Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Old Stone Inn - I really want to like it

by TP Lowe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:01 pm

I was at the OSI tonight, my first visit in awhile. It is quaint, historic, unique and delightful in many ways. I have a major nit to pick, then several good things to mention.

I have never been to a restaurant that rushes a diner as much as OSI does. My wife and I have experienced this before, and tonight was no different (although I was with two friends I only see a couple of times per year while my lovely bride was home with a flu bug I brought home from Turkey). Literally, we were told the specials by our server within thirty seconds of sitting down: before the water glasses were filled, before a drink order was taken, before we had cracked a menu. We barely had a chance to say hello to each other before the evening was off to the races.

I did something I usually would not do, and told the server that we did not want to go by the usual rushed schedule, but would control the tempo at our pace. I've never been so direct, but I knew what to expect and did not want to rush through my brief time with these friends. To her credit, the server took it very well, and went by our cue the rest of the evening. Excellent!

Dinner consisted of salads of very fresh berries and greens and a Ceasar (although it was interesting that the salads arrived before the appetizers, even though we ordered in the traditional sequence). Appetizers were fried green tomatoes, and a generous portion of brie, toast and roasted garlic (they should back off the roasting - the garlic was burned). Entrees were pork chops (for two of us) and fried chicken for the third.

Portions were very generous, especially for the pork chops: two large chops with a smoky flavor, covered with a BBQ sauce (which seemed a bit institutional to me). They were served with crispy asparagus, chops on top of rather dry but tasty grits. My friend's chicken was very crispy, not too oily and served with old fashioned mashed potatoes and green beans.

Desert was a lava cake, which looked amazing but, since I don't each sugar, I can't tell you much except it was well received by my friends.

Dinner for three with one glass of wine (an OK chardonnay from a decent by-the-glass list) was $95, plus a $15 tip.

Honestly, if they will just give us a chance to catch our breath and enjoy our dinner, OSI would become a favorite, especially since it is only five minutes from my house. But, I don't want to have to fight to have a leisurely dinner, so I'll try again soon and see if I have to be so blatant about not wanting to hurry. But, overall, an OK evening.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:22 pm

I had a similar experience there about two years ago. I just haven't gone back. My mother lives in Simpsonville and she goes periodically. Especially when it gets warmer and she can sit on the patio.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:23 pm

Probably wanting to make the most money per night....get em in get em out....
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:26 pm

I...told the server that we did not want to go by the usual rushed schedule, but would control the tempo at our pace....To her credit, the server took it very well, and went by our cue the rest of the evening. Excellent!

But, I don't want to have to fight to have a leisurely dinner

No offense, TP, but does simply telling a server of your tempo preference with her following your wishes to an "Excellent!" degree really constitute having "to fight" for a leisurely dinner -- at least to the point of overcoming what sounded like otherwise quality food, service, and, I assume, price?

Maybe I'm missing something.[img][/img]
Last edited by Vince Yustas on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Vince Yustas wrote:
I...told the server that we did not want to go by the usual rushed schedule, but would control the tempo at our pace....To her credit, the server took it very well, and went by our cue the rest of the evening. Excellent!

But, I don't want to have to fight to have a leisurely dinner

No offense, TP, but does simply telling a server of your tempo preference with her following your wishes to an "Excellent!" degree really constitute having "to fight" for a leisurely dinner -- at least to the point of overcoming what sounded like otherwise quality food, service, and, I assume, price?

Maybe I'm missing something.[img][/img]

Well, yes. It has happened on other occasions, and I don't think a diner should have to ask that the pace be comfortable and perhaps even considered normal. The "excellent" pacing was because I ensured that we weren't rushed in an out in an hour, which seems to be the norm.
no avatar
User

Terry Cook

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:10 am

Louisville; East End

by Terry Cook » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:36 pm

Considering you told the server up front that your preference was to have a slow pace, and they accomodated, I do not see how you can possibly have a complaint, espescially if the rest of the evening was "excellent".

I have never had the rushed experience that you mention and I have dined there on multiple occasions. Maybe my experience is isolated, I can't say, but I certainly would not attempt to call your experience the "norm", based on my experience.

Opinions are opinions but lets not generalize, at least on the negative, without proper research.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:40 am

T.A. Cook wrote:Considering you told the server up front that your preference was to have a slow pace, and they accomodated, I do not see how you can possibly have a complaint, espescially if the rest of the evening was "excellent".

I have never had the rushed experience that you mention and I have dined there on multiple occasions. Maybe my experience is isolated, I can't say, but I certainly would not attempt to call your experience the "norm", based on my experience.

Opinions are opinions but lets not generalize, at least on the negative, without proper research.

Where is the generalization? Multiple visits yielded the same results, which is why I asked the server to pace the evening.

And, "excellent" was not a review of the evening, but rather my personal satisfaction that I was able to control the otherwise rushed pace.