Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

asheville recommendations?

User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

asheville recommendations?

by Heather Y » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:59 pm

Taking the kid to Culinary school tomorrow, want to stop in Asheville on the way back.

I have seen what is out there, but does anyone have any positive experiences that they would like to share
about any particular place?

H
no avatar
User

Ryana D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Re: asheville recommendations?

by Ryana D » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 pm

What school? AB Tech or JW in SC? I know of two guys I compete with them work at Rezaz (http://www.rezaz.com). I have never eaten there not they both are darn good young chefs, and pictures look great. I dont know what time of day you will be there, but most breakfast/brunch places are great.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:47 pm

My wife is originally from Black Mountain and her family still lives there, here's a couple of restaurants she recommended:

• Early Girl Eatery (Traditional Southern): 8 Wall Street; (828) 259-9292 or http://www.earlygirleatery.com Go for breakfast and have a stack of multigrain buttermilk pancakes with double-cut bacon, accompanied by a side of stone-ground grits that are milled nearby and cooked to perfection. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, Saturday-Sunday brunch.
• The Market Place (Contemporary Southern): 20 Wall Street; (828) 252-4162 or http://www.marketplace-restaurant.com For more than a quarter of a century, chef and owner Mark Rosenstein has been coming up with inventive dishes made from fresh, local ingredients. One of our favorites meals included stuffed Oven Roasted Carolina Trout on a bed of Potato Galette with Sage Butter. When your server asks if you'd like a dessert soufflé, just say yes. Dinner.
• Tupelo Honey Cafe (Contemporary Southern): 12 College Street; (828) 255-4863 or http://www.tupelohoneycafe.com A must for Sunday brunch. Try the Crawley and Eggs--two crab cakes topped with eggs, hollandaise sauce, and asparagus. Lunch, dinner, Sunday brunch (closed Monday).

If you really want to get fancy this is where we went for our anniversary: Richmond Hill
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Hey Mark, Black Mountain is a neat place. Both my boys went to Camp Rockmont as camper and then as counselors. I drove there at least once a year for twenty-two years straight.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:Hey Mark, Black Mountain is a neat place. Both my boys went to Camp Rockmont as camper and then as counselors. I drove there at least once a year for twenty-two years straight.

My wife worked at a couple of the camps when she was growing up but I'm not sure which ones. Her mother is the church organist for the Methodist church there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:07 am

I'll second the Tupelo Honey Cafe suggestion.

I was in town to see Primus and my buddy and I were stumbling around downtown the next morning, absolutely starving. Their menu, and the wonderful smells, drew us inside. The best biscuits & gravy I've ever been served!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:40 am

Ha! My brother used to live in Black Mountain as well! He is a Warren Wilson College alum.

I second the Early Girl and Tupelo Honey recommendations! I also would recommend the Laughing Seed for a nice vegetarian spot and Mamacita's for casual mexican.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:36 am

Nice suggestions! Thanks, I was looking at Tupelo, and Laughing seed. Now I have validation!

He is going to Johnson and Wales!
no avatar
User

Houston Jones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:56 am

Lousiville, KY

by Houston Jones » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:16 pm

Have you been to The Biltmore? Great experience if you have never been, we had lunch there at the winery well worth the trip.
Improving the Louisville Dining Scene - Looking to open your own, buying or selling send me an email, Houston
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:18 pm

Heather,

We also had a great experience at the Biltmore restaurant ( American Bistro?) The one that is off-site from the main buliding near the winery.

We ate in an excellent tex-Mex fusion place in downtown near the galleries/shops. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but the decor was very colorful (blue and yellow) and they had great food and service. Loved it so much, we went back a second time (in a 4 day trip) , which we never do. I'll see if Brian remembers the name...

Deb
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:49 pm

Haven't been in Asheville for two years, but here goes: the Charlotte Street City Bakery - excellent bakery serving great coffees, cappuccinos, etc. They also serve light lunch, but I've just always stopped there for pastry and java. The place not to miss is the WNC Farmers Market. It is on the west side of Ashville just of the Interstate (40, I think). It is run by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and has been there for years. The Moose Cafe, which seems to be part of it, serves meals all day long featuring farm fresh produce.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:53 pm

My favorite Asheville restaurant is Bouchon. It is a french bistro. Great mussels prepared 4 different styles. Get the mediteranean if possible. It's spicy with tomato sauce. They remind me of the mussels at Mojitos.