Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Lamb Fries

User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Lamb Fries

by Jackie R. » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:38 pm

I ate in Bardstown this weekend at a little place behind the Old Bardtown Inn. I was too tired to think much about what I wanted to eat, so my friend (equally tired) and I saw lamb fries on the menu, and we thought, "I like lamb, I like fries, sounds good". ALMOST ordered, but last second, I thought to ask what they were. My friend is adventurous so it would have been easy to bypass the description, but when we were told they are testicles, my friend balked. I was too tired to argue, but the friendly bartender told me they're similar to fried liver. I love liver - is this something I should go back and try? Doesn't sound very good, but hey...
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Lamb Fries

by Doogy R » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:46 pm

Jackie R. wrote:I ate in Bardstown this weekend at a little place behind the Old Bardtown Inn. I was too tired to think much about what I wanted to eat, so my friend (equally tired) and I saw lamb fries on the menu, and we thought, "I like lamb, I like fries, sounds good". ALMOST ordered, but last second, I thought to ask what they were. My friend is adventurous so it would have been easy to bypass the description, but when we were told they are testicles, my friend balked. I was too tired to argue, but the friendly bartender told me they're similar to fried liver. I love liver - is this something I should go back and try? Doesn't sound very good, but hey...

When you dare to go, take me?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Indeed, Doog.
User

Bret Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 am

by Bret Donaldson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:01 pm

They are actually pretty good, once you get past the thought of what you are eating. Another good traditional Kentucky dish. Very popular on menus in Lexington and Eastern Kentucky - when I was at Spindletop Hall in Lexington they were one of our biggest selling appetizers.

I would recommend them - and depending on where you are trying them, they are DAMN good tossed in a little buffalo wing sauce. Let me know if you take the plunge, and what you think!
Bret Donaldson
Owner

Stellar Craft Catering &
Stellar Event Managament
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm reminded of this Chevy Chase scene in the forgettable movie "Funny Farm" :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4mqCDakVQ

"Just call me Mr. Lamb Fries!"
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Was involved with Columbia Steak House in the 80's. We served Lamb Fries with a white gravy.
If it makes you stop and think before you eat, imagine prepping them for an hour or so. They don't come in in pieces, they come in whole!
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

by Alise Oliver » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Wes P wrote:Was involved with Columbia Steak House in the 80's. We served Lamb Fries with a white gravy.
If it makes you stop and think before you eat, imagine prepping them for an hour or so. They don't come in in pieces, they come in whole!

I'm pretty sure they're still on the menu there...
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:37 pm

You have to peel them while they are frozen so that you can get the outer membrane off. Its a miserable prep. But they where big sellers at Hall's on the River served over white bread w/ white gravy. Bleh. Hope yours taste better. Some of the ones we prepped must have come from darn healthy lambs! Utterly Huge. Heh, utterly. baaaaaad humor. Sorry, I'll quit milking it.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:43 am

I remember that when I lived in Danville in the late 70's and 80's, the meat cases at all the larger grocery stores featured not only the raw lamb fries, but also turkey fries! Never saw the latter on a menu, never tried them, but the lamb fries are can be excellent, depending on the cook. I think they are akin to "Rocky Mountain oysters" a staple of Western North American cooking.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 pm

OK... I see a offline coming. Can you imagine 12, 13 oh my, 15 of us descending on this place and ordering lamb fries.

Who's up for it?

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Perry Parrent

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:13 pm

Bardstown, KY

by Perry Parrent » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Jackie,

Was Kurtz Restaurant the name of the place you ate?
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Nope, but they were just down the road, this place was behind the inn. Not very attractive on the outside, casual but spacious on the inside. I think Kurtz is a little more upscale, isn't it - for Bardstown at least? I'll google and come back with a name. Does Kurtz serve lamb fries, too.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:41 pm

Still Bill's Restaurant and Lounge.
no avatar
User

Perry Parrent

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:13 pm

Bardstown, KY

by Perry Parrent » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Not sure if Kurtz serves Lamb Fries or not. It has been a couple of years since I have eaten there.

There are a few decent restaurants in Bardstown, but we drive to Louisville practically every Saturday and Sunday to eat. The places here don't compare to most in Louisville, which is a shame. I know this is off topic, but I was kind of venting my frustration for the lack of quality food here.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:02 pm

Off topic schmoff topic. The best conversations segway to and fro like a boomerang. I like it when you flatter my best friend - the City of Louisville. Bardstown's alright in my book, too, though.