff Ruby's and Morton's - I'm sure their are others....

Deb
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:13 pm

I wasn't really saying that they weren't going to offer lunch but that it seems places don't do as much of an evening business downtown as other areas of town. And Primo does lunch also.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:44 pm

I Can. Not. Wait. To eat at 732. (Is it okay that I'm already assigning it a short name?)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Jackie R. wrote:I Can. Not. Wait. To eat at 732. (Is it okay that I'm already assigning it a short name?)

It's not merely okay, it's great! LouisvilleHotBytes remains on the cutting edge of local dining. We don't FOLLOW trends, we MAKE trends! 8)
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:32 pm

I met the new chef for Social, and he is young, vibrant, and sharp as a tack, I expect greatness from this restaurant.
no avatar
User

Garrett Hord

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

Louisville, KY

by Garrett Hord » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm

I am very excited since I work on E. Market Street. Mayan Cafe, Mellillo's and Artemesia all seem to be doing very well in our neighborhood. Honestly, the biggest critique I have heard from people regarding recent closings has to do with cost versus value of food.
foodie