Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Primo closing

no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

Primo closing

by Ellen White » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:06 pm

Just got word that Primo is closing for good. The lease is up on their location and they will not be renewing. They are closing September 20.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Primo closing

by Doogy R » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:21 pm

This past Saturday I read about Primo closing on skyscrapercity.com. Being as it wasn't verifiable, I didn't post that info here. This is truly a big loss for East Market and the Ville as a whole. It was one of my fave restuarants and my mom sure loved it when I took her there for her birthday. So many residential projects in that area have either fallen through or have been put on hold. I believe this is one big problem for that area of town. A critical mass of residents just hasn't arrived to support the businesses. It will happen, just more slowly than envisioned a year or 2 ago. So sad.
Last edited by Doogy R on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:10 pm

wow. This is sad news indeed. We love Primo. :( :( :(
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Ellen White wrote:Just got word that Primo is closing for good. The lease is up on their location and they will not be renewing. They are closing September 20.

What the others said. A 90-plus (four-star) restaurant and one of my favorites in Louisville. Maybe came to East Market just a little too soon and then got hit by the Bush economy? A horrible loss.
User

Nicholas Lynch

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:16 pm

cresent hill

by Nicholas Lynch » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 am

All of us at Primo are feeling the loss, but we all understand that things like this happen. Its all part of business. And I do agree that Primo arrived a bit too early for the neighborhood. But all in all confidence is still high as well as spirits. Now the talent that was once Primo can expand outward. Good luck to all of us, and thank you. I never forget a good time.

Nicholas O.E. Lynch
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:35 am

Damn, third death on the strip this summer (Baer's Fabric & Market on Market being the other two)
Good luck Jeff McCracken and everyone else over there!
It's a lonelier place without you.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:03 am

Matthew Crow wrote:Damn, third death on the strip this summer (Baer's Fabric & Market on Market being the other two)
Good luck Jeff McCracken and everyone else over there!
It's a lonelier place without you.

And Market on Market was in the same building as Primo. Is Cobalt overcharging the rent? Just something to ponder.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:13 am

Bon Vivant Savant is hosting a Wine & Wisdom @ Primo tonight with Anne Northup and there are seats available. It is a three-course meal with passed wood oven pizza's during the Greet and Meet. Each course is paired with a glass of wine selected by Bim. Please call 287.2772 if interested. Thanks and yes, I do work with Jo self of Bon vivant Savant. And, this is very sad news regarding Primo closing!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 am

Caroline K wrote:Bon Vivant Savant is hosting a Wine & Wisdom @ Primo tonight with Anne Northup and there are seats available. It is a three-course meal with passed wood oven pizza's during the Greet and Meet. Each course is paired with a glass of wine selected by Bim. Please call 287.2772 if interested. Thanks and yes, I do work with Jo self of Bon vivant Savant. And, this is very sad news regarding Primo closing!!

That is the first time I have ever see "Northup" and "Wisdom" used in the same sentence. I won't comment on the appropriateness of using this sad thread as an opportunity to post a PR notice for a client.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:.... then got hit by the Bush economy? A horrible loss.

While I certainly agree that the loss of Primo is a terrible loss for Louisville I get tired of hearing everything being blamed on Bush! Here are a few facts I read recently:

George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years. The first six the economy was fine.
A little over one year ago:
1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) the unemployment rate was 4.5%.
4) the DOW JONES hit a record high--14,000 +
5) American's were buying new cars, taking cruises, vacations o'seas, living large!...

But American's wanted 'CHANGE'! So, in 2006 they voted in a Democratic Congress & yep--we got 'CHANGE' all right. In the PAST YEAR:
1) Consumer confidence has plummeted;
2) Gasoline is now over $4 a gallon & climbing!;
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);

4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 TRILLION DOLLARS & prices still dropping;
5) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
6) as I write, THE DOW is probing another low~~11,100-- $2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENPORTFOLIOS!
7) oil was $57 a barrel in November 2006, and has continued to rise to a high of $142 a barrel

OK, I'll get off my political bandwagon now and will return to discussing food!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:55 am

Sorry Robin, since someone posted about Primo closing, I thought this would be a nice place to mention an event taking place there...BVS also hosted a Wisdom with John Yarmuth last Tuesday...the format of the event was to make it an educational non-partisan event on politics with food and wine as the backdrop. Was not really thinking of it as a PR plug...since I KNOW to always ask permission.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:25 am

Mark R. wrote:

While I certainly agree that the loss of Primo is a terrible loss for Louisville I get tired of hearing everything being blamed on Bush! Here are a few facts I read recently:

George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years. The first six the economy was fine.
5) American's were buying new cars, taking cruises, vacations o'seas, living large!...

But American's wanted 'CHANGE'! So, in 2006 they voted in a Democratic Congress & yep--we got 'CHANGE' all right. In the PAST YEAR:

4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 TRILLION DOLLARS & prices still dropping;
6) as I write, THE DOW is probing another low~~11,100-- $2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENPORTFOLIOS!
7) oil was $57 a barrel in November 2006, and has continued to rise to a high of $142 a barrel

OH, and let's not forget it was the Clinton administration who INSISTED that everyone who wants to buy a house should be able to buy a house..........

Now, I'm stepping off my soapbox!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:53 am

Bill Veneman wrote:
Mark R. wrote:

OH, and let's not forget it was the Clinton administration who INSISTED that everyone who wants to buy a house should be able to buy a house..........

Now, I'm stepping off my soapbox!

You guys aren't serious right?

Either you're joking, or your lack of understanding of what has really gone on is earth shattering. Epic even.

Way to pull a few figures off Rush Limbaugh's web page and mis use them though. Very Foxnews of you.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 am

Caroline,
Thanks for the heads up about the event. Although not a Northup supporter, I think it would be a fun event to attend and help rock out the last few weeks of Primo! If I can just get my husband to leave that office of his, maybe we can make it tonight!
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:05 am

Very sad indeed. I do think location is the overiding factor in this situation. As Doogy noted there just aren't enough people living in the immediate vicinity. Look at Mojitos or Seviche on Goose Creek...they seem to be doing ok despite high gas prices.
Next