Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Quick question

User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Quick question

by carla griffin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:14 am

If anybody would know, it would be someone on these boards.
Does anybody remember a restaurant called "The Chapel" that used to be in the old Bakery Square area? (This would have been 25 years ago.) If so, are the once owners of that restaurant still in the Louisville area in the restaurant biz? I was thinking their name was De Latorres but I could be way off on that.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Quick question

by JustinHammond » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:15 am

http://www.delatorres.com/

I have no idea if it is the same family, but the name is the same.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:10 pm

I remember The Cloister, but it wasn't in Bakery Square was it? And the old Afro-German Tea Room. :sigh:

OK that wasn't at all helpful, but a nice trip down memory lane.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:23 pm

I worked in a restaurant in Bakery Square in my last life and don't recall that name. I remember eating at The Cloister which opened after I moved to NY but I remember it being in an old Ursuline convent or something like that.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:30 pm

No, this was definitely The Chapel. I remember the Cloister as well but this was over in Bakery Sq. We contacted them to have a wedding and reception there and circumstances, as they so often do, went haywire. Who ever had the restaurant at the time went way beyond the call of duty to help with my reception. Now that I am in a better financial situation, I would like to funnel my dining dollars back to them. A bit late but still....
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Al Musinski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Al Musinski » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Carla, I was the assistant manager there many, many years ago and part of the opening team. I have to give this some thought but there were 4 owners. 2 doctors, Dr. Arena , Dr. Ben something can't remeber his last name. He was one of the cool ones I remember. 1 dentist , Dr.Peterson and a camera clinic owner Schumann. He also owned the cloister. It was a very cool restaurant back in the late 70's early 80's. Man I'm old. I can remember having an opening chef from the Abby in Atlanta that was the wildest chef I have ever met. He was from France and HATED being in Louisville , Kentucky training. He was part of the deal with the Abby to help train the staff. If I recall the other doctors last name I will post it.
I always think better with a full stomach.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks Al. Any info on why the restaurant closed? It happened at the same time of my wedding. Aug in '84
Carla
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:06 pm

This doesn't really help, but does show a history of Bakery Square. I thought is was neat. I'll dig deeper to see what I can discover for you.

http://www.bakerysquare.com/index.cgi?id=6
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:59 am

Okay - I might be nuts, but wasn't the restaurant at The Cloister spanish and it had moved from the east end? Maybe Restaurant Raposo? Or am I merging two together. I do remember going to both the east end Spanish place and the Cloister. I never went to the Afro-German Tea Room but think about it everytime I pass St. Martin's (right?) downtown. I don't remember an upscale restaurant in Bakery Square - more lunch places and boutiques.
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:21 am

The original restaurant at Bakery Square was the Stables. It was followed by a place run by a Dutch pastry chef who kept a large sandwich board out in front with his picture and winning metals. The Dutch chef (? Vin, Vim) moved and opened opposite the Mid City Mall in a house.
no avatar
User

Al Musinski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Al Musinski » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:26 am

Carla, I hate to say this but it is the truth. It closed because people stop coming there because of the crime. I remember every weekend night calling the police because of people breaking into their car. We had a security guard in each lot and they were fenced in parking lots. I remember that the wheels were stolen off a jaguar and I had to take the customers home. I also had someone steal my stereo out of my mgb right outside the kitchen door in the day light. They did not re-open to the best of my knowledge. It was pretty cool to see the staff in monk ropes doing table side dishes. Reid was the last name of the other doctor that was a partner.
I always think better with a full stomach.
User

Kevin Maloney

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:59 pm

by Kevin Maloney » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:05 pm

I was the chef of the Chapel from Dec '78 to Aug "80. The principal owner was Ray Schuhmann of Photography, Inc. He was the visionary, responsible for The Cloister. The Chapel Restaurant was housed in the former chapel part of the enclosure with eclectic shops taking up residence throughout the main building. The Cloister was on Chestnut St. at the Shelby St. intersection. Bakery Square was just down from the double spired St. Joseph's Church. The Butchertown Pub was right around the corner. It (Bakery Square) was on Washington St. The Afro-German Tearoom was located at St. Martin of Tours complex on Shelby St. It was a stone's throw from the kitchen entrance of The Chapel. The concept of The Chapel was based on an Atlanta restaurant called The Abbey. When The Chapel opened, two german chefs came up from Atlanta to assist in our opening, Chef Hans and Chef Dieter. There were other owners that had small shares, but I do not remember their last name, just that he was Dr. Paul, last name beginning with the letter "A". Try contacting Photography, Inc. to find out more info on owners.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Carla, I think only one of the original owners is still living and, if it is who I think it is, I know him. Do you want me to talk to him about your inquiry, whatever it is?
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:44 am

That's very thoughtful Jeffery but not necessary. I was hoping they might still be in the biz and I could swing by. But should you find yourself in conversation with him you can say that their catering for my wedding was over and above all of our expectations. I hate for good works to go unacknowledged and I'm afraid that in my youthful self-centeredness I never fully thanked them for functioning under difficult circumstances.
Carla
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:21 pm

Will do, Carla. Glad to help.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.