Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Simply Thai brings the heat for CJ review

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:58 am

Marty's report on Simply Thai today is largely devoted to a cute, well-done essay about trying to get spicy food as hot as you really want it at Thai restaurants, a problem he eventually solves after overhearing another customer ask for a "six" on a five-pepper scale. Not a bad idea! The digression uses up enough of his tight 585-word column to limit the space available for menu and food descriptions, but suffice it to say that he seems to love this little St. Matthews Thai joint (as do I), and writes a review that reads more like four stars than the three actually awarded.

Going over the top
A local hothead pushes spicy boundaries at Simply Thai

Simply Thai
318 Wallace Ave.
(502) 899-9670.
http://www.eatsimplythai.com
no avatar
User

Kevin Graves

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Simply Thai brings the heat for CJ review

by Kevin Graves » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:04 pm

I love Simply Thai. They have the best pad thai in the city hands down. Their thai salad is amazing. And their sushi is really good also.
Kevin J. Graves
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Kevin Graves wrote:I love Simply Thai. They have the best pad thai in the city hands down. Their thai salad is amazing. And their sushi is really good also.

I agree with almost all that, especially now that Sala Thai in J'town is closed.

I'd hold out one hand for a dish of Pad Thai from Thai Taste on Brownsboro on a night when the chef is "on," though.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:13 pm

They will do sushi with brown rice! :D
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:They will do sushi with brown rice! :D

Isn't that sort of like making a steak well-done, though? They CAN do it, but SHOULD they? :lol:
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:26 pm

Knowing full well that taste is subjective I would argue that the best pad thai in the Metro area would still be Mai's Thai in Jeffersonville. Never have I had a bad pad thai there and they will fix it has hot as you want it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Knowing full well that taste is subjective I would argue that the best pad thai in the Metro area would still be Mai's Thai in Jeffersonville. Never have I had a bad pad thai there and they will fix it has hot as you want it.

It's certainly a contendah! To be entirely fair, I will pledge myself to get back over to Mai's one day soon and check it out ...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Isn't that sort of like making a steak well-done, though?

You're making me miss Robert!
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:36 pm

My husband brought home pad thai last week. The tofu was tiny and skimpy. After a few bites I said, "they've changed it! It's not as good" That's when he told me he picked it up at Mai's instead of Simply Thai...who always have big, juicy chunks of tofu. Mai's also charged me extra for a sprig of cilantro! They can't touch Simply Thai, not even close.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:40 pm

TP Lowe wrote:You're making me miss Robert!

You never had to moderate this forum. :twisted:
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:38 pm

Linda C wrote:My husband brought home pad thai last week. The tofu was tiny and skimpy. After a few bites I said, "they've changed it! It's not as good" That's when he told me he picked it up at Mai's instead of Simply Thai...who always have big, juicy chunks of tofu. Mai's also charged me extra for a sprig of cilantro! They can't touch Simply Thai, not even close.

Odd, I was there Friday and didn't have any of the same issues you had and I'm sorry you had them. But as I said, food and restaurant preferences are highly subjective. You prefer Simply Thai and I prefer Mai's and we are both happy.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:38 pm

I've never had Simply Thai....given the good word I need to go soon!

Historically I've given the pad thai nod to Thai Taste on Brownsboro. It's just comfort food in the best sense. I have had Mai Thai many times and agree that it's wonderful. We must be lucky to have so many good Thai options. I remember when I had to leave town to get Thai food, Indian food, Japanese food, and so forth.