Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Boone Tavern Inn

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Boone Tavern Inn

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 am

Had a mighty fine weekend in Berea. My brides family reunion was held there this past weekend and we had our usual great time catching up on the family. Boone Tavern Inn is in the middle of a $10 Million renovation which should finish up in mid 2009 to celebrate their 100th anniversary. The whole second floor of the Inn is now closed and being completely renovated. We stayed on the 3rd floor and our room was nice in a 1948 style way. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it reborn next year.

As the kitchen was the first to be renovated I asked for a tour from the kitchen manager and they were happy to show it off. The space has been opened up and a row of windows on the back has been added making it very light. They have individual gas line hook-ups in the floor so they can move the stations around as necessary depending on how much space they may need for prepping and cooking for any given event. All new walk ins, dishwashing and the usual. They proudly pointed out the large standing 1948 Hobart mixer. They had it rewired and polished up and it still is the only mixer that has been making their famous spoonbread since then.

We had the Sunday Buffet yesterday and it was very good. The usual suspects for breakfast food and green beans, steamed fresh vegetables, fried chicken, mashed taters, omelet station and a hot carving station rounded out the bill of fare. 4 desserts available and good strong brewed ice tea.

The fried chicken was battered in spoonbread mix which made for a very interesting crust. Like a thick cornmeal coating but without any discernible grease present. It was delicious.

We headed down there Saturday night and had Papaleno's pizza for dinner. Hand tossed fresh dough makes this pizza stand up very well. It is a fine example of the small town pizzeria. Giovannis Pizza in West Liberty, KY makes a similar style pie. Good sturdy crust with large chunks of spicy sausage and large, thick pepperoni rounds.

Good weekend for small town Kentucky chow.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Boone Tavern Inn

by Ethan Ray » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:56 pm

I grew up in Berea, and my first job was with Sodexho, at both the College's dining services and in Boone Tavern's kitchen.

It's nice to know that they're investing some money into the place, It really has a lot of character.
You should have seen the kitchen when i was last there (2002). A space that old, and that hadn't been really taken care of properly... well, it showed.
The walk-ins were pretty scary (not talking about the shape they were in...) It literally felt like you were in a submarine buried under ice in the arctic.

The kitchen always had small windows facing Short St. Perhaps they made them larger?

Papaleno's is probably the best independent place in town for a quick bite, nothing I've had there has ever been bad.
As I'm sure you can imagine, it's a favorite hangout for the students.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.