Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Blue Dog closed this week...

User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

Blue Dog closed this week...

by DeeDee D » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Robin, we are having the fondue tonight and found out that Blue Dog was closed this week, but to our surprise, found Blue Dog baguettes at Whole Foods! Is this a normal thing do you know? Also, found the wine and cheese there too, so we are ready to get out fondue on tonight! Using my Mom's original fondue pot from the 60's! Let you know how it turns out.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:17 pm

Blue Dog breads have been available through Whole Foods for some time now. It's my understanding that WF is limiting outside breads increasingly as they make more and more of their own, though, so I don't know how it might progress.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:27 pm

I thought the question was whether it was odd that Blue Dog bread would be at WF while BD was on vacation. Day old? Probably not, but a good question: who's baking if they're closed?
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:32 pm

That was our question too, who was baking if they were closed? But the bread was just deliverd and was still warm. No day old there.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Blue Dog closed this week...

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:46 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Robin, we are having the fondue tonight and found out that Blue Dog was closed this week, but to our surprise, found Blue Dog baguettes at Whole Foods! Is this a normal thing do you know? Also, found the wine and cheese there too, so we are ready to get out fondue on tonight! Using my Mom's original fondue pot from the 60's! Let you know how it turns out.

I should have posted this! We were in for coffee and pastries last week and they told us they were going to be closed.

Blue Dog takes more vacation than anybody I know! They close several times a year just to take a break. But to answer the questions in this thread, the close the restaurant and retail bakery, but continue baking bread commercially for clients even when the store is closed. That's why you still see it at WF, Doll's, Rainbow Blossom and all the restaurants that serve it (including the Oakroom and Proof).
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:53 pm

Just a little FYI note, but I was most surprised to stumble on a small quantity of Blue Dog loaves at the Highlands Kroger this week (Thursday, I think it was). Maybe they've been there a long while and I just miss out most times, but I don't recall having seen them there before.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:04 am

Only because it was mentioned, but The Oak Room also carries The Village Bakery breads.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:13 am

Well, my last message didn't seem to take....

Anyway, I can understand why Blue Dog would want to take a break now and again. Bread baking is supremely high maintenance.

But I also wanted to clarify that the Oak Room also carries The Village Bakery Breads.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 am

C. Devlin wrote:But I also wanted to clarify that the Oak Room also carries The Village Bakery Breads.

Interesting! And good for you! For what it's worth, though, we were in recently and noticed that we were being given Blue Dog slices - levain and cereal, specifically - and the server discoursed on that at some length. No mention was made of other sources.

That reminds me, spring is here! We need to talk ...
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Robin, it's been my understanding they carry both.

And yes, spring! Thank goodness it seems to finally be here. We'll have to arrange some time to talk.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:06 pm

C. Devlin wrote:Robin, it's been my understanding they carry both.

And yes, spring! Thank goodness it seems to finally be here. We'll have to arrange some time to talk.

We do in fact serve both Village Bakery and Blue Dog breads.
Estimating, I'd say that around 75% of the bread we serve is from Village Bakery. I think we only get in about 15 loaves of Blue Dog weekly.

I try to make sure the breads for service are varied as much as possible. (At least one loaf of everything if i can.) To be honest, when more bread needs to be thrown in the oven, it's usually the Village products that are being ate up faster - sometimes we use more Village bread in one night that we do with Blue Dog breads in the course of a week!

Hope this clarifies anything regarding the bread products we serve at the Oakroom.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:07 pm

I think all of us in the Oakroom can say for a fact that Village Bakery bread is hands down our favorite. That is why when there is a break in the action you see us all standing around the bread warmer eating bread (my personal favorite the blue cheese walnut bread). Its kinda like our little water cooler.
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Working on some new ones now too. Y'all make my heart glad.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:05 am

bdkollker wrote:I think all of us in the Oakroom can say for a fact that Village Bakery bread is hands down our favorite. That is why when there is a break in the action you see us all standing around the bread warmer eating bread (my personal favorite the blue cheese walnut bread). Its kinda like our little water cooler.

The bread warmer IS next to the water cooler, though. :lol:
And wasn't i saying something about standing around 'the office watercooler' just yesterday?

I'm definately gonna have to agree with Blake on this one - the bread we get from the Village Bakery is the preferred bread of the kitchen staff at the Oakroom.
(jeez, that last sentence sounds like a bad info-merical.) :wink:
We're snacking on it whenever we get the chance.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.