Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

Football season means time for WINGS

by Derrick Dones » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:43 am

I know this subject has been discussed quite a few times, but I'm wiondering if anyone has some suggestions for good wings outside of the standard Buffalo / hot wings box???

It's been awhile since I had the jerk wings at Cumberland...are they as good as Taste of Jamaica? Anywehere else have good jerk wings, or something else out of the ordinary?

Thanks. DD
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Football season means time for WINGS

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:21 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:I know this subject has been discussed quite a few times, but I'm wiondering if anyone has some suggestions for good wings outside of the standard Buffalo / hot wings box???

It's been awhile since I had the jerk wings at Cumberland...are they as good as Taste of Jamaica? Anywehere else have good jerk wings, or something else out of the ordinary?

Baxter Station and The Back Door are always worth mentioning for traditional-style wings ... I can't think of too many "non-traditional" varieties, although I do remember the newish BC Roosters out Preston having awfully good wings for a chain and a large selection of flavors.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:30 pm

I like the Caribbean jerk wings at CQ. The wings are large and juicy and come with an orange marmelade type sauce. I usually ask for blue cheese along with that.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:18 pm

The mango habenero wings are great at BW3
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Turkey Joe's has really good turkey wings. A nice change of pace from the standard chicken wing.

http://turkeyjoes.com/TurkeyJoes.pdf
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:08 pm

Firefresh BBQ has some pretty good wings. They are super tender and coated with a sweet bbq glaze.

http://www.firefreshbbq.com/menu.asp
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Jason Vaughn

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:23 pm

by Jason Vaughn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:48 pm

I think the best wings in town are BW3's Caribean Jerk. Add wedges and cheese and you can't beat it.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Jason Vaughn wrote:I think the best wings in town are BW3's Caribean Jerk. Add wedges and cheese and you can't beat it.

The Blazin' is the best, no doubt. But the OP was asking for something different.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Ditto's has excellent Thai wings, it is a peanut sauce, not spicy as with usual Thai food. Served on a pile of Tobacco onions. They have half and full orders, I think its 10 pieces for the half and 20 for the full.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Beef O’Bradys has a garlic-parmesan wing that’s different and very tasty. It’s available in both boned and boneless.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:20 pm

Mark R. wrote:Beef O’Bradys has a garlic-parmesan wing that’s different and very tasty. It’s available in both boned and boneless.

Turkey Joe's has a garlic parm wing sauce that rocks and it's not a chain. I know the chef and he is a Sullivan grad. BTW, nothing against Mark or O'Brady's, just propping the local folk.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:21 am

Thank you all for the suggestions, and please keep them coming. Some buddies and I are gathering for the NFL games this weekend, and the "food theme" this week is wings. I know we'll have plenty of BW'3's and other standard hot wings, so I wanted to bring something a bit different to the table...literally. I'm definitely going to check out the Turkey wings @ TJ's...and I might do some jerk wings from Cumberland or Taste of Jamaica. If anybody else has some different wing suggestions that we should try, I'd really appreciate the input! Thanks. DD
User

Luca B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 pm

by Luca B » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:38 am

I have said it before when this question has come up. O'Daniel's (2141 Buechel Bank Road 491-7053) has incredible wings. Not buffalo wings though; they are lilttle fried chicken wings and legs. Call ahead, ask for spicy, they are not really spicy just nicely seasoned. I bring them to parties all of the time, tailgating and whenever entertaining and they are a huge hit. Very juicy, perfectly flavored. 20 bucks for a 5 pound box.
Someone please try them and respond!
PS... Deano will vouch for them, had them when tailgating a year or so ago and he still talks about them.
User

Mike M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 am

Jeffersonville

by Mike M » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:48 pm

Second vote for Ditto's, and also Buckheads has some good wings, always served on chips...as for BW3, for a place that is primarily serving wings I think they are sub par and usually cold...HEAT your sauce!!
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:40 am

Maggie's in J-town has some great wings, both buffalo, and a bourbon glazed wing that is flat awesome...
Next