Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Who loves White Castles?

Love 'em!
74%
Tolerate 'em
9%
Neutral
2%
Dislike 'em
2%
Can't stand 'em
9%
Other
4%

Total votes : 100
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: POLL: Who loves White Castles?

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Doogy R wrote:If it would cause a problem here, just delete my post about the youtube vid. Won't hurt my feelings.

Not what I said. It's not a problem HERE at all. I was just commenting that it looks like someone with an anonymous name has posted Mr. Schildknecht's intellectual property on YouTube without his permission. No problem with posting the link, Doogy ... like I said, no offense meant to you, and no accusation of wrongdoing. Just a side comment.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
C. Devlin wrote:I love this idea.... There are so many food-centered flicks.... Big Night, Babettes' Feast, Tom Jones, Chocolat, Ratatouille... um Lady and the Tramp for the wonderful spaghetti-eating scene, Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe, Like Water for Chocolate, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle (never seen that one, but want to), etc.

"Dinner Rush" may be the best of them all for portraying kitchen life, although the folks who put together "Ratatouille" did an amazing job of that.

Others with playing-with-your-food scenes, War of the Roses, Animal House....

The dinner scene in "Tom Jones"!

Which makes sex seem pretty much beside the point.... That whole marvelously silly scene ends up being so much more than a metaphor for sex which of course is just a reference for appetite in the first place, which brings you right back to the significance of the fabulously greasy chicken. I'm thinking it left people just wanting a great roast chicken more than anything. I love that movie.
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

by todd richards » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Can someone send me a crave case w/ extra pickles? We have Krystals... Absolutely awful. One bun side of Krystals is bigger than an entire white castles.
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Years ago I had a boss that decided to bring in WCs for lunch for everyone. Everything was good until later when it became apparent that something in the sliders was not right, and we were all going down with food poisoning. That was about eight years ago, and I haven't had whities since.

I can appreciate that accidents happen, and that this was a one time thing, but still, I saw things coming out of me that noone has ever seen in the history of mankind. It just kind of turns you off on a thing.

So I have to go with "Other"
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Josh A wrote:....I saw things coming out of me that noone has ever seen in the history of mankind. It just kind of turns you off on a thing.

I've had the same thing happen both times I tried them so I think it may be just the effect they have on some people, since I'm sure they weren't bad both times I had them. I also know some other people who they have the same effect on. :oops:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:14 pm

Mark R. wrote:I've had the same thing happen both times I tried them so I think it may be just the effect they have on some people, since I'm sure they weren't bad both times I had them. I also know some other people who they have the same effect on. :oops:

Yeah, I thought about that, but since it hit everyone who ate them that afternoon, and I'd had them before with no ill effects I figure it was a bad batch this time.

Does WC still have decent coffee? That was always one of the two things I remembered about them, along with Big Red on tap.
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

by Leslie Stewart » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Decent coffee, but not up to par with what passed for really good coffee a couple of decades ago. The packaged stuff they sell in the grocery stores under the WC name isn't worth buying.

As for digestive effects, I try not to think of them as sliders so much as I think of them as one day purification diets! :lol:
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:05 pm

A few WC fish sandwiches (w/cheese), an order of onion rings and a Coke....this is a great country!!
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:26 am

Robin, Did you know that you can also get "seasoned" fries in the Indy area? They are awesome! I really enjoy the horseradish mustard as well. I emailed White Castle to see if we could get these extra here and their reply was that it's a regional thing so no. You should give them a try next time your in the Indy area!
Realtor, Semonin Realtors
Selling homes in beautiful Indiana
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:28 am

DeeDee D wrote:Robin, Did you know that you can also get "seasoned" fries in the Indy area? They are awesome! I really enjoy the horseradish mustard as well. I emailed White Castle to see if we could get these extra here and their reply was that it's a regional thing so no. You should give them a try next time your in the Indy area!

Thanks for the tip, Dee Dee! I wonder if the Indy seasoned fries are anything like the Ollieburger fries here. :-9
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:37 pm

Bringing this thread back from the dead with a couple of updates:
1. I stopped at the St. Matthews WC tonight and the drive through was dead--no wait! When I picked up my order of five sliders with mustard, the bag contained a flyer announcing that store is closing (last day: December 24) and providing a list of the nearest three WCs (none of which is all that close to me) and a coupon for three free sliders (yum). The Burger King a couple of doors down was doing a hopping business, despite the giant sign not being lit up (it seems to be malfunctioning a lot lately).

2. Here is a link to a more recent upload of "My Porcelain Past." It was uploaded by an account called Germantown Films, which I assume is owned by the person who originally produced it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK44CcAiCJk

Very interesting, and sad that it's a Valvoline Instant Oil Change now, although there are a lot of great food options along that section of Bardstown Road.

I second the sentiment that Krystal is a low-budget imitation of WC.
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:31 pm

How much do I love White Castles, let me count the ways...
My wife and I live west of the Mississippi and that means none for us until we visit home. After a 10+ hour drive our first stop after gas is at the Elizabethtown I-65 White Castle because we can't wait to get all the way to Louisville. Then we usually indulge again before we return home. No ketchup, mustard or cheese for us, just the original and if it has an extra pickle that's ok.

We have loved these since the White Castle people got mad if you called them sliders. My oldest memory is my grandfather buying them by the bag for 12 cents apiece at the one on the corner of old 7th street and berry boulevard.

Did I mention we love White Castles?
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:59 am

Robin, not sure if this has already been mentioned here, but I voted "other" because of a choice not offered....."loveD 'em!", as in "?past tens"e. That would've definitely been my choice because the quality/taste of the current sliders is just not up to what they offered back in the '60's! Even the buns - particularly at the current St. Matthews location - are not the same as the one's, say, in Buechel.
Like I said, I loveD 'em, but not so much any more....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:32 am

Awww, I hate to hear that, Willie. Honestly, I haven't been back since the pandemic. Now I don't know whether to try it or stay away. :cry:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:29 pm

Just an FYI, those of you who love White Castle in the St. Matthew's area, they are going to have to travel a little farther. It was published in business 1st today that the white castle in St. Matthew is going to close permanently on Christmas day.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
Previous