Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Funny food-related moment in my English class

by Matthew D » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Spent a portion of the class today talking about the difference between arguing and merely narrating. As we had been talking about food earlier in the class, I used an example of narrating a trip to a restaurant (simple narrative) as compared to reviewing an establishment (building an argument around value judgments).

One student talked about going to Cracker Barrel. Another mentioned Red Robin and a number of students chimed in with the "I like that place" and "I want to go there" responses. I was asked if I had been there, and I simply said, Nope." I was then asked why, and realized I could either lie (and keep the class moving) or tell the truth ( and possibly steer the class away from what was topically pertinent). I decided to give the truth and said, "I try not to eat at chain restaurants."

A few students let out audible groans. Seems their suspicions were confirmed - pretentious looking liberal dude turns out to be a pretentious liberal dude. They, though, seemed to "buy" my two rationales. First, I told them, I worked in corporate dining and now know too much. Second, and more importantly, the culinary scene in Louisville is too massive with great local establishments that I don't really try to learn about or visit chains. To be fair, I should have said, " I have not been to Red Robin, so I should withhold judgment." I guess my ideology got in the way.

I put together a strong enough argument concerning Louisville's culinary reputation that a number of students seemed interested (that won't happen often this semester!) Maybe I'll start giving recommendations for parental visits, and first dates, and.....
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.