Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ pours it out for Come Back Inn

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ pours it out for Come Back Inn

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:03 am

At a surprisingly hefty 773 words, Marty's review of Come Back Inn (the Swan Street original) in today's CJ is, I believe, the longest essay that Gannett's editors have permitted in the shrinking SCENE for many years. It's a good, workmanlike review, too, with plenty of room to discuss Mark and Gena Wagner's Italian-American menu and describe a good selection of dishes. The report is more descriptive than critical, but the three-star rating seems to fit.

A taste of Chicago
The Come Back Inn excels with unfussy Italian-American specialties

Come Back Inn
909 Swan St.
(502) 627-1777
http://www.comebackinn.biz
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: CJ pours it out for Come Back Inn

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:33 pm

The review is about the original location, but kindly permit a plug for the downtown Jeffersonville Come Back Inn's great draft list of craft beers.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:36 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:The review is about the original location, but kindly permit a plug for the downtown Jeffersonville Come Back Inn's great draft list of craft beers.

Of course! He actually mentioned Jeff in passing, but nothing about the beer list.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:58 pm

I know this has been discussed before, but it seems that the Come Back Inn got the highest rating possible from the CJ for the type of restaurant it is. The service was fine, the food was great, not a disparaging word, but only three stars.

I guess the only way to get a better rating is a white tablecloth place that does as well as the Come Back Inn.

I much prefer Robins way which means that Flabbys, Cottage Inn, and Annies can get a 90s rating.

I wouldn't complain if it was put in writing that you have to be a fancy place to get a top score.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:45 am

I prefer the downtown Jeff location myself. Food is consistently great as is the service. No it's not white table cloth but still...
Maybe the number the stars given should reflect how soon you'd return for another meal? I'd easily eat there 2 or more times a week if given the opportunity.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:12 am

<-------------------- absolutely LOVES the Come Back Inn.

I can get quality Italian Food, but not feel like I'm out for an elegant dinner, which hits the spot sometimes.

Plus, their Antipasto Wontons are :shock:
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Love...Love...LOVE this place!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"