Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Buenos Dias Cafe

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Buenos Dias Cafe

by Kris Billiter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:46 pm

I had a funeral to be at today on Veterans Pkwy so I thought I would check out this new place and I am glad I did. It is a small shop in a strip mall type area off Lewis and Clark. The interior is painted orange I believe, but not an overly bright, blind you as you walk in orange. I immediately saw a sign with a lunch special of three gorditas and two sides for $5.89. The special was in in Spanish, but after a brief consultation with Daisy the owner (who is able to go go back and forth between Spanish and English with ease) to clear up a few of the words I wasn't sure about, I decided that the special sounded great! I was quickly presented with a huge plate with a bowl of rice and a bowl of beans. The rice was good, but nothing special, but the beans seemed to be a step up in the quality that I've had at some other restaurants. They were obviously homemade and maybe slightly more chunky than other places. The gorditas were outstanding. I'm not sure what the official name of the tortilla type bread that they were on is, but I was presented with three that had been opened on one end and stuffed with a different filling each. The first was ground beef with a few pieces of potato thrown in as well. The second was a stewed meat filling that had obviously been cooked in a red sauce. It was shredded and extremely tender. It had been cooked in a tomato based liquid with plenty of spices that left it flavorful, but in no way hot. This one was a little messy with the cooking liquid coming out and falling onto my plate. This was very good and very flavorful. The third may have been my favorite. It was a potato and chorizo gordita that was full of flavor and had a nice texture to it. The potato had been cut into very small cubes and the chorizo had been ground and the two worked really well together. The meal came with a homemade green sauce that was quite flavorful but again not too hot. After speaking with Daisy some more, I found out that they also had a homemade red sauce which she said was much spicier. After seeing my interest in the red, she brought some out and it was very tasty. Nice heat, but not enough to set me on fire. With a water and tip, my total bill was $8.30 and worth every penny of it! I highly recommend this place to all. I did hear her tell someone that their hours had changed and that they were now open until 7:00 so that people can grab something on their way home. As a side note, there is also a new BBQ place right next door which Daisy said was very good. Hope you all have a great day!

Kris