Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hand-held card scanners

User

PaigeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 am

New Castle, IN

Hand-held card scanners

by PaigeM » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:54 pm

So I'm at Molly Malone's the other night and they had the coolest thing: hand-held machines to scan your credit or debit card right there at the table. You can even push a button to automatically calculate your tip -- good for folks like me who aren't so great at math. Now I'm not the kind of person who gets all freaked out about privacy and theft, but I think this is a great idea. Plus it made it a lot easier and faster since we had six people all with separate checks. So props to the restaurant owners who get those handy little things. I like!

Oh, and the food was great. I had the poached salmon -- yummy and cooked just right -- with crisp steamed broccoli and peppery mashed potatoes. Others at the table were very happy with their lamb stew, shepherds pie, etc. And our waiter was awesome.
"Well, if you don't like butter, just use cream." -Julia Child
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:23 pm

These things are very handy. No disappearing with your card and very fast. Every place we ate in Scotland used them. The only drawback was remembering to add the tip before :) they run your card as they couldn't add on after the fact. We left quite a few tips in cash (which seemed to be preferred) before we remembered.