Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Z's Fusion Opening Announcement

by Charles W. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:36 am

I don't think I've seen this on here. At least the first I've heard of it. Interesting on a whole number of levels.

Z's Fusion aims for November opening, hires Dallas McGarity
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Z's Fusion Opening Announcement

by Gayle DeM » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:48 am

Oh my gosh, is this exciting news. Sounds like a great choice for dining before the theater. But I don't know if my body can tolerate another great restuarant choice!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:47 am

Charles W. wrote:I don't think I've seen this on here. At least the first I've heard of it. Interesting on a whole number of levels.

i'm pretty sure the original announcement (but not the part about Dallas) was covered on the forum a couple of months ago.

Here's the formal press release from a local "management advisory" company:

"eats meets West" at Z's Fusion
New eclectic restaurant comes to downtown Louisville

Louisville, KY, September 1, 2008 -- Z's Fusion, where "eats meets West," will open November 2008 in downtown Louisville. Initiated on the west coast, fusion cuisine has grown in popularity across the United States. Louisville will have its first fusion restaurant soon. Fusion cuisine combines elements of various culinary spices and sauces to compliment the menu offerings.

Mehrzad Sharbaiani, founder of Z's Fusion, has selected Dallas McGarity as Executive Chef to work with him to develop menu offerings and recipes for this exciting new concept. Chef Dallas attended Culinary Arts School at Johnson and Wales University in Charleston, South Carolina. Having worked in several high-end restaurants and private clubs in England, South Carolina and Kentucky over the last ten years, McGarity brings an extensive knowledge of foods, spices and presentation skills to the new concept. Last year, Chef Dallas was invited to cook at the renowned James Beard House in New York.

"Chef Dallas' knowledge of which spices and sauces are complimentary, and how to apply the "fusion" of both to give the food an exquisite taste, will definitely be enjoyed by our guests. Our menu will definitely be unique." said Sharbaiani.

The new restaurant will be located on the northeast corner of Fourth & Market and will serve dinner nightly beginning at 5:00 pm and lunch Monday - Friday from 11:30am - 2:30pm. While Z's Fusion is affiliated with Z's Oyster Bar & Steakhouse, which was also founded by Mehrzad Sharbaiani, the menu offerings will be quite different. The philosophy of Z's Oyster Bar & Steakhouse is "simply prepared and elegantly served," whereas the philosophy of Z's Fusion is "creatively prepared and elegantly served."
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:01 pm

I searched again and found it in February. I guess it was long enough ago that I forgot!
no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

by DMcGarity » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks for posting that Robin. I hope to see some of you guys down there when we open. I am getting really excited about it all. The space is gonna be phenomenal....and I hope you think the same about the food :)
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Dallas,

Congrats on the new position! I'm thrilled that I'll be able to enjoy your food again - (I considered joining the club just for your food ..:wink:)
Seriously, the place sounds wonderful, and a great opportunity to create something new and innovative - which I know you will do in spades.

Wishing you all the best,
Deb
no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DMcGarity » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks Deb! I hope to see you down there when we get going.
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:16 pm

Since the restaurant will be opening fairly soon, I think it's time for the Kunz's signs to come down. I walk by there daily and the awning on Market still says Kunz's and the sign inside the LouieLink along the second floor of the Cowger garage still points the way to Kunz's Restaurant. Very misleading for the out of towners looking for a place to eat.
When in doubt, add more wine.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Good point. I believe the signage in the Walkway/Skyway has Kunz's listed too. This walkway is very highly used by out-of-towners/conventions. Dallas, you might want to mention it to the restaurant planners to make sure it gets changed in time.

Deb
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:59 am

The awning is now gone and there's a banner announcing the new Z's Fusion on the outside of the Cowger walkway at 4th and Market.
When in doubt, add more wine.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:47 am

Dallas, I am also very excited that you are going to be at Z's Fusion....that restaurant is going to put a lot of people on their ears.....with your talents, and Merhzad's vision, this place will ROCK!!!
no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DMcGarity » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks Rob! We are very excited as well. The menu is coming along smoothly and I think that it will be a great addition to the already thriving downtown market. See ya there....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:40 pm

This is old news, but I just noticed this utterly remarkable statement in the news release announcing the plan for Z's Fusion.

Louisville will have its first fusion restaurant soon. Fusion cuisine combines elements of various culinary spices and sauces to compliment the menu offerings.

FIRST fusion? Helloooooo? Asiatique, August Moon, Basa, Mojito, 610 Magnolia, the Oakroom under Chef Todd ... I thought for 30 seconds and have already used up all the fingers on one hand, and I'll bet you guys can help me come up with a dozen more.

I wish Merzhad and Dallas well with this venture ... I can't wait to try it! But FIRST FUSION RESTAURANT IN LOUISVILLE? Give me a break!

What we have here is further evidence that restaurant news is too importnt to be trusted to public-relations agencies.

Thank you. I have enjoyed this rant. Now back to whatever you were doing. :)
no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DMcGarity » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:23 pm

I totally agree Robin...I didn't even notice that. We will be getting a better proof reader for future press releases...I will see to it for sure...I don't even know who wrote that one! I will be checking in on that. :oops:

Our concept is gonna be different in that it is more on the Hawaiian/Pan Asian/ European niche in the market.

There are some great fusion style restaurants in town that are all totally different with styles and ways of fusing the ingredients into the menu. I apologize if that statement offended anyone. There was no harm meant just bad proof reading.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:40 pm

DMcGarity wrote:I apologize if that statement offended anyone. There was no harm meant just bad proof reading.

Dallas, I hope my affection and respect for both you and Merzhad was obvious from my post. No offense whatsoever meant to either one of you! I just kind of get on a mission when I see our local independent restaurants and their limited budgets paying out money for public-relations efforts that are generally unnecessary and occasionally actually damaging.

Not that I have strong opinions or anything ... ;)
Next