Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Fish

no avatar
User

JKVetter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:20 pm

So. Indiana

Fish

by JKVetter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:34 pm

Where is the best place for fish in Louisville? Like good grouper or salmon? Someplace other than Mitchell's. Although that is probably my favorite so far. ;)

Someplace where you can go and get good fish after a long day at Kentucky Kingdom, and someplace that is not Kingfish. We have friends coming down from Indy going to Kentucky Kingdom and want to go have fish afterwards.

Thanks in advance,

Jackie
Jackie Vetter
http://foodblog.jkvetter.com
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: Fish

by Mark Head » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Seviche...although not exclusively seafood.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 am

Mark Head wrote:Seviche...although not exclusively seafood.

Seviche would be a great choice, and Mark makes the important point that much of Louisville's best upscale seafood doesn't come at seafood-specific restaurants but at good general restaurants with wonderful seafood dishes on the menu.

Z's Oyster Bar and Steakhouse would be another good example, but just about every good spot has at least one awesome fish or seafood dish. The tuna Humphries at L&N being another great example.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:09 am

Cafe Perusa has a very good selection of seafood offerings. Very good. It's much better then Kona Jack's in Indy. No sushi though.
no avatar
User

Daren F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Louisville, KY

by Daren F » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:21 pm

The grouper plate at Havana Rumba is excellent and the atmosphere is very laid back (i.e., no need to change clothes after leaving Kentucky Kingdom). Also, they have a nice selection of cocktails.
no avatar
User

Julie Green

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 pm

by Julie Green » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:42 pm

along with seviche (oh the macadamia encrusted sea bass!), i have not had a bad fish dish at equus -their parmesan sea bass is their signature, and they usually have another fish dish to offer as well- the halibut was delicious. if you are looking for a more relaxed atmoshpere and something easier on the pocketbook, you can also get equus's sea bass in a sandwich form next door at jack's, their bar, which i adore.

if you want REALLY relaxed, make the drive to the south end for mike linning's fried fish-if you ask for thick filets, it'll be snowy white on the inside, perfectly crispy on the outside, and you can enjoy it with an ice cold beer at one of the gazillion picnic tables outside.
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

by BrianW » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:03 pm

I would steer anyone away from Mike Linnings lately, they are overcooking everything to a dark, burnt tasting brown the past few time I've been since the spring. For very relaxed and very competent fried seafood, in a come as you are setting see The Fishery or Market Street Fish in NA.

BW
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm

BrianW wrote:For very relaxed and very competent fried seafood, in a come as you are setting see The Fishery or Market Street Fish in NA.

Or the Fish House at Barret and Winter (opposite the Monkey Wrench), or Stan's Fish Sandwich (near the Fishery and Lotsa Pasta on Lexington Road) or Carolina Seafood or Seafood Connection (also in St. Matthews). I like the fish very much at all those places. Even the local Moby Dick chain, as I discovered to my surprise when I reviewed them with low expectations last spring, does an excellent job of frying fish.
no avatar
User

Julie Green

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 pm

by Julie Green » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 pm

if the sampling of flaky, delicately battered fried fish at the brew at the zoo the other night was indicative of what they serve at the restaurant, i second the carolina shrimp company recommendation (although the cocktail shrimp sample they offered alongside was wretched mush).
moby dick on the other hand, i have always found to be all batter no fish- i know they have a loyal following, but ugh...
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:38 am

If you want the staple Boston Scrod, there is no reason to venture from The Fishery, they are a staple in this town, and their HUGE clientale speaks to that.
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Daren F wrote:The grouper plate at Havana Rumba is excellent and the atmosphere is very laid back (i.e., no need to change clothes after leaving Kentucky Kingdom). Also, they have a nice selection of cocktails.

Let me second the grouper at Havana Rumba. One of our contractors, who is a very well-travelled seafood fanatic, stated that their grouper was the best he has ever eaten -- and the atmosphere is so friendly!
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

JKVetter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:20 pm

So. Indiana

by JKVetter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:19 pm

You guys are so awesome! Thank you so much for the recommendations. We have tried the Fish House on Market in NA. It is really good. I don't think they want fried fish. I think we might check out Havana Rumba's

Thanks again

Jackie
Jackie Vetter
http://foodblog.jkvetter.com
no avatar
User

Dave H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:41 am

by Dave H » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks for the props jkvetter, looking forward to your next visit...considering adding soft shell crabs to the menu...see you soon, Dave
Dave Himmel...Owner/Connor's Place & Market Street Fish House in downtown New Albany...aka The Codfather.
no avatar
User

Bobby R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:32 am

by Bobby R » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:40 pm

The "awesome sea bass" at Jarfi's is fantastic as well.