Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Who loves White Castles?

Love 'em!
74%
Tolerate 'em
9%
Neutral
2%
Dislike 'em
2%
Can't stand 'em
9%
Other
4%

Total votes : 100
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

POLL: Who loves White Castles?

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:58 am

8) I posted this on the Facebook group ... now let's pick it up over here with a poll!

We lunched at White Castle yesterday, a guilty pleasure that I indulge only about once a year. Anybody else willing to confess a similar attraction? (It's that quality brown Dusseldorf mustard that brings it all together ... )
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

Re: POLL: Who loves White Castles?

by AmyBK » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:05 am

I LOVE White Castles! Morning, Noon or night, extra pickle, with Dusseldorf. Louisville is about the only market that uses the Dusseldorf. Indy WCs use a weird horseradish mustard and it seems that the Ohio WCs use ballpark mustard. Try them with a thin slice of tomato (I know it sounds weird to put something healthy on a slider) and they are terrific. OK, now I'm hungry.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:14 am

AmyBK wrote:Louisville is about the only market that uses the Dusseldorf. Indy WCs use a weird horseradish mustard and it seems that the Ohio WCs use ballpark mustard.

I had no idea! I just assumed it was chain-wide, and it always amazes me that it's such quality stuff. Maybe it's Louisville's German heritage showing? But then you'd think Cincy would have it ...
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:16 am

I get the "craving" about 3 times a year........double bacon cheeseburger. Only problem is I can't plan on doing much of anything for about the next 24 hours, as they "upset" the system afterwards.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 am

Love them very, very infrequently these days. Fond memories of my youth carousing into the wee hours and then heading to the aluminum room for sustenance (or the straw for the camels back, some nights you win........). 18 cent hamburgers!
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:31 am

Back when we lived in Rochester and drove home here to Louisville three or four times a year, we would time our pit stops for maximum White Castleage. The first place we could get them was at exit 116 just north of Columbus. When our kids were little we drove through the night, which meant White Castles at about 3 in the morning. Our sons got just enough of them to develop the necessary desire. Our oldest son eventually moved here, no doubt in part to be able to get sliders more often.

The Dusseldorf is essential. You can't get it in Cincy or Columbus, which is national HQ. My wife and I have developed certain necessary rituals for White Castles in order to assure optimal heat and pleasure, which is essential for full enjoyment: first, eat them at the restaurant. Don't get carry-out unless you eat them in the car. Second, Order only two or three at a time. If you want 5 or 6, don't get them all at once. The last ones will be too cold. Third, do not open a White Castle. Dip your Dusseldorf. Opening a slider releases vital warm flavanoids. Forth, order extra pickles. I have actually seen someone ask for no pickle. Such people are communist sympathizers.

Long ago, before microwaves, I had 50 White Castles flown to Rochester for our anniversary. I spread them secretly around the house to defrost them, then warmed them in the oven. I surprised my wife with the perfect meal, served on silver platter: Sliders and a vintage Bordeaux.
no avatar
User

Steve Saks

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Eastern Louisville - Polo Fields

by Steve Saks » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 am

I absolutely love them, though, for the most part, they do not love me.

I grew up eating White Castles.... During the late 70s my parents would pack me and my brother into the car for a ride to the Lynbrook train station on Long Island. Nestled under the elevated Long Island Railroad was a White Castle..... Man, I loved those trips.

I must say, though, that I'm kinda disappointed in the White Castles outside of New York. (Let me rephrase that, I'm disappointed in the White Castles outside of New York that I have been to. I cant speak for them all because I havent been to them all.) When ordering them at the Lynbrook and the Massapequa White Castles, you could get the Burgers "Steamed". They had this silver box with a drawer on the front that they would put the burgers into...then they were enveloped in steam.... This would melt the cheese and make then nice and hot.... (Oh man....I'm getting hungry just thinking about it....) I dont know why all the White Castles dont do that....

Well, that's my 2 cents....

Steve
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:22 am

Ick!
MissChele
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:28 am

I fall into the "Can't Stand Them" category, I personally think they're the most disgusting food item ever contrived by man. What I don't understand is people who say they love them that only eat them once per year. If they taste that good for you I certainly think you'd want to eat them more often.

Do people really think they're good or do they just say they like them to be macho?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:37 am

Love 'em like a 'fat kid loves cake'...
--50 Cent

Soft bread, just the right crunch of pickle and onion, 24 hours? Are you kidding? I order at least five, with no sides. Big Red, thank you!

I also get the crave very infrequently, but it has more to do with timing than anything else. About 3am works for me...
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:48 am

I love them, but they don't love me. I also am biased as White Castle was my first job when I was a teenager. I will say that they pay better than most fast food places and have great benefits for fast food workers, they are generally a very clean establishment and while it is hard work, they tend to treat their employees very well.
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:52 am

I love them as well and always have and always will--I am one of those who can eat them anytime during the day and they really do not bother my stomach as I guess they do most...!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:04 pm

I love 'em and they love me. I reckon my first taste was back in the 60's at the one in downtown St. Matthew's. Alas, it no longer exists. Anyhow, my mom would take us kids over to granma's who lived a block away from Seneca Park. We'd go over there and wear ourselves out and granma would then cart us over to the good ol' WC Lounge. Ahhhh, those were the days. I could go on and on about some of my teenage antics at the same White Castle, but since some of those capers involved a night downtown, I'll just not go there.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:07 pm

Doogy R wrote:I love 'em and they love me. I reckon my first taste was back in the 60's at the one in downtown St. Matthew's. Alas, it no longer exists.

I'm surprised at the number of people who mention digestive problems with them. Can't quite figure what that could be coming from, as they're small, contain only about an ounce of meat, a small ration of onions (which are cooked), and they're not actually "greasy" despite their reputation, they're moist from the unusual way in which they are steamed on the onions.

Growing up in the Highlands, my home WC used to be the one at the corner of Eastern Parkway and Bardstown, which of course is long gone, too. :(

But we did get out to the Aluminum Palace in St. Matthews often.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:09 pm

I love'em too! I'm sure not as much as my brother though, who now lives in Boise. Every time he's in town, The WC Lounge is the first stop out of the airport! Then he has to have Pizza King! When he was in the Air Force, stationed in Alaska, our Mom went up for a visit and as her carry on,she had a sack of 10, 2 Pizza King pizza's and a 6 pack of Big Red!
Realtor, Semonin Realtors
Selling homes in beautiful Indiana
Next