Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Where's everybody? Speak up!

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Never seen the forum so quiet on a Monday! Anybody have any good food experiences over the weekend? Any restaurant news? Or does the loomng recession have folks staying home and keeping their wallet button buttoned?

We had a great time at L&N over the weekend with a happy group of eight. It wasn't a review visit, but I'm reminded every time I go back there how it's one of the city's most comfortable and relaxing eateries. The wine program is great, it goes without saying ... but I can't remember when I've ever had a disappointing dish there, either. This time I grazed on small plates - a sweetbreads special over endive and grits that was amazing; that wonderful, seasonal stacked heirloom tomato and mozzarella caprese; and a wedge of Capriole goat-cheese tart that made a great match with dry red wine.

Talk to us about food, gang! Let's liven up this place!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Where's everybody? Speak up!

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Of course, it is actually a holiday, isn't it. Why am I working!?
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Busy recovering from the weekend, driving up to cinci and back. Friends took me out to a little place called The Cabana, out along the river, maybe twenty minutes west of cinci proper. Just a big wooden deck with lots of picnic tables set up. The food wasn't bad, and the steak hoagie I had was tasty, if a little greasy. The Steak on a Stick appetizer was definitely one of the best apps I've ever had though.

Also, apparently Hudepohl is being distributed again by one of the smaller brewers up there.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Excellent! Thanks, Josh ... sounds like a fun day, and what's not to like about steak on a stick? Not to mention "Rock your soul with Hudepohl ... "

Josh A wrote:Busy recovering from the weekend, driving up to cinci and back. Friends took me out to a little place called The Cabana, out along the river, maybe twenty minutes west of cinci proper. Just a big wooden deck with lots of picnic tables set up. The food wasn't bad, and the steak hoagie I had was tasty, if a little greasy. The Steak on a Stick appetizer was definitely one of the best apps I've ever had though.

Also, apparently Hudepohl is being distributed again by one of the smaller brewers up there.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Not much to add, but I'll toss in what I've got. Ate Mexican Friday night from what used to be El Nopalito on Brownboro Road. Diefferent name, changed menu, but I was told that everything else is the same. I didn't really like my meal, but I'll be back of course.

Saturday at the Worldfest I sampled some things from Vic Ivan's Ethiopian veggies. It was okay. Drank a beer - disappointing selection. Got one of those packaged sorbets that are in fruit shell. My mom had the coconut and I had an orange peel filled with orange mango sorbet. It was too hot to try anything else.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Saturday at the Worldfest I sampled some things from Vic Ivan's Ethiopian veggies.

Thanks, Jackie! I was amazed that Vic iVan has been open for 18 months for lunch but stayed under my radar. I don't recall seeing it on the forum either. Dunno about the veggies, but their chicken doro wot, even out of a plastic box, was awesome, with really deep, complex spicy flavors. I'm definitely checking out their lunch soon.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:21 pm

We did a neighborhood walk on Saturday and stopped into Seviche and Jarfi's for apps and drinks. Tenderloin seviche and wild mush/goat cheese empanadas at Seviche, lamb chops and house-made chips and salsa at Jarfi's.

Seviche was great as always - it was early (5:30), but service couldn't have been better (we sat at the bar - no reservation).

Jarfi's bar was able to accommodate us, as well. Great service, and Jeff gave us a tour of the dining rooms (I had been through before, though John had not). I will say again: people who would like to dine semi or totally privately with a medium-sized party (say, 10-12) without "renting" a special room, check into Jarfi's. Tables were set for parties of this size in a couple of the back dining rooms. An intimate atmosphere, beautifully appointed.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:42 pm

I already posted about my dinner at Corbett's. Lunch at Upton Cafe on Saturday. Lunch today at Cumberland Brewry...Sweet and Savory closed early and only served breakfast. We'll do dinner at home tonight. Work tomorow.....ugh!
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Friday evening, went to Lou Lou's and had the spectacular Red Fish special. Wow! Blackened red fish with a spicy sauce (I'm just not good at getting all the details ... sorry :( ) over garlic mashed potatoes and seasoned broccoli. It was delightful. Just spicy hot enough for my taste. I've never had red fish before and it was very good. My friend enjoyed the pasta with meatballs. We split Marsha's delicious tiramisu. This was the first visit for my friend, who had heard me raving about the place. They were very impressed. Our server, Dee, was her usual incredible self.

Saturday evening, dropped by Oceanside Restaurant on Klondike Lane. I was craving fish again and didn't want to drive over to Suburban Fish Fry, so I decided to try this little place. I ordered the Fish Box for two as a carry-out; included were four pieces white fish, six hush puppies and a butt-load of fries ... all for $11.59. The fish tasted fresh and I really liked the batter ... very light and non-greasy. The fries were W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L ... best carry-out fries I've ever had. I wasn't a big fan of the hushpuppies - they definitely had a Moroccan influence to them. They tasted like dressing from Thanksgiving dinner. I just don't like a lot of sage (I think that is what it was ... see above disclaimer!) in my food. I will return to this little place again to sample more of their fish offerings: perch, catfish, salmon, cod, shrimp and oysters They also serve some Moroccan dishes: Moroccan fish filet, paella, and Moroccan pastilla. (OK ... so it might be a few more trips!)

Sunday was left-over day and now it's Monday ... just finished roasting garlic for a new batch of hummus. Also roasted a combination of eggplant, garlic and onions which will be mixed with marinara and Parmesan for a tasty evening treat. From the smells of this house, there will be no vampires within miles ...
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Usual great dinner at August Moon last night. I'm such a wok-seared salmon pushover.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Rebecca Clark wrote:Friday evening, went to Lou Lou's and had the spectacular Red Fish special. Wow! Blackened red fish with a spicy sauce (I'm just not good at getting all the details ... sorry :( )

Excellent report, Rebecca! Please don't ever feel the need to apologize about getting an exact spice or aroma right - these things defeat even the pros! :mrgreen: You did a great job of describing your weekend eats, and thanks for helping wake up the forum on a very slow Labor Day.
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:24 pm

Had a great weekend-Went to a friends B-Day party which was held at Jack's-since I was talking so much I only had a nacho. This morning my daughter, boyfriend and I volunteered for the Mayor's Bike n Hike-GREAT turn-out-we are off to Red Pepper and hope they are Open...happy Monday and Labor Day!
no avatar
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:09 pm

We toured the St. Matthews market this Saturday and were again reminded of the most radical year to year change in the local food scene we have seen. This year heirloom tomatoes are everywhere! Last year a few vendors would have some in the corner and they were not sure of the names. This year the tomatoes are out in front. There are green, yellow, orange and purple ones. The shapes vary from round to oblong and even one that resembles a banana pepper. Most have colorful names as well: Mortgage lifter and slick willie. We rounded up fifteen different tomatoes and invited friends over for a comparative tasting. The winner was the Japanese black trifle. We thank John and Annie Hagan, contributors here, for supplying most of the tomatoes. PM us with an email address for images. A tomatocentric holiday weekend for us.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Robert Carnighan wrote:Mortgage lifter and slick willie.

We've grown Mortgage LIfters and Boxcar Willies, Bob - or I should say that Mary has. I believe they both trace their roots to small farmers looking for tasty, prolific tomatoes during the Depression.

Aren't fresh heirlooms great!? Taking nothing away from modern hybrids like Big Boy, but there's just a depth and complexity of flavor in the old-fashioned models, to me.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:44 pm

Doug and I went to Del Frisco's for our fourth anniversary on Friday night. It was delicious as usual. It's one of the most consistent restaurants in our opinion and the service was impeccable. Doug ordered the ribeye and I had the filet. Mine was cooked perfectly and Doug couldn't stop talking about his entree. Our sides were broccoli au gratin and the cheesy potatoes. My only complaint is the small wine by the glass list. They have one choice for each type of wine--of course this made my decision pretty easy.
Next