Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Resturants going green

no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Resturants going green

by John Lisherness » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 pm

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the take-out cutlery at Stevens & Stevens had changed and was told "they're made from potatoes".
Tonight, I got in late from a business trip and treated myself to a take-out Jack's Burger from Jack Fry's.
Getting home, I discovered they converted from styrafoam clamshells to pressed paper ones.
I just want to thank all the restaurants and cafés that take the extra step towards "going green".
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Resturants going green

by Marsha L. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:02 am

We use the green "eco-containers" at Cafe Lou Lou...they are made of 100% compostable materials. The "to-go" cups, lids and utensils are made of corn by-products. We also recycle almost all of our metal, plastic and cardboard. Believe me, this is not easy. Our kitchen manager/sous chef Mark makes sure everything gets to the recycling center - on an everyday basis, not just on the days he's on the schedule. We're happy to do it, though - and we're committed to doing it at our new location in the Highlands when we open, as well.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:32 am

For at least the last year or so, Heine Bros. (Frankfort at least) has strongly encouraged folks to separate recyclables from garbage, and to leave the recyclables up for the baristas to put in the bins.

Of course their corporate commitment to fair-trade, etc., coffees and teas probably also ought to count for something.

Another of our great Crescent Hill/Clifton coffee shops, Caffe Classico, I believe switched over from using plastic cups for cold drinks to paper a while back.

Going "green" doesn't require a huge commitment. Some simple and easy changes can make a difference.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:10 am

We also use the clam shells made of sugar cane pulp which will disintegrate in 4 months instead of 4billion years like Styrofoam. They are not cheap. But hopefully as more and more places use them the cheaper they will get.
Will Crawford
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:40 pm

RIGHT ON
we use recyclable plastic take out containers, cardboard, and AL containers at the CPC

where are you getting your sugar cane containers Will??

we also recycle darn near everything we use - plastic, Styrofoam, AL, paper, and cardboard

Foam Fabricators in New Albany's Industrial park recycles styrofoam, but you have to take it there

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:57 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:Foam Fabricators in New Albany's Industrial park recycles styrofoam, but you have to take it there

Yeah, but when you do, you end up REALLY close to La Rosita II and NABC! We never make a styro run without lunch. :)
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:where are you getting your sugar cane containers Will??

We get them from Eco Steward. Michael Drane is the owner.
2200 Winston Avenue Louisville, KY 40205 info@ecosteward.com ph: (502)212-1549 fax: (502) 413-5313
Will Crawford
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:25 pm

We've been using green products for EcoSteward for all of our to-go cups and containers for a while now. We're very happy with them. Amazingly, the corn by-product 16oz. plastic cups are less expensive than standard clear plastic cups. We also use the clear corn clamshell to-go containers. Michael Drane from EcoSteward is also great about filling orders as quickly as possible. We usually order things a few days before we need them and he often shows up with them the same day the order was placed.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:03 pm

This has to do with another form of eco-friendliness, but what do you all think of the trend in colleges of getting rid of trays from the cafeteria? I am wondering if this actually does help people get less food? Are restaurants doing this too? Just remember to give customers cooler plates and expect more spills...
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

ask about your city's response

by Nora Boyle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:22 pm

I know that El mundo hauls all of their stuff away bi-weekly in the back of her truck (which is a heap of recycling btw) also know that the city of louisville doesn't recycle for restaurants, so yay eco-steward, but wtf louisville? I've watched restaurants that will remain anonymous frustratingly chuck recyclable glass and such wishing tht the city would pick at least some of it up. Cudos to using recyclable boxes and all, but it isn't a drop compared to chucking all of your wine bottles and milk jugs? No points, sorry.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:28 am

thanks for the info Will

the city of charlestown doesn't recycle for businesses or homes anymore, but we're only about a mile from the recycling center, so 2/3times a week we load up a car or two and take all of our stuff there

DCE also recycles
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:47 am

Oldham County does not do a pick up for residents for Recyclables either but we have a center you can take it. I used to have to load up the hundreds of pounds of glass, plastic, and cardboard and take up the hill. What a pain. Then the county started using inmates from the county jail to run the center and now those guys come down to Westport and do a community pick up as well as my stuff. Yee Haw! You have got to love some non violent offenders.
Will Crawford